1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

First Click Fraud, now Impression Fraud (CTR Rates hurting lately?)

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by roadies, Feb 3, 2005.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/03/google_adwords_attack/

Dubbed...ouch. I haven't seen any issues with any of my clients, but this article seriously has my ears perked.

roadies, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  2. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    That is certainly an interesting article. Well worth paying attention to and see what develops.

mopacfan, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  3. roadies

roadies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I agree MP. Wish there was more information or an official Google response somewhere. Seeing this newsbit mainstream in CNN, NYP or WSJ would be nice, heh, even better if MSN or Y! news picked it up.

roadies, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  4. Rjx

Rjx Peon

Best Answers:
    this will be a tough one for google to crack, fighting against a legion of open proxies is no easy matter especially as large lists are freely available on the internet in many places

Rjx, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  5. pg20706

pg20706 Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting article. I guess advertisers need to pay more attention to their keywords/CTR, maybe have some software to alert them if something like that happens.

pg20706, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  6. Juls

Juls Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i hope that my site is not being effected.... :-( sounds really bad... i wonder what their motive is... since 2005 i have seen an increase in ctr but a decrease in conversions... :-(

Juls, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  7. roadies

roadies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    most advertisers check their adwords frequently that they should notice drops. We check daily but haven't noticed any problems yet. We are on the lookout now, I don't forsee too many problems and I'm sure goolg will implement some sort of check and balance to prevent this from occurring too frequently.

roadies, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  8. seank1

seank1 Peon

Best Answers:
    It is a well known risk and should be priced into the adwords max CPC. Adwords is a numbers game, that is to be played with large numbers.

If you're noticed a high CTR and low conversions, then you've got the adjust your Max CPC.

But the trouble comes when a competitor is generating the fake clicks giving him an advantage since your costs go up but his stay the same.

seank1, Feb 17, 2005 IP