1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Firewall from Cloudflare and native server Firewall

Discussion in 'Apache' started by lapidus, Sep 29, 2021.

Hello folks

If someone can help me how to fix this .
    I have very interesting and little bit strange thing about activating Firewall on my server.

At my server i have 2 sites with PRO plan from Cloudflare. So in that PRO plan those two websites are protected from DDOS and have Firewall.
    Now,by default Firewall at my server is installed but not activated.

When i activate Firewall at my server with command
    sudo systemctl enable firewalld
    for rest of my sites , then i see message "host error" .
    And when i disable firewall via Putty : sudo systemctl stop firewalld then everything back to normal.

Question:

Why when i activate firewall for my whole server via Putty, then my sites not work and i see message " host error"?

The point why i want to do this is:

I do not want to pay for rest of my sites on server Cloudflare PRO plan,and i want to protect other sites which are not on Cloudflare PRO plan,with native Firewall from server.

lapidus, Sep 29, 2021 IP
  2. radiusdanu

radiusdanu Notable Member

Best Answers:
    CloudFlare free are pretty enough as protector from DDoS. Activate one firewall only.
    Firewall on server vs built-in CloudFlare Firewall will cause your host error.

radiusdanu, Sep 29, 2021 IP
    lapidus likes this.
  3. lapidus

lapidus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So then i need to remove those two sites from Cloudflare,and again to activate server Firewall?

lapidus, Sep 29, 2021 IP
  4. radiusdanu

radiusdanu Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If your server support firewall and DDoS protection, there no need to use it anymore, BUT CloudFlare can help to save lot of bandwidth ;)

radiusdanu, Sep 29, 2021 IP
  5. lapidus

Best Answers:
    Yes,that is clear. But when i enable firewall at my server then i got error: "Host error" and i can't see sites. When i stop firewall from SSH then website back online. Did this is a problem if my sites are pointed to Cloudflare and then firewall from my server can't work?

So i need to remove my two sites from Cloudflare who have Cloudflar's firewalls, and then i will not got "Host error" and firewall from my server will start to work right?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    lapidus, Oct 31, 2021 IP
  6. lapidus

Best Answers:
    Is there anyone who can help me about my problem? Thanks

lapidus, Jan 29, 2022 IP