1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Firefox web browser not working

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by learnwebsitedesigncom, Jul 13, 2015.

So Firefox automatically updated a while back and ever since then it's not working for me. Websites won't load, at all. Is anyone else having this issue? Also, I'm on a Mac, I don't know if that's relevant here or not. Anyway, does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Thanks

learnwebsitedesigncom, Jul 13, 2015 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I don't know if there's a way to troubleshoot a browser. From my experience, the only way you can fix a browser is by completely removing and then re-installing it.

qwikad.com, Jul 13, 2015 IP
  3. learnwebsitedesigncom

learnwebsitedesigncom Active Member

Best Answers:
    I did remove it and then install it and it still doesn't work. I've been searching for solutions but it's still not working.

learnwebsitedesigncom, Jul 13, 2015 IP
  4. Benpick

Benpick Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It could be that you have a firewall or antivirus that doesn't allow firefox to connect to the internet. You may want to check this possibility. If this is the case then just set the firewall/antivirus to allow it to connect to the net.

Benpick, Jul 13, 2015 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  5. Zirkon Kalti

Zirkon Kalti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sometimes, updating firefox browser will make the browser stuck instead of improving user experience. If you can't get Firefox to load, you can try other browsers such as Chrome.

Zirkon Kalti, Jul 15, 2015 IP
  6. x-man

x-man Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you want something similar to firefox (share same platform) but without problems you can try pale moon browser - http://www.palemoon.org/ , I using this browser few years and in any time I have open minimum 10 windows with many many tabs and this browser never crash on my pc, before this browser I used FF and that browser simple MUST CRASH, for them always must be some reason for it...

Also you can try Waterfox - https://www.waterfoxproject.org also based on Mozilla code...

And yes you can try Chrome if you like google :D

x-man, Jul 15, 2015 IP
  7. learnwebsitedesigncom

Best Answers:
    @Benpick I tried that and it doesn't work.

@Zirkon Kalti yea I'm using Chrome as my primary browser now.

@x-man thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely check them out

One reason that I like using Firefox use because it gives me the option to view the width and height of the browser window in the browser tab, which helps me when I'm building a website and I need to check that it works on all screen sizes. Does anyone know of another browser that offers this option?

Thanks

learnwebsitedesigncom, Jul 15, 2015 IP
  8. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I use http://quirktools.com/screenfly/ to test my sites in all screen sizes.

qwikad.com, Jul 15, 2015 IP
    learnwebsitedesigncom likes this.
  9. learnwebsitedesigncom

Best Answers:
    @qwikad.com Thanks. That's exactly what I've been looking for.

I would still like to know of another browser that can show me the width and height of the browser window in the browser tab like Firefox though if anyone knows of one.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  10. x-man

x-man Active Member

Best Answers:
    Pale moon working on same way like FF, can you make screenshot how you get that info in FF?

x-man, Jul 15, 2015 IP
  11. learnwebsitedesigncom

Best Answers:
    @x-man In the Firefox top menu area - Tools > Web Developer Extension > Resize > Display Window Size In Title

I'll try the palemoon browser. Thanks

12. x-man

x-man Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you can have it in pale moon, you just need to install this extension in pale moon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/web-developer/
    In FF you also have this extension installed, that don`t come with FF...

I hope that I help you...

x-man, Jul 15, 2015 IP
  13. Benpick

Benpick Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There is actually another browser that uses the mozilla Firefox engine but with added features. It's called Comodo Ice Dragon - See https://icedragon.comodo.com/ . I'm just not sure if it can be installed in MAC. But you can try.

Benpick, Jul 17, 2015 IP
  14. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Most likely the user configuration files are messed up, and when you "deinstall" Firefox on a mac it tends to leave those in place, thanks to the lack of a de-installer and the "package" just being an overglorified directory.

It's somewhere in $HOME/library, a hidden folder you have to hold some goofy key combination to access (that I seem to have forgotten at the moment) and make sure you kill the firefox profile in there, then you might have a shot at a re-install working.

Of course it would help if Mozilla's instructions on this weren't ENTIRELY written from a Winblows perspective... but that's what one can typically expect for support with third party applications on a quackintosh or linsux.

Gah, they all suck, just in different ways.

Of course, trying to do web dev on a mac is effectively tying one hand behind your back -- I'd probably install Fusions or VirtualBox in seamless mode and just run the windows version. Well, that or pitch the "Fisher Price My First Computer" in the trash.

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20050608

A lot of people joke the character "Mick" from CAD is based on me.

deathshadow, Jul 19, 2015 IP