1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Firefox problem with XSitePro CSS,

Discussion in 'CSS' started by XtremXpert, Jan 22, 2012.

I haven't worked in XSitePro for over six months and now I started to build a few websites but one of them gave me a lot of problems. I wrote a lot of CSS just for IE but now I see there's a problem in Firefox.
    Here is the preview: www . papipas . com
    It works ok in Chrome and IE8. You can see the CSS files there.
    Can anyone advice me how I can fix the Firefox problem?

Thank you

Solved! View solution.
    XtremXpert, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Your doctype is wrong and you are in quirks mode. Use this one: <!DOCTYPE html>

drhowarddrfine, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  3. XtremXpert

XtremXpert Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've tried many doctypes and it's the same with all of them. Any other idea?

XtremXpert, Jan 23, 2012 IP
  4. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes. Fix your doctype. Then we can help.

drhowarddrfine, Jan 23, 2012 IP
  5. XtremXpert

XtremXpert Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why would you give me the same answer after I told you that's not working?

XtremXpert, Jan 24, 2012 IP
  6. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you that brain dead to think that continuing to use an incorrect doctype and being in quirks mode is beneficial?! If you aren't going to help yourself then, like almost all DP posters, you're not worth any effort.

drhowarddrfine, Jan 24, 2012 IP
  7. XtremXpert

XtremXpert Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not using that doctype anymore, and thank you for bringing that up to me but your advice still doesn't solve the problem. If you see the same doctype on that link it doesn't mean I haven't changed it, I didn't updated it as it looks the same with any doctype I use.

XtremXpert, Jan 24, 2012 IP
    The problem on this website is actually very simple :

Your navbar div is relative and it's placed before your home banner div, thus in firefox, the home banner div is pushed to the right of the nav div (relative properties) since it's not pre-defined.
    You can do two things :

-Give your banner an absolute positioning(defining top and left), this will certainly fix the current problem but it may create some other problems, like the div below will just overlay your banner, so you'll have to change everything.

-Make the banner parent div (margin: auto; ), add some relative positioning and, here again, add "top:" property. You're confounding margin: xx 0; and top: x; .

About the doctype, I don't recommend using this one : <!DOCTYPE html>, since it's HTML5 doctype (your website will always get one warning, because in the developpement mode, and at least one error, since empty form action (form action="") is not allowed in HTML5). If I were you, I would use XHTML 1.0 Transitional doctype.

Two more things, why that form of yours is outside of the banner?? It doesn't make any sense that way.
    And the last, but not least, add a comment inside your telephone number with any text inside (801-87<!--KillSkypeExtension-->8-9700), because it looks very nasty in browsers that have their skype extension installed.

Hope it helps!!

wiicker95, Jan 24, 2012 IP
  9. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    That is not the problem. He's in quirks mode. THAT's the problem.
    It is NOT a HTML5 doctype! Where do you see HTML5 there? Nowhere because it's a HTML doctype...period. And it puts every browser into standards mode even back to IE6.
    You want him to use a doctype that 1) is for XHTML and he doesn't serve XHTML and 2) is only for web pages using old, deprecated markup and is NEVER to be used for new web pages?!! He's already in the frying pan. Don't make him jump into the fire! New web pages should ALWAYS use 'strict'.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
    drhowarddrfine, Jan 24, 2012 IP
  10. XtremXpert

XtremXpert Active Member

Best Answers:
    The first one worked fine, thank you a lot.

The form is outside the banner as I'm not the only one who coded the design, I just fixed it as it was much worse than this.

Thank you a lot :)

XtremXpert, Jan 26, 2012 IP
  11. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Congratulations. You now have a hack that will work there only once. You will continue to have problems to which others will continue to give you the same answer to which you will continue to ignore and round and round you'll go till you are no longer in this business.

drhowarddrfine, Jan 26, 2012 IP
  12. XtremXpert

XtremXpert Active Member

Best Answers:
    I really don't understand what is your problem. I tanked you for the doctype advice and I fixed it even though you gave me a html5 doctype http://www.w3schools.com/html5/tag_doctype.asp but you still keep repeating yourself over and over, not helping at all anymore. Are you just trying to get more posts on this forum?

13. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I find DP posters unbelievably blind to how things work. People like you just want to type in the letters with no desire to learn why things work the way they do. And, just because they get it to work, you think all is right with the world. And when given expert advice telling them what they are doing is wrong, you ignore it cause you typed in a bunch of letters and got things to work....this time.

To claim what I told you "doesn't help" is showing you haven't a clue what you are doing and are just stumbling and fumbling your way to get this to work rather than intelligently applying the correct technical knowledge. You are clueless and don't want to be helped. You are the kid that flunked out of high school cause he didn't need to learn anything.

14. XtremXpert

XtremXpert Active Member

Best Answers:
    haha, you're kind of funny (just kind of:p)

I took your advice and applied it. But your advice ALONE didn't fixed the problem I was facing but with wiicker95's advice and some additional codes I got it working.

Just because you knew the fix for a part of the problem it doesn't mean you know everything about me and about the future. You just saw something that I missed this time as the code was wrote by someone else and I didn't had the time to fix it and asked on the forum.

15. XtremXpert

XtremXpert Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would like a moderator to close this thread.

16. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You still don't get it and you never will.

17. XtremXpert

XtremXpert Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok man, thanks for telling me the future. You're really helpful, exactly what we need on DP.

18. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you. And goog luck to you, too. And Goog bless us all, everyone.

drhowarddrfine, Jan 28, 2012 IP