1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Firefox Is Turning Gay!!!

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by BOOMBOOM, Apr 25, 2009.

1. TheInsaneWebmaster

TheInsaneWebmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, In all Honesty, if you are a Web Developer, you need to be able to have your site supported by all major browsers. And now google's "Chrome" is becoming something used more and more by the masses. So you might wanna think about downloading it to maintain cross-browser compatibility.

Personally, I use nothing but FF for all my browsing. However, I have Multiple IE to check cross-browser compatibility with various versions of IE. Yes, they are WAY behind the times, but you still need to be compatible. It's really not that hard to comply, it's more of a pain in the rear hassle to do, but can be done.

TheInsaneWebmaster, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  2. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    The Gayness being complained of here in FF is not new-- Firefox has always been a bloated, sugar-coated overcomplicated web browser who needs that extra 10 seconds just to get its butt in gear in the morning. Why? That XUL bloat so your precious FF can run on Linux, a Mac, or a PC. As for extentions, they are OPTIONAL. Yes I did make the mistake of downloading Firebug but otherwise, my 3 other extentions are useful enough for me that I am willing to take the time penalty and let FF take sometimes a good 30 seconds to load while Opera takes only 10 and Konqueror damn near immediately. Well and the way FF on Linux can't deal with Flash easily is great-- it keeps me more productive. I haven't watched much YouTube at all this year, seeing's how restarting my browser every time got old real fast.

If you want a faster Firefox and are using a 'blows machine, try K-Meleon. Yeah, they're stuck in the FF2 version of the engine, can't deal with &shy or display: inline-block, but it's XUL-less and basically the minimum you need to run it. This makes it faster. It's also a fresh start. You won't need to disable any extentions on your FF because it doesnt' share any profiles with FF. Don't load the bullshit on your K-Meleon and you won't have all these update problems.

Though actually since I dl'd K-Meleon I haven't even seen an update so who knows, maybe it's not updated anymore. Even better. No more updating problems. Solved.

There are also all those other goofy geckos out there you could use. SheMunky, Epilepsy, Fock. One Gecko crashed? Grab another.

Since you should have a bloatload of browsers on your computer anyway, having one puke on your should be no problem. Downgrade back to the stable versoin, and DON'T download goofy retarded extentions. They just make the rolls flabbier. That more people make goofy retarded extentions isn't Mozilla's fault-- developers freely choose to spend their free time making some goof-assed script to make your FF buttons look like a little manga fox, and only the users are to blame if they download them.

Stomme poes, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  3. aneel90

aneel90 Banned

Best Answers:
    I just wanted to say that I just downloaded Chrome, I agree it's easier to use, however, it doesn't have a google toolbar, how ironic, which is one of the most imp things

aneel90, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  4. ReachConnectionSolutions

ReachConnectionSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    regardless, firefox is still better than IE.

5. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Chrome has a lot of glitches, especially with PNG and JS. I've seen numerous scripts that flicker and don't display correctly in chrome. They've fixed most of the problems in newer versions; however, the fact they even existed to start with is poor - especially when money is barely a concern for Google.

They're both based off webkit.

They probably track your viewing through Chrome, so they don't need you to install a toolbar in order to get the info (opposed to you using a different browser). I'll look at some site, then 5 minutes later google ads on a completely irrelevant site will be showing ads for the topic I had viewed earlier... it's pretty obvious they track information (automatically, it's not like they actually care what you look at, its just all about the money).

rochow, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  6. hostinghelp24

hostinghelp24 Banned

Best Answers:
    Still now I didn't have any more problem in Firefox. and I prefer it than any other browser.

hostinghelp24, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  7. UnFunded

UnFunded Peon

Best Answers:
    Give Flock a try! Based of FireFox but very nice! You need this if you are a marketer out there!

UnFunded, Apr 27, 2009 IP
  8. ILiketohelp

ILiketohelp Guest

Best Answers:

I don't think this guy could have said it any better. If you code for IE you're just plain coding wrong. I mean majority of people may use IE but majority of online gurus won't even look at your site if it doesn't work in FF.

ILiketohelp, Apr 27, 2009 IP
  9. Claudek

Claudek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If most visitors/customers are using IE, do you think any sane webmaster cares what any "online guru" thinks much less if they look at your site?

You should create according to your audience. If you have some techy type website where more FF users are likely to be visiting, then go ahead and code more for them. To dismiss IE users who in the end help monetize your site is foolish.

Claudek, Apr 27, 2009 IP
  10. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You should create according to your audience. If you have some techy type website where more FF users are likely to be visiting, then go ahead and code more for them. To dismiss IE users who in the end help monetize your site is foolish.[/QUOTE]

No one said to code to any one browser. That would be stupid. And no one said to ignore IE. You code to the W3C standards and use the most standards compliant browser to test to make sure your markup is correct. In all cases, any browser except IE is the best tool for the job.

Once you know your markup is correct, and it displays how you want in a modern browser (again, not IE) then you check in IE to see if/when it screws things up. But there are hundreds of web sites devoted to hacking IE to make it work and the hundreds of bugs are known in IE.

drhowarddrfine, Apr 27, 2009 IP
  11. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I am unaware of any such glitches.
    No. Firefox uses Gecko.

12. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    No. XUL is nothing but javascript with XML. It's used for the interface and does not take that much time to load up.

I just don't understand making a big deal over how long any browser takes to start up. Once it's up, it's up. It's a one time thing in an 8-hour work day so what's the big deal?
    This is not a Firefox problelm. It's an issue between Linux and Adobe and all of it can be blamed on Adobe not providing the drivers.
    That reminds me of all the Vista users who say Vista runs great if you turn off half the services.
    K-Meleon is an excellent small browser.

13. tscbh

tscbh Peon

Best Answers:
    I think firefox is the best browser for developer. IE is designed for user doesn't know anything about installation. Most average people doesn't care. All they ever wanted is getting online. They didn't even know what browser mean!

I use Linux with Firefox, don't see any problem. I don't have any problem with flash either.

tscbh, Apr 27, 2009 IP
  14. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've seen numerous. It is a well documented problem. 24-bit PNG's that have any CSS opacity set on them get their alpha values set to 1-bit, creating an ugly white outline. Numerous popular scripts use PNG's and opacity (especially with slideshow's and so forth) and look like trash in Chrome. Despite it being found a very long time ago, from what I know it still hasn't be fixed.

He was talking about Chrome and referencing Safari (how he doesn't believe Chrome is secure because its connected to Safari). So, yes, they are both based off webkit.

rochow, Apr 27, 2009 IP
  15. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah, but it's BETA-- it can haz glitches.

Yeah I have to do all my Flash watching in Opera on Linux now : )

I normally have to restart it a few times in a workday, due to either FF crashing/hanging (not so often nowadays) or Gnome crashing (still unfortunately common when sound gets interfered with).

Do you consider the extensions to be that important to a browser just working?? That was what I meant by "the bullshit"-- extensions. They seem to be what's causing Boomboom's problems. And they are all written by random 3rd party dudes-- that means teh quality of any given extension is the same as for any given turdpress theme-- some are written well and some are toto' cwap.

Yeah I like it too. Do you have any idea when they're going to upgrade the rendering engine to what FF3 is using? Though actually I found it so much easier to have FF3 and K-Meleon on the same machine that right now I'm using k-Meleon more as my "FF2" tester than FF2 (since the profiles still keep getting overridden at every update if I have FF2 and 3 on the same machine).

Stomme poes, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  16. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Everything google releases is "beta". Hell, my gmail has been beta for ... 4 years now? Maybe even 5. God, makes me feel old having to think back that far :)

Extensions rock, and they make FF (if it didn't have extensions, I doubt it ever would have taken off... I know I wouldn't be using it). The amount of extensions I use, they slow down browsing considerably. I use Opera - no images, no scripts, no nothing (so sites actually loads TODAY. When you're on 20mbps and have to wait all day for a site to load something is very ****'d up, I simply can't imagine how the hell anyone on dialup can even use the internet). With that said, I do have my extension'd out Firefox for when I need it, which is multiple times a day. I would hate to use FF all the time, and likewise I would hate to use just Opera. It's not "one size fits all".

Off topic: It's good to go in "simple mode", you get a realisation of how much doesn't work, and how much could be done so much better (like the stupid lets show 0 lines at a time vbulletin reply box, and people who love to text-indent their menu because they're so l33t). Of course it's not going to be pretty, but it should at least be usable!

rochow, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  17. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess I surf regularly in "simple mode" though usually I have CSS and images on. Slow sites I'll turn images off, also forums where teh icons mean jack to me so I can read the alt text.

I usually have Flash and JS off.

My extensions are Window resizer, Aardvark, NoScript, and the web developer toolbar. I loaded Firebug once and haven't really used it. So that's a grand total of 5 extentions, of which at most 2 are used at any one time. Those are really just for web developement, not surfing (though I do end up checking other people's site of course).

Stomme poes, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  18. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I just don't get that. I have both running on this computer for days on end and the only time either crashes is when I visit some web site I don't know and something there crashes FF. Since that's rare, I blame something on that web site and not FF.
    I look at extensions like those little utilities people download. Some work great and cause no problems. Others bring the system down if they work at all. Just like you said.
    I haven't paid any attention to K-Meleon.

drhowarddrfine, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  19. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have CSS on also. If the site is unusable with CSS on and images off (which, ironically, are from those "cool coders" who try and use fancy stuff with no understanding of what they're doing... the really rubbish code usually turns out more usable than those ones!) then I turn CSS off so I can navigate around. Usually though, theres 10 sites with the same thing, so it's a simple click of the back button and go to the next one.

My firefox crashes every time I try and view a page source. Pain in the frickin' ass given I love/need to look at source, have to use firebug which isn't as good.

People who have 1mb JPG's that are thumbnails (use HTML resize instead of actually resizing the image) and so forth are everywhere, it's crazy. I have a bandwidth monitor so I can see the difference and keep track of my usage. Opera uses barely anything, Firefox (with everything on) uses a truckload. I've seen sites as big as 3mb in just JS and images. Scary.

rochow, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  20. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You're kidding. I mean, I run the nightly builds, too, and I have never seen that happen. I "view source" throughout the day for years and never saw that.

drhowarddrfine, Apr 28, 2009 IP