1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Finding the Owner of a Malicious Email

Discussion in 'Security' started by John Yu, Mar 10, 2014.

Recently two emails were sent to an acquaintance of mine lying about how I was ineligible for a position. Not only did it lie about me but it involved others who knew nothing of the matter. The friend of mine has told me to fix this problem, except the email came from an email made specifically for the purpose of sending those two messages. As of right now I only have the email address, but I might be able to find the ip address of that email as well. How do I track down the person who sent these emails? I really appreciate all the help I can get.

John Yu, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I suspect you know who sent them... man up and go and visit them and put things right.

sarahk, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  3. John Yu

John Yu Peon

Best Answers:
    I actually don't know who it came from, but I know he/she is close to me (location wise). I can think of around 10 people who would do this, and accusing all of them directly would be pretty bad. I need some way to track the email address.

John Yu, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You have 10 people who have such a passion against you that they'd do this? Crikey!

I'd say you have no show, the email address will be fake, the IP probably changes every time they login (mine has changed 3 times in the last 24 hours, I know because I debug based on an IP match so that users don't see the messages).

sarahk, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  5. John Yu

John Yu Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not really 10 people who hate me haha, the place where I work is just extremely cutthroat. Everybody seems eager to knock others down the ladder.

The person sent the two message on two separate days and I think the IP addresses were the same for each day. I've looked at some of the online ip tracking sites except they're extremely inaccurate when it comes to location.

John Yu, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  6. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You can NOT get to the user based on the IP-address alone. You MIGHT be able to get a somewhat accurate location, but that's highly debatable - what you might get is the provider, based on which IP-address you got, but they won't divulge the name of the owner of that IP (and if it's a company, then you might not get further than the NAT-box on their network) without a court order.
    The point is, an IP is a start, but without filing a police report, and getting a court order for the details for the IP, you probably won't get very much further.

PoPSiCLe, Mar 14, 2014 IP