1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Finding a niche - ideal traffic levels?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by s3alax, Aug 12, 2015.

HI all,

First time poster here. I'm really struggling to find a niche keyword to target and wanted to gauge from forum members what you'd recommend as the ballpark SEO traffic figure I should be aiming at with my keywords.

I've found a couple but they're in the low 1500s to 2000s exact searches per month and I've read elsewhere I should be aiming for around 5000/month.

I'm just getting started in the business, have invested in a copy of Market Samurai and am now getting increasingly frustrated that I can't seem to find the right niche.

Apart from the above the only keywords I've found so far with desirable traffic levels are for products I wouldn't be interested in promoting.

The other factors I'm using to determine if a keyword is desirable are low page ranks, and at least two domains that have zero backlinks on them.

Can someone give me some pointers? I understand this part of the process is really important and as such want to make sure I make a strong start.

Thanks

s3alax, Aug 12, 2015 IP
  2. kb24

kb24 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Finding the right niche is what most people get stuck with. To find a niche for starters what are your interests or hobbies? Start with that. I found this video post that I think might help you

kb24, Aug 12, 2015 IP
  3. Aryans

Aryans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should use https://adwords.google.com/KeywordPlanner and get all the keywords of your niche and monthly searches as well here is one more good tool which giving niche(long tail) keywords longtailfinder.com hope it ll help...

Aryans, Aug 14, 2015 IP
  4. s3alax

s3alax Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your responses. I will look at these tools. Can I ask what you look for when you're researching niches?

s3alax, Aug 14, 2015 IP
  5. Aryans

Aryans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Simple, add your main keyword in this tools then you ll get many long tail keywords pick these keywords and check manually there monthly searches and competition then select which ll suits your website and you can achieve ranking on them...

Aryans, Aug 14, 2015 IP
  6. guru1surfer

guru1surfer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    First, welcome to Digitalpoint forums!

To find a niche, you have to struggle until you discover your own technique in finding a niche (no one who knows a technique is going to tell you simply because who want to share his plate with someone else.) Having said that, there are millions trying to figure your question and most don't succeed but those who does (in most cases really struggled) are very happy. So you really need to struggle and research until a light bulb shines with an idea or a discovery.

Also there is no traffic searches as low and high. 1000 monthly searches of a particular niche could equal 1,000,000 of another. You have found a niche when you find a high keyword search compared to competition. This means that if you find a keyword that has 1000 monthly searches but the compitition is low, then you have found yourself a niche :)

Hope this helps, even though i know it won't help much with your struggle. Good luck :)

guru1surfer, Aug 14, 2015 IP
  7. nomvo

nomvo Peon

Best Answers:
    I think more important than the number of searches a month a niche gets is your interest and familiarity with the subject. Earlier today I saw an article about a guy who makes $10K+ a month shipping potatoes to people with messages on them. Whether that $10k is profit or gross revenue, or even if that figure stretches the truth... I don't really care.

The point is, you can generate traffic and income on just about any subject. The wonderful part about some of these smaller niches is that:

a) They tend to be much less competitive and easy to rank for.

b) Becoming an authority, or the only authority, in that niche can happen within months if not weeks; in reference to page 1 rankings on the search engines.

c) The audience in these industries are usually much more loyal than some of those in larger industries because they have so many other websites/companies they can turn to for the same content/product.

So yea... finding keywords and niches with high search volumes can be ridiculously fun and profitable, but it could take years of hard work to even come close to making them with your time. Hope that makes sense. Nomvo!

nomvo, Aug 17, 2015 IP
  8. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Using keyword tools are not enough to get ideal traffic to your website, Why? Because of the insufficient data that will prove the effectiveness of the chosen keyword phrase. I would suggest of using different platforms like authoritative sites that has an active online community which discusses your related field then analyze the behavior of your targeted users there and figure out the best approach to target your audience.

KylieSweet, Aug 17, 2015 IP
  9. kyescontent

kyescontent Active Member

Best Answers:
    One of the best things I think is to pick a niche in which you are a true expert and which you are passionate about. This allows you to provide unique insights and value your competitors may not be bringing to the table.

kyescontent, Aug 20, 2015 IP
  10. kyescontent

kyescontent Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great advice. Learning to identify and cater to user intent is a big deal, especially with recent developments in the SEO world.

kyescontent, Aug 20, 2015 IP
  11. footyT

footyT Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have to say this is a great piece of advice! Analysing the behaviour of your potential users is key to a highly successful, traffic rich website. You can't just simply hit and hope these days! It a tough web out there!

footyT, Aug 21, 2015 IP
  12. s3alax

s3alax Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the tips everyone!

s3alax, Aug 21, 2015 IP