1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Finally done after four long years.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mopacfan, Oct 5, 2004.

I thought I'd share this with yous guys. :) I've been building this truck for roughly four years and it's finally done. Well almost, but done enough to make it official. It's called Project Responder, it's the Ultimate Volunteer Firefighter's Emergency Response Vehicle. The website has been nearly as much work as the truck. It started out as a static creation, adding new pages everytime I needed to make an update. After reaching about 50 pages, it got way to hard to manage. So I wrote a database application to serve the content but there was no back end so administration was still a pain, going into the database directly to administer the site. Finally, I ended up writing the backend so I could add content on the fly, including the image uploads and resizing. The site is still far behind and needs a lot of updates and a new layout (I try to change the layout once a year).

If you have any comments about the truck or about the site, good, bad or indifferent, please feel free to 'let it all hang out'. :)

Attached Files:

mopacfan, Oct 5, 2004 IP
  2. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    The truck kicks a**!

Though, I think there is still a 4"x4" patch blue on the top right of the rear tire well that still needs to be covered up ... shall a send over some more decals? ;)

Nitin M, Oct 5, 2004 IP
  3. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    that is a crazy rig. Nice work. You have to be one "dedicated" volunteer to spend that kind of time and money on a volunteer fire rig. The truck looks great.

chachi, Oct 5, 2004 IP
  4. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    hehe, funny. I've been very fortunate to have the support of so many sponsors. I have to admit, that it does look a bit odd, but then that's one of the things that makes this truck so unique.

Now about the 4"x4" area, that will cost you $260, but I'm not sure that SEO on a fire truck will get you very far ;)

mopacfan, Oct 5, 2004 IP
  5. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Hey mopacfan. Good job. Four years work and it seems to be absolutely spotless. I saw the detail of your work on everything from suspension to the electrics - absolutely brilliant :D

Now that you're free, how do you fancy popping over to 'old blighty' to do the same standard of work on my Opel Manta V8 - I'll skip the decals for a stealth look, but be more than happy with your attention to detail :)

If that doesn't grab ya, what's next on the list? Harley chop? I been watching the "American Chopper" series over here - Orange County Choppers did an awesome Fire Bike (first on this page)

Lever, Oct 5, 2004 IP
  6. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Nice job mopac...I almost didn't read the post because I thought it was yet another political thread. I was pleasantly surprised though :)

yfs1, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  7. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure there's anything on my list. This was a lot more work than I ever imagined. Although I'd like to find a 1970's vintage American LaFrance pumper and restore it. I'm also considering buying an army surplus Duece and a half (no wimpy suv's here ;))

mopacfan, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  8. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I never even thought about the title being misconstrued as a political topic. I'm glad you pointed that out. It's amazing how our minds work and how we associate and reason.

mopacfan, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  9. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    that truck DOES kick ass!

Flaming Ninjas on four wheelers got nothin on that beast!

david_sakh, Oct 6, 2004 IP