1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feeding Data

Discussion in 'Shopping' started by digitalpoint, Mar 4, 2004.

1. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have you thought about going XML? There may be a means to make it "flexible" while providing the required data and interface needed.

Just a thought...

North Carolina SEO, Jun 1, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I haven't thought much about it at all to be honest, mostly because I have no products that need to be fed to Froogle, it was more an idea for a tool.

digitalpoint, Jun 1, 2004 IP
  3. EConcepts

EConcepts Peon

Best Answers:
    The best way to get listed high in Froogle is to send the data feed. It should be resent once a month ... every month.

We have set numerous clients up this way, and have shown that the "data feed" method is just abotu the only way you'll get listed in any position worth a darn in Froogle (and subsequently Google believe that or not).

Froogle also favors certain HTML page layouts, so even if they happen to "spider" your page (which I have yet to hear of happening unless you submit your feed to them), and it is not optimized correctly to display "Froogle" results, your efforts would be useless.

-- Eric

EConcepts, Oct 21, 2004 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I've done just that. Because our shops are with a 3d party e-commerce provider, all product pages are standardized so grabbing all necessary data is peanuts. We have 3 shops with well over a thousand products which take a few minutes to re-spider and to create a feed now. Imagine having to do those manually every month.

But mine only works with our merchant service provider ecom system. A 'smart' one for acatalog and other popular catalogue systems would be easy enough to build.

T0PS3O, Oct 22, 2004 IP
  5. EConcepts

EConcepts Peon

Best Answers:
    There are a few tools out there that allow you to feed Froogle. There are another handfull of shopping carts that already have the ability to create a Froogle feed built into them.

The problem is, that is not the only thing you need to do to get list high in Froogle. Sure, submitting the proper data feed will get you listed eventually. But beinglisted withinthe first 3 results on Froogel is really where you want to strive for.

By being listed within the first three results, you have the chance of also being shown higher in the Google SERs. Froogle listing do show up on Google (within the varioius seraches). In fact, if optimized properly, they will appear above everythign else at the top of the page.

Google can display up to 3 Froogle listings (the top 3 in Froogle). So, the data feed is the easy part. Optimizing it and the site to "feed Froogle" is them more strategic part.

EConcepts, Oct 22, 2004 IP
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    So do you reckon on-page optimisation for regular SERs equals in-feed optimisation for Froogle SERs? i mean text wise or do you think there's more that can be done?

T0PS3O, Oct 22, 2004 IP
  7. EConcepts

EConcepts Peon

Best Answers:
    The way you optimize a page for Froogle is a bit different thatn the way you optimize a page for typical SERs.

Froogle itself has certian things it likes that may not necessarily be what you would think about when you optimize for yoru typical SE. Of course, there are some typical SE tatics that will help (title, descriptions, etc...) however, wehn you get to the actual HTML layout of a page for Froogle, that can be a little different.

I would recommend (and this is what we do) developing a product page for Froogle alone that would be setup to "optimize" your chances of ranking higher there. What I mean is make sure the product page you are going to drive Froogle traffic to is setup to "match" your feed and setup from an HTML layout to accomodate that as well. This is just one of numerous factors that we feel plays into utilizing traffic sources and sales from Froogle.

EConcepts, Oct 22, 2004 IP
  8. wrkalot

wrkalot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I submit feeds to froogle. I stopped doing it for a couple of months because it just takes to much time. Copy, paste, copy, paste. I only have about 200 products at the moment but thats about to change big time.

I am now working on an .ASP script that pulls all of the data from my database, writes it to a text file, then emails me the the .txt The one I did yesterday took about 30 minutes vs 3 hours the copy/paste method (i still have to remove my html formatting in my product descriptions).

I would love to have prepackaged tool that would do it for me. I do have a business to run after all.

wrkalot, Oct 30, 2004 IP
  9. EConcepts

EConcepts Peon

Best Answers:
    There are a lot of shopping carts out there (ASP driven) that actually create the data feed for you automatically.

In addition, I have found a few scripts (ASP) driven that actually create feeds for you as well. We were working on an automated system that does just that, but there are so many already adapted to varius carts, that it doesn't make a lot of sense building on at this point.

Also, you may want to try the new Froogle Merchant Center. I beleive they have some nice tools that may assist you. If nothing else, I'm sure as Froogle evolves, they will surely add that type of functionality.

EConcepts, Oct 30, 2004 IP
  10. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    if you can run php

$string = strip_tags($string)
    will strip standard tags
    $string = strip_tags($string,<b>) leaves tag <b> </b>

isolate specifics like a link you would need strpos and substr
    $LinkStartPos = strpos($string, ' http://');
    $LinkEndPos = strpos($string, '">') - $LinkStartPos;
    $tmpurl = substr($string, $LinkStartPos, $LinkEndPos)
    ;$tmpurl is the url clean
    M

expat, Oct 31, 2004 IP
  11. wrkalot

wrkalot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No php here. I have only been working on my own .asp script for a day and will eventually integrate something similar. My shopping cart is mostly custom (by me).

I've tried logging into the merchant center but the login just refreshes... It won't let me in. Even after resetting my password.

wrkalot, Oct 31, 2004 IP
  12. expat

Best Answers:
    best send a request to
    accounts-support at google.com with you details like site url and original e-mail and they will send you another invitecode.... may take about two days..
    M

expat, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  13. Elee

Elee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shawn, we have submitted over 1,000 images/cards through the Froogle on four sites.

A Nightmare!!!

Plus, we are continously updating with new cards.

Elee, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  14. vintageagain

vintageagain Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a auto froogle upload mod for OsC Im using and seems to work fine. I just installed and set a cron to upload once a week. nice and up to date now every time I've checked.

vintageagain, Nov 7, 2004 IP
  15. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    what would an optimised page for froogle look like ?

I have about 20 products I want froogle to have

leeds1, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  16. expat

Best Answers:
    .. not sure if I follow but on such size you probably use a database and standardised pic's, titel, description pricing etc.
    Thus an extraction from the DB into a csv file (export) should do it directly. Most sql and specifically mysql give you a host of commands to be used during extraction like substring concat allowing complete new fields to be generated on the fly. If one has phpadmin or alike such command can be run on-line the result finetuned and than directly converted into csv txt or alike.

So once generated it can be easily reused and changed put in a file to be weekly called etc...

F has such an easygoing structure that even if one overruns a fieldlength or hapen to have some garbled content in it it just ignores the line or truncates.
    M

expat, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  17. EConcepts

EConcepts Peon

Best Answers:
    There are a number of ways you can optimize a page for better placement in the Froogle Search engine. We are always testing news methods, and have found a few that tend to help a bit. Overall, it is the quality of the feed as it relates to the information the Froogle crawler is able to see through spidering your product page.

In that light, think of it as optimizing for a typical search engine (design the page accordingly), but you should make sure your strategies sync up with your data feed.

EConcepts, Nov 13, 2004 IP
  18. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have my product pages normally around #1 in serps

do you think if I chuck them at froogle I will lose these listings ?

leeds1, Nov 13, 2004 IP
  19. EConcepts

EConcepts Peon

Best Answers:
    I have never seen where submitting pages to Froogle decreased your listings in other SEs.

My suggestion would be to create DIFFERENT product pages optimize only for Froogle - Leave the other pages go. You can use the new pages and direct only Froogle traffic to them using the URL you submit for each in your datafeed.

This is the approach we typically take with our clients.

Does that help?

EConcepts, Nov 13, 2004 IP
  20. mystery

mystery Banned

Best Answers:

Thanks very much Felu.... although I'm thinking of removing the MMR lol!

mystery, Aug 4, 2007 IP