1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feeding Data

Discussion in 'Shopping' started by digitalpoint, Mar 4, 2004.

I'm curious how many people are feeding data to Froogle, compared to just letting Froogle grab their product data naturally (via spidering).

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 4, 2004 IP
  2. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    I recently got the info on how (formating and upload) to feed to froogle and it looks like even if froogle spiders and indexes you that way, you can have more of an impact if you submit your own feed.

It looks like you will have more control over how people will find you (read: better keyword optimization) when you do the feed yourself. Because you can specifially specify the Title of the product, the description, catagories, image displayed, to meet the keywords you are targeting for that particular product.

And now froogle doesn't index all 50 or so of our products, this will make sure they do. Plus froogle is guessing on what the description is because it has to take some text as the description and that might not always be the best keyword rich description.

So I haven't actually done the data feed, but it looks like it will greatly improve your exposure if you do it rather than let froogle crawl your site and guess at it all.

- sean

Such Great Heights, Mar 4, 2004 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The reason I was asking is I was thinking of making a tool to make the feeding of Froogle data easy. The problem of course is all the different variations of source data to convert. But I was thinking about maybe doing it for a few "standard" formats like Excel, QuickBooks, etc. For example, and export of QuickBooks products could be pushed to Froogle directly without the end-user needing to do much.

- Shawn

4. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds interesting. From my view it seems like it is already easy.

In my case we only carry like 50 products, so creating an excel spreadsheet with 50 products and 5 cells per each product isn't hard. Then exporting that to a tabulated text file takes seconds and uploading that file also only takes seconds, so I don't see right away where your tool would come it.

I guess if you carry something like 300 products and you have them all entered into a database (access, or whatever) being able to convert a large file to what froogle wants seems like it would be helpful.

Maybe for people who have yahoo shopping? (I don't know how their products are stored though) or a popular shopping cart that keeps track of your products? Does Miva Merchant, Paypal, OSCommerce, X-Cart, etc, have a database where all products, description, etc are stored and have the ability to export to a certain file type?

5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah, that's the reason I was thinking of it... that way people with no technical background that use any of the popular shopping charts or accounting software would be able to do it.

Of course, it's only useful if you have many products, or they change often.

- Shawn

6. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    well then, it sounds like it would be helpful to those who don't have the technical knowledge to do it otherwise.

we are in the process of setting up x-cart, but I don't think it is as popular as other carts out there.

i like the idea, just wouldn't know how to go about finding out what would be best and for which formats to find out how to convert first.

good luck if you do decide to do it.

7. respree

respree Peon

Best Answers:
    Greetings.

I've been using Froogle since its inception (little over a year now). I would agree that the feed, by far, is the way to go to get products indexed. The G bot just doesn't seem to do a good job crawling my site, but the feed has indexed more than 175,000 products, basically everything I fed it.
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=respree

While we can all see that the G index feeds the F index. I just wish it worked the other way around (which it doesn't, BTW).

I think a program that would assist non-technical store owners would be something people might be interested in, as Froogle catches on. G is only now starting to promote it a little (i.e. first three Froogle results on the Google SERP).

I don't think the program will be without its challenges though.

Two things come to mind. URL formation and product images locations. Two fields of the feed ask 1) where's your product URL at and 2) where's your product image at. For us, it was pretty easy to do in Access because these locations are static with the item number being the variable. For others, which I can't speak for, they may be all over the place, so I'm not sure how a program could predict those locations (especially when they may not be consistent).

Food for thought.

respree, Mar 5, 2004 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    True, I obviously didn't think it through completely... :) They would of course need to know the image location and/or URL. I guess I'll just put the whole idea out of my mind...

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 5, 2004 IP
  9. rustybrick

rustybrick User ID 3

Best Answers:
    Didnt read the whole thread but I have set up two customers with Froogle data feeds.

rustybrick, Mar 5, 2004 IP
  10. irish_ladie

irish_ladie Guest

Best Answers:
    Shawn - dont give up...........I would love a tool like that.........however I suppose its quite easy for me.............I am just lazy and love your tools!

irish_ladie, Apr 6, 2004 IP
  11. EGOL

EGOL Guest

Best Answers:
    I am sending datafeeds up to froogle. I build in excel and convert to .txt

Time consuming but easy.... and I am getting great rankings.

EGOL, May 7, 2004 IP
  12. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I've done a data feed for Froogle, although I am still waiting for my products to appear in Froogle. It is a bit of a pain, and it needs to be updated at least once a month or your products "expire" and drop out of Froogle. So, if Shawn (or any one else) can come up with a tool to simplify it, I think it would be benefical as Froogle gains popularity :D !

ViciousSummer, May 15, 2004 IP
  13. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Just a quick tip as most of the shopping sites I've come across have a similar format but not exactly the same sequence.

I've written simple sql statements to get the various formats out of the mysql which usually do run in the background.

Twice monthly or upon development I extract latest into various txt tab del into directories by shopping source.
    Being lazy I've set up dreamweaver with all the FTP's which also keeps me up to date when I've done it last.

M
    Also allows me to do tweeks like using Froogle character allowances to the max.

expat, May 18, 2004 IP
  14. sadcox66

sadcox66 Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Shawn,

If your planning to write a generic froogle interface the following information may help you.

I use the EasyPopulate contribution to create the feed for my osCommerce shopping carts. It works really well. There is also froogle data checker that you need to look at because froogle field sizes are smaller than the average title and description in many shopping carts and your data will get trancated without your knowledge if you do not use it. If you do not want to install osCommerce or want to get a feel of EasyPopulate your welcome to play with the demo shopping cart software , use admin / password to get into the shopping cart administration section.

sadcox66, May 19, 2004 IP
  15. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    We have 5 sites that we upload froogle data for currently. Actually, I think that number is 6. We have our own custom backend that we have built up over the years that now exports the data via our own froogle module and then uploads once a week. This way if we make any description changes (or other mods) they will be reflected in our froogle results.

FYI, we have also signed up for yahoo's new shopping data feed deal. It has been a couple of months now and to the best of my knowledge, we have not seen one sale yet....what happened to Yahoo?

chachi, May 25, 2004 IP
  16. expat

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    is that Y .com? They still don't want me as I'm UK .....
    Y UK and AOL UK etc are via Pangora.com in case you're interested.
    Good stats nice service good sales.
    M

expat, May 26, 2004 IP
  17. Jay

Jay Peon

Best Answers:
    We have a few sites, one of them has a froogle feed setup with it. Yet, the funny thing is that the one with a feed to froogle gets lower listings than the others without the feed.

Jay, Jun 1, 2004 IP
  18. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are you saying that using Froogle lowers one's PR?

Help Desk, Jun 1, 2004 IP
  19. expat

Best Answers:
    Jay out of interest have you used the full text allowance on the feed?

M

expat, Jun 1, 2004 IP
  20. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    my cart osCommerce actually creates the whole feed for me- skipping a lot of the time consuming exercises of creating it by hand.

schlottke, Jun 1, 2004 IP