1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feedback on the dp ad system

Discussion in 'Digital Point Ads' started by matt_62, Dec 22, 2013.

I am still learning my way around the DP ad system, so forgive me if any of this is hidden somewhere.

Right now, the only way I can check if the ad is running (the % chance of being the top ad for the category) is by editing the ad. Once i click edit, I can then see if my ad is guaranteed to run or not.
    I would like it, if when looking at all the ads that I have, (in the ad overview) that it shows the % chance of the ad showing. When bidding on multiple areas with different bids, perhaps it should show the ad effectiveness. Like if i am bidding on the entire website, but have 75% chances in half of the forum, 0% in the other half of the forum, my ad effectiveness is only 37.5 -> and I might be missing out on parts that were important to me. If you know what I mean.

Perhaps "ad effectiveness" could form some sort of a rating system which is displayed on each ad unit. Would make it easy to overview, and you can up the bids on the ads that are important for the areas on the forum that are important.

For example, someone with a heavy budget, and a very strong bid price, might be rated 10/10, meaning, their ad is pretty much guaranteed to run all day long. someone with a low budget, that has a bid in 5th place, and all bidders above have enough budget to cover all the ads, might have a score of 0/10. Someone that bid on multiple places on the forum, and is now outbid on half, might have a score of 4/10 (ie, in above example was 37.5% ad effectiveness, which comes to a rating of 4/10)

I dont really know how the system works, but my next comment is based on how I think the ad system works.
    The ad effectiveness rating might also take into account GEO targeted bids. so someone that targets "australia only" and is the top bidder, might have 10/10 score. Someone that is the top bidder for all other traffic, (excluding Australia) might have a 9/10 score, as their bid is too low to include all countries.
    In the above example, where I said 37.5% ad effectives for someone that was outbid on 50% of their target sections of the forum, if they were outbid on 50% of their targeted countries, their ad effectivess rating drops down to 18.75%, or 2/10. If my budget is low (not enough to cover all the potential impressions, might drop the rating down even lower.

You might have it, so that when an ad falls under 5/10 rating that an alert is triggered.

Another thing I would like, is a report based on when the ad runs. I understand I might be the second bidder (or 10th bidder) but when the above ads complete, or if the above bidders put only a small budget, making my ad the top spot if only for a short time, I would like some sort of chart to see when the ad is running, and maybe even see which countries could see my ads. (i dont mean the impressions chart, as i can see those stats already)
    Just right now, I could check and see I am a top bidder, be outbid for a week and a week later return to see I am again the top bidder, without any sort of warning to say that I was outbid for the entire week.

One more thing I have noticed, is that when changing targeted areas on the forum, and targeted viewing countries for one of my ads, that while the changes were saved (multiple times) the changes dont seem to have followed through correctly.

I also think that if someone is logged in, that they shouldnt see their own ads.

This is just my initial thoughts on the DP ad system.

matt_62, Dec 22, 2013 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The issue with having a single "quick and easy score" that you can view for all ads is a couple things...

The system is very fluid. You have thousands of advertisers, each with daily account budgets and individual ad budgets so the pool of advertisers that could potentially show an ad in any given place changes from second to second. That's not a huge issue because you could just reload that one reference page I suppose.

The bigger issue is that if you take out daily spends and available funds out of the equation, you have variation on banner ads on a per country *and* per area basis (about 150 areas and 250 countries)... which works out to 37,500 possible area/country combinations. I think the best that could realistically be done would be to just consolidate all the percent values for each area into an overall range for the ad when viewed on the listing of ads... for example something like 15-75% for the places and countries you have chosen. But then there is also the issue that the calculations it has to run through to *get* those numbers are pretty resource intensive and could easily make the ad listing page take 10-20 seconds to load if you have a lot of ads.

For a run-time report, are you just talking about something that ultimately would be a summary of the impression report?

I tested changing the countries on one of my ads and they seem to reflect properly when saved when I try it... what browser are you using? Maybe something weird going on with a certain browser?

digitalpoint, Dec 22, 2013 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Also, I forgot to mention that the entire system is based on downward bidding. Meaning if someone was willing to put a value of $20/CPM for banner ads (as an example), but the next highest bidder bid $2/CPM, their actual cost would never exceed $2.01/CPM (it wouldn't be $20/CPM), so if you are trying to constantly outbid the next highest bidder, it's kind of pointless because the system does it for you automatically.

digitalpoint, Dec 22, 2013 IP
  4. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    would that be resource intensive if it at the ad overview it just shows the current chance of being the top spot (like when we press edit we view it). I doubt anyone will be refreshing that page regularly.
    If it is resource intensive (for a range of ads) what about a button at the end of each row, that when pressed individually refreshes the chance of the ad being shown? this way one can quickly see if their ads have a chance of being displayed, and might not be resource intensive.
    Or even if at the review page: https://advertising.digitalpoint.com/advertiser?action=reports
    Like if i click on a date, for example, "Dec 22, 2013"
    it drops down with a summary of all running ads. If something there showed that the ad was not showing for most of the day, due to low bid, or low daily budget, then this would be helpful. Right now i have 1 ad with 1 impression. But the ad might be running perfectly, (targeting specific forum and country) or it might be that my bid is too low)

Under the date, where it lists the names of each ad, having an "edit" link next to each ad name, allowing to jump to edit that ad might be useful as well.

matt_62, Dec 22, 2013 IP