1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feedback on Cat blog...

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Britanica, Jun 24, 2014.

Hello everyone,

I would love some feedback on my cat blog I just started a few weeks ago.
    I'd really appreciate it.

http://purrfectlove.net/

Britanica, Jun 24, 2014 IP
  2. cblanke

cblanke Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As a animal person i think it is looking good. Get some more quality content and keep doing what your doing...

cblanke, Jun 25, 2014 IP
  3. Work Smarter

Work Smarter Banned

Best Answers:
    I think its a very well put together site. Looks good! I agree with Cblanke, just keep adding more fresh content and you're gonna be in great shape!

Work Smarter, Jun 27, 2014 IP
  4. Britanica

Britanica Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Bumping this since a ton of things have changed. I would love feed back on the new look of the blog.

There is now a question center, sign up option, it is more organized, and it actually looks like a professional blog instead of something a 15 year old made haha

Britanica, Apr 19, 2015 IP
  5. gianbizz

gianbizz Active Member

Best Answers:
    My suggestion, reduce the height of the header image, it takes a lot of space on your website. I've checked your website in Google Mobile-Friendly Test and the results showed that the main page of your website has been responsive. But when I try to open directly using my phone, it looks like a blank site. I was able to view the content just after moved down/scroll down. It might be due to the header image that is too high.

gianbizz, Apr 22, 2015 IP
  6. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, the fixed metric (px) fonts, illegible colour contrasts (white on light blue, blue on grey, light grey on white, dark grey over darkened image), and broken/incomplete attempt at responsive layout all make it an accessibility headache. I'm stuck diving for the zoom and pulling up one of my accessibiltiy user.css overrides to even TRY and make the site usable. You've got a goofy hard to read webfont further making the content difficult to access (here's a tip, don't use anything called "condensed" on flow content!)... overall it's just woefully lacking in usability and accessibility.

Of course, it's turdpress so the code under the hood is bloated nonsense; you've got 5.71k of plaintext and 22 content images, what in blazes is it wasting 65k of markup on? The answer of course is the usual disaster of turdpress nonsense ranging from endless pointless static scripting in the markup, static style in the markup, and endless horde of JS for NOTHING, little if anything resembling semantics or logical document structure, pointless HTML 5 "structural" bloat, endless pointless DIV for nothing, endless pointless classes and ID's for nothing, the stupid malfing "data-" attributes that just show developer ineptitude on the part of the script writers, redundant code bloat use of the TITLE attribute, static style in the markup passing fractional values that are invalid for the metric stated... and of course the train wrecks of developer ineptitude known as jQueery and Bootcrap. As I always say, in the case of the latter do yourself a favor and go find a stick to scrape that off with!

It is your typical laundry list of how NOT to build a website if you actually care about visitors finding it useful; It is also 100% what one can expect when poorly coded rubbish like turdpress is slapped together any-old way with the nube predating BS known as "frameworks".

Basically your choice of tools is what's biting you here.

deathshadow, Apr 23, 2015 IP
  7. Britanica

Britanica Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for both of your feedback. I will look into the things mentioned above.

Do you feel the content is relevant, enjoyable and easy to read?

Britanica, Jun 1, 2015 IP
  8. Britanica

Britanica Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I did another update on my blog, it isn't complete yet but I invested on a paid theme. Give me your thoughts!

Britanica, Feb 19, 2016 IP
  9. otakatun

otakatun Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice site... Love the logo, very eye candy IMO.

However prefer the main menu to be in one line...

Get more article, more kitty picture and video :p

otakatun, Feb 19, 2016 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Super cute, site looks good - orange kittens, so divine!

The images on your homepage might be a bit too big, given their physical size I'm not sure what your options are but they did cause the page to lag when loading.

One of your plugins is dumping a ton of javascript onto the page and it needs to be reworked so that the javascript can be in a separate file. There will be a performance hit and it's just not "good form".

[​IMG]

sarahk, Feb 19, 2016 IP
  11. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Paid scam is more like it, if anything things are worse. But again, there's a reason I consider off the shelf templates or even screwing around with templates before thinking semantic markup, logical document structure, etc, etc.. to be utterly and completely back-assward.

Hence why I call places like themeForest or templateMonster "Scam artist whorehouses"

deathshadow, Feb 20, 2016 IP
  12. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Not a big fan of small / light fonts. Make it larger (14px or 0.9em).

The "I want to know!" button in the slider didn't take me anywhere. I guess you haven't finished working on it yet.

Would make more sense to have your images at least in two rows. Also having a real back button (as opposed to the browser's back button) while viewing the larger images would help too.

The "Choose a category" drop down stops working on some pages. For instance go to: http://purrfectlove.net/cat-facts/ hovering over "Choose a category" won't show the drop down.

You may want to add a favicon.ico Make it look like the cat's face in your logo.

Your padding is HUGE. It makes everything scale down faster and to really tiny proportions.

ScreenHunter_219 Feb. 22 08.21.gif

qwikad.com, Feb 22, 2016 IP
  13. HCFGrizzly

HCFGrizzly Member

Best Answers:
    I might be a bit biased because I love cats but I like your website.
    I think the name is really cool.
    It`s good that the page is responsive.
    Aside from the things pointed out (you should really listen to them because they know what they are saying) you should do something about your footer. I think that it should be centered and maybe find something else to place there. (a menu, a copyright?)

HCFGrizzly, Feb 22, 2016 IP
  14. HelenVendo

HelenVendo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello Britanica!
    As for me I really like the design. It's clean and responsive. And there're cats on your website so it's already better than those without.
    Of course you have to work on a lot of things. The footer is not finished I guess. And there're no connection with social networks, no share buttons so far.
    But keep working and you'll create the great website!

HelenVendo, Feb 22, 2016 IP