1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Federal Court & U.S. Supreme Court Ruling: Atheism is a Religion

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Alter2Ego, Aug 4, 2012.

1. pladecalvo

pladecalvo Peon

Best Answers:
    What an idiot you are.

It's really frightening that there are people amongst us that think like this....and they are allowed to VOTE!

pladecalvo, Aug 21, 2012 IP
  2. Alter2Ego

Alter2Ego Active Member

Best Answers:
    ALTER2EGO -to- ECHO UNLIMITED:
    The key is paying attention to context--meaning the surrounding words, verses, and chapters. Unfortunately, people put more weight on traditions of men rather than paying attention to what's written in God's inspired Word, the Judeo-Christian Bible. They then read verses of scriptures in isolation. They select verses that contain a few words that line up with their preconceived ideas. When the same verse is read within context, it turns out that it's not saying what they think it's saying. The sad part is that even when they are shown the context, they refuse to accept what the Bible says because they prefer traditions of men.

Atheists are "secular humanists," meaning they believe humans can do perfectly fine without instructions from a supernatural God. The U.S. Courts defined Secular Humanism as a religious belief.

Alter2Ego, Aug 21, 2012 IP
  3. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Atheists simply don't believe in a deity. Beyond that one belief (or I should say lack of belief), not necessarily a lot they have in common.

Rebecca, Aug 22, 2012 IP
  4. pladecalvo

pladecalvo Peon

Best Answers:
    You folks need to understand that theist desperately need atheism to be classed as a 'religion' because that is the only way they can say to atheists 'See? You atheists are just as much idiots as we theists are'.

pladecalvo, Aug 22, 2012 IP
  5. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, in fairness to the theists, there seems to be a LARGE group of atheists that feels the need to beat people over the head with their belief system. Coexistence is not enough and nothing short of conversion will do. If the word "idiot"isn't applicable to those fine atheists, the words "obnoxious prick" certainly are.

Obamanation, Aug 22, 2012 IP
  6. Alter2Ego

Alter2Ego Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're kidding yourself if you really think Atheism isn't a belief system. There's no rule that says a religion must be centered around belief in a god. Buddhism, Taoism, and Jainism are atheist religions that are not centered around belief in a god. The only requirement for something to become a religious belief is that it be of crucial importance to those that believe it. Notice the definition below that confirms this. Notice the portion in bold and red.

I might add that the god of most atheists/secular humanists is science. Their Bible is usually Charles Darwin's book Origin of Species and the latest scientific theory the scientists dream up.

Alter2Ego, Aug 22, 2012 IP
  7. pladecalvo

pladecalvo Peon

Best Answers:
    So...

Collins
    World English Dictionary
    religion (rɪˈlɪdʒən)

— n
    What divine supernatural power do atheists believe in?

Does not apply to atheists.

Atheists do not believe in a transcendental controlling power (god).

Does not apply to atheists

I have never met an atheist that places 'overwhelming' importance on his/her atheism and the above quote is nothing more than a figure of speech. If I brush my teeth 'religiously', does that make me religious?

Atheists don't practice sacred rituals, rites and ceremonies.

So we see that, of the six points above, not one of them applies to atheists

pladecalvo, Aug 22, 2012 IP
  8. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    True.

I just came back to this thread to make sure my comment made sense! lol. Yesterday, I was still under the influence of vicodan. I never take anything like that, so it really had an effect. I had to get my wisdom teeth and a molar taken out late Monday afternoon. I had a friend that did that, and chose to be under general anesthetic. She woke up with a bruise on her jaw, a partly black eye, and a cut on her lip! Dentists and doctors are not exactly the greatest where I am. So, they asked me what I wanted, and I said I want to be wide awake, not even the gas or oxygen. So, they just numbed it and I stared up at the ceiling. The freakiest thing was when they were almost done, and in that suctioning tube all you could see is red (my blood)...then they stitched it, I saw that when they were making a stitch, when they pulled it up into my view. The only thing that happened that was bad was the dentist at one point accidently dropped the blade and cut my tongue. But, he was great overall. Anyway, so when I drove home, I got some vicodan along the way. Was pretty much out monday eve/tuesday morning. This morning I'm feeling much more myself. So, now that I've completely grossed everyone out, yea those atheists...Some can get very fanatical. Anyway, gotta run. I'm making homemade cinnamon rolls, hopefully I'll be able to eat one. :)

Rebecca, Aug 22, 2012 IP
  9. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I find it amusing that in the Information Age people that claim scientific are too ignorant to acknowledge simple things like etymological evolution . As a culture changes so does it's language . Don't believe me ? Go ask a LGBT to go pick up some fags , or if you're a smoker tell him that you ran out of fags to set of fire . See if they go gather wood or give you a cigarette .

The atheism idea was areligious but the modern day atheism is a cult not a philosophy .

ApocalypseXL, Aug 22, 2012 IP
  10. Alter2Ego

Alter2Ego Active Member

Best Answers:
    ALTER2EGO -to- APOCALYPSE XL:
    Atheism is a religion aka a cult in every sense of the word. Atheists don't have any problem admitting that the default atheist religious belief, Secular Humanism, is theirs--when it enables them to reap the benefits of religion. Then they turn around and claim they are not a religion when their hypocrisy allows them to do so. Below is a quotation evidencing this.

http://vftonline.org/Patriarchy/definitions/humanism_religion.htm

Alter2Ego, Aug 23, 2012 IP
  11. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You start talking about atheists then brand them as secular humanists. The two are not entwined.

I have no problem with you saying secular humanism is a belief system but my problem is you assign the term secular humanism to atheism then you go on to explain the meaning of secular humanism - where does it say an atheist MUST be a secular humanist?

It's like assigning 'chocolate' with the name 'brown stuff' then describing mud. The two are entirely separate things imho.

Bushranger, Aug 23, 2012 IP
  12. pladecalvo

pladecalvo Peon

Best Answers:
    Now don't you go confusing him with facts fella!

pladecalvo, Aug 24, 2012 IP
  13. echo_unlimited

echo_unlimited Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Please read what I said again and perhaps read what you originally said.

I'll restate my point in a more descriptive way:

It wasn't because he didn't believe in god that he went out killing people. Take Hitler as an example, a Catholic. He killed people, but did that have anything to do with his religious beliefs?

You just have to look in the past, I'm not saying people don't kill in the name of religion, but that usually isn't the actual reason. Also, with atheism, you cannot make that argument, as there is nothing in atheism that tells people to go around killing believers. Atheists DO NOT have a collective thought on anything. If disbelief is a religion, what else are we going to judge as religious?

Not a lot of people agree with that, myself included. I think society has progressed enough to say that type of stuff, from whoever, is morally wrong on every level.

I could have just replied saying, to paraphrase:

"Try telling that to the billions or so that were killed by God--because he is the God"

It doesn't cut with me or anyone else. Religion like that, does not belong in politics at-all.

echo_unlimited, Aug 26, 2012 IP
  14. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    To sum it up :

Atheist contentiously chant "Religion is poison".

Atheists seize power .

Atheists slaughter millions of priests on no other charge then the fact that they were priests .

Atheists bulldoze and dynamite churches and buddhists temples .

Atheists loose power in bloody insurrections .

Atheists declare that their atheism had nothing to do with the genocide .

Yep makes perfect sense :rolleyes:

ApocalypseXL, Aug 26, 2012 IP
  15. echo_unlimited

Best Answers:
    And yet, you fail to make any point other than the fact they are atheist. What exactly has any of all that got to do with atheism? Explain that. The fact religious people murder as well, I really don't see what point you are trying to make.

It's like saying this:

But you wouldn't say because they are men, they went out to do all that. This is where you make a stupid case, it is a MOTIVE of sorts, that makes people do things. People are brought up everywhere in different ways. Who knows what one believes, or what one considers moral or not. The fact of the matter is, atheism just means a person doesn't believe in god. It doesn't have a second meaning, that atheists should start killing people, slaughter millions of people, seize power or any of that. It SIMPLY means they have a disbelief in something. You wouldn't call not believing in fairies a religion, would you?

echo_unlimited, Aug 26, 2012 IP
  16. pladecalvo

pladecalvo Peon

Best Answers:
    He probably would! He'd probably also claim that not collecting stamps is a hobby.

pladecalvo, Aug 26, 2012 IP
  17. Alter2Ego

Alter2Ego Active Member

Best Answers:
    ALTER2EGO -to- BUSHRANGER:
    I suggest you go take your complaint up with the 2005 Wisconsin Federal Appeals Court--which I quoted at Post 4 of this thread--and the 1961 U.S. Supreme Court. Both courts made a direct link between atheism and secular humanism. Pointing fingers at me--simply because I posted what the courts said--is self-defeating as I have no control over court rulings.

Atheism is broken down into several religious sects, including the following:

1. Buddhism
    2. Taoism
    3. Jainism
    4. Ethical Culture
    5. Secular Humanism

By default, all atheists are secular humanists because they insist they don't need a supernatural god telling them how best to live. Specifically, they claim humanity can perform good deeds towards society "without recourse to supernaturalism" aka without the need of a supernatural god. That thinking is what is defined as secular humanism. Until you can produce for me an atheist who doesn't share the above sentiments, your argument is dead in the water.

DEFINITION OF HUMANISM:
    1. the quality of being human; human nature

2. any system of thought or action based on the nature, interests, and ideals of humanity; specif., a modern, nontheistic, rationalist movement that holds that humanity is capable of self-fulfillment, ethical conduct, etc. WITHOUT RECOURSE TO SUPERNATURALISM
    http://www.yourdictionary.com/humanism

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    Alter2Ego, Aug 28, 2012 IP
  18. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Have you forgotten we all have Google? It seems you're talking about this case and it says NOTHING of the sort.

Bushranger, Aug 28, 2012 IP
  19. Alter2Ego

Alter2Ego Active Member

Best Answers:
    ALTER2EGO -to- BUSHRANGER:

I presented quotations from three different independent sources at Post 4, Post 6, and Post 30. There is nothing I can do about people that are "selectively" blind. You are familiar with the expression: "There is none so blind than they who will not see"; are you not?

Nuff said.

Alter2Ego, Aug 28, 2012 IP
  20. echo_unlimited

Best Answers:
    http://vftonline.org/Patriarchy/definitions/humanism_religion.htm

All down to context. Read all of that and then come back. :) - I did.

echo_unlimited, Aug 28, 2012 IP