1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

false impressions

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by maverick, Jun 19, 2005.

how false impressions are treated by adsense? If people access the site many times themselves, would it be fine with google? Or they would consider it as false impressions?

maverick, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If people are accessing the site many times, how would that be a false impression?

digitalpoint, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  3. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    I can't see them paying too much attention to it, but they may choose fewer CPM ads for multiple requests from the same machine. Think of a forum the same visitors can look at literally 100s of pages a day (with this place being a good example of that).

dct, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  4. Andi

Andi Peon

Best Answers:
    I recall a site owner complaining a few years back that visitors who used pop-up blockers were stealing his content. This appears to be that same attitude to a lesser degree. How dare people visit the site multiple times without clicking the ads?

Repetition works for advertisers, watch TV for just a few hours if you don't believe that.

If it is the site owner visiting the site occasionally to test various things, that has to be expected. If the site owner is visiting repeatedly to create CPM revenue that would be click-fraud and risking the account. I visit my home page many times a day but it has no Adsense, other pages I may visit only when modifying them just to test.

Andi

Andi, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  5. bluegill_catcher

bluegill_catcher Active Member

Best Answers:
    I often visit my sites daily, in fact one has too. I am constantly tweaking my wording, updating my software, or just updating the site, adding new awards or reviews my software gets, and right now I am redesigning the whole site. So one often has to view their own pages numerous time a day, at times.

bluegill_catcher, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  6. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    How could you have click fraud if they pay you for impressions? Conversely, why would G care about impressions when they pay you for clicks?

Mav, Google doesn't care how often you view your pages with Adsense on them, just don't click on the ads.

exam, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  7. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Google pays for CPM nowadays if the advertiser decides to go that route. So yes, I was wondering too about 'Impression Fraud'. Automated requests must be easy to filter out but as mentioned above, you browsing your own site or a forum can easily add up to 1000 impressions hence earning you/someone CPM.

Yet 1000 imps vs. 1 click = not much to worry for Google IMO since were talking a completely different scale here.

T0PS3O, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  8. Andi

Andi Peon

Best Answers:
    You could call it "impression fraud" to avoid confusion, though you are clicking to open the page to make the fraudulant (CPM) impression, so technically you could be confused either way. I am not confused about what I said or what I meant, though I can see how someone might be confused if I called both kinds of fraud "click-fraud." I will not entertain any more questions from confused parties, either you "get it" about CPM vs click-through pay or you don't. :)

Andi

Andi, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  9. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, cool. I'm not confused... thought you were :D glad to see all is ok.

TOPS, I didn't realize G payed for impressions. I learn something every day!

exam, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  10. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Should read the AdSense newsletters (unless you're not an AdSense publisher of course, then you have to source your info elsewhere).

Advertisers can even key in which actual sites they want to advertise on. I haven't tried that yet as an Advertiser. Quite a bit has changed over the past 2 months for us actually.

T0PS3O, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  11. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    I try to scan them. You're right I need to read them :(

exam, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  12. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    It only takes sacrificing 3 minutes here on DP. You can do it.

T0PS3O, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  13. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    I think I can I think I can..... :) Thanks for the encouragement. I think you just might be a better shrink than Minstrel
    <ducking>

(sorry for the cross-thread humor)

exam, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  14. maverick

maverick Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the replies, my point was, if you access your own site many times a day, it should not bother google as long as its not CPM. If you are paid for CPC, does google bother about impressions (whether they are by accessing the site by the user itself or automated whatever..)?

maverick, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  15. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    The impressions column in the Adsense stats is supposed to be "real visitors" no bots etc, They most likely discount impressions that come from IPs that you have logged in from... dunno. :(

exam, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  16. Trepan

Trepan Peon

Best Answers:
    No they don't. I have checked adsense for impressions after I visited a lot of my pages and they counted it.
    I'm sure it was my impressions because it was a low traffic site and nobody could have made so many in that time frame.

Trepan, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  17. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Unlike preventing you to click, they can't make you not browse your own site. That would be outrageous. So in that rgard it doesn't matter how many impressions you make yourself.

It will skew the stats as in lowering your CTR. But unlike in AdWords, that doesn't matter for AdSense performance directly. Your stats might look less interesting than they would otherwise but it doesn't really affect you.

T0PS3O, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  18. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I experienced that Google doesn't count when you work from your usual IP address, but sometimes they do(did):confused:(I mean page impressions)

Arnie, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  19. maverick

maverick Peon

Best Answers:
    I have experienced long back they cound the impressions if we access our own site.. but is it acceptable for them.. is what I was thinking.. cause now a days, I am updating my sit very frequently..

Secondly, tops30, not counting our own impressions might increase the CTR, as the impressions wont be counted... or did i understand it wrong whatever you said..

maverick, Jun 21, 2005 IP