1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Fallback routing for localized DNS outages?

Discussion in 'Apache' started by Maestroc, Feb 21, 2017.

Some of my clients are having problems when their local DNS providers have temporary issues and they cannot connect to their site. Everyone else in the world can get to it just fine, but one geographic area of the country seems to be cut off for periods of 15 minutes to a couple of hours.

Other than setting up a fallback server somewhere else are there any options that I can set up to mitigate the problem when it occurs?

I had a thought that I could route them through a proxy server somewhere else in the world to allow them to get around the local DNS outage but could that be set up automatically somehow? So that if a person gets a DNS error for a site on the server it would fall back to send them through a proxy server?

Maestroc, Feb 21, 2017 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Depending on how bad the routing problem is, can't they just change their DNS-provider?

PoPSiCLe, Feb 21, 2017 IP
  3. Maestroc

Maestroc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Someone else suggested that to me today too. I think we are going to try moving their DNS over to Cloudflare and see what happens.

Maestroc, Feb 21, 2017 IP