1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Fake high PR directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by arrisweb, Aug 30, 2014.

Web directory market is probably lost, because of fake high pagerank directories.
    Most webmasters/website owners can't recognize a fake pagerank.

Today I visited http://www.vmoptions.com/directory-list.php

I like this website, but I noticed some fake high pagerank directories listed there.

Do you think owning a web directory is good option when there a many greedy people?

arrisweb, Aug 30, 2014 IP
  2. snakeair

snakeair Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's still to many people trying to make a cheap buck and have no clue how to run a quality web directory. They don't care about the user submitting there pride and joy (There website), they take your money and screw you over on the fake PR.

There is one dude on here puts up fake HIGH PR web directories all the time and even get's called out on it. He still doing this after a very long time. That's one member who is clueless and out to make a buck. No wonder why Matt Cutt's killed the directory industry a long time ago. It's people like that who attract the Google staff to focus on one niche and tear it apart for a long time.

I used to use web directories to search for business's or local business's (niche directories) but now I don't. I can't find to many quality directories.

snakeair, Sep 1, 2014 IP
  3. arrisweb

arrisweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you are right! I think also google does not care about. Otherwise they could create a "report fake pagerank" page.

arrisweb, Sep 1, 2014 IP
  4. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I don't think it is so much that they do not recognize the FAKE PR as much as it is they are looking for PR, any PR, fake/real, whatever. Any short term boost is still a boost to many and whether the PR is valid or not does not seem to make much difference to some people.

It's extremely easy to spot the fake PR. But again, some people want that boost they think they will get from being linked in a directory with high PR.

I own two, have for a very long time. We don't push PR, make false promises or overcharge people for snake oil. We simply provide a well categorized directory that we update daily. We do it at a fair price and our turnover is literally ZERO as a result. I would say about 75% of our listings are provided by repeat customers.

Mia, Sep 3, 2014 IP
  5. Steve Jay

Steve Jay Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    How is PR faked? Doesn't Google rank sites, and don't you run every new site you have thru a PR checker?

Steve Jay, Sep 9, 2014 IP
  6. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    There are several ways. I guess fake might not be the best adjective to describe what is really fraud or deception.

One of the most common and easiest ways is to buy a recently expired domain that had HIGH PR. Then use that domain until the PR tanks; which it will eventually.

Another way is to embed hidden links from HIGH PR websites to your own. The most commonly used are .EDU websites, or high PR foriegn TLDs.

Google should simply do away with their entire PR scheme. It is something that was long ago exploited and continues to be easily taken advantage of.

Mia, Sep 16, 2014 IP
  7. tipsclear

tipsclear Active Member

Best Answers:
    Due to fake high PR web directories, my genuine Directory still stand with PR3 and undergone so many attacks and finally, I lose everything. Now I am struggling with PR and reputation lose. Since 2009 to date, I am on the same position PR3, but gain Good Domain Authority and Page Authority. Just asking marginal fee for my hard work only. Expecting a good time to return.

tipsclear, Sep 18, 2014 IP
  8. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    I review twenty web directories each quarter (which includes the top ten from the previous quarter), so I am always looking for new directories to add to my directory of directories, hoping to find some that are worth reviewing the following quarter, and I would guess that as many as ninety percent of the "directories" that I have come across are crap, and that most of these were probably never intended to be quality directories, while others may have been started with good intentions but not enough resources to make a go of it.

The sad thing is that many of these junk directories have high PageRank, and while some of these junk directories have enjoyed high PageRank for some time now, Google seems to be going after the lower tier of the ten percent of directories that aren't crap. Rather than taking out the junk, Google seems to be looking for reasons to penalize some of the few useful directories that may not have done everything right.

sunilmamo likes this.
  9. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    This is because Google sees these directories as direct competition. That's something the "do no evil" company just does not like.

Mia, Sep 19, 2014 IP
  10. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm always ignoring these web directories back then even if it is faked or not because most of them are low quality sites it just like taking a risk if you try to use them.

KylieSweet, Sep 21, 2014 IP
  11. luken

luken Member

Best Answers:
    Most Of list providers place wrong PR information's because they owned some directories in the lists.

luken, Oct 2, 2014 IP
  12. dwhswebhosting

dwhswebhosting Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed, there is about 5 directories that actually are real now-a-days. And those are over priced.

dwhswebhosting, Oct 15, 2014 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    And those are?

Mia, Oct 16, 2014 IP
  14. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    Those kinds of questions rarely receive answers, I've noticed.

Mia likes this.
  15. CYCchips

CYCchips Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think still web directory counts so what in need is find a way to flag those fake ranks like google dose,,so this something that people who like to manage a directory should do..if there is a problem there should be a solution too

CYCchips, Oct 28, 2014 IP
  16. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Still waiting... cricket, cricket..

Mia, Oct 29, 2014 IP
  17. rehash

rehash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sometimes you can tell straightaway. Example aviationprints dot net it's clearly a dropped domain where someone installed a directory script. Anyway, that list is very poor and outdated.

rehash, Nov 1, 2014 IP
  18. gkd_uk

gkd_uk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Even though Google are no longer updating page rank, the tool bar showing PR still exists. I don't think we will see the end of such sites until Google get rid of Page Rank on their tool bar.

gkd_uk, Nov 2, 2014 IP
  19. Dario McNut

Dario McNut Member

Best Answers:
    It is very important to work on quality websites. Websites that can help your drive more traffic to your website.

Dario McNut, Nov 11, 2014 IP
    Mia likes this.
  20. SkyWaltz Labs

SkyWaltz Labs Member

Best Answers:
    You are absolutely right mate! Even we can't submit excessive directories because Google can penalize the website if maximum of the links coming from directory is found by Google.

SkyWaltz Labs, Nov 15, 2014 IP