1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Fact: Clicking on your own ads won't get you banned...

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by equinoxprime, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    People have dynamic IPs, proxies, different computers that they log in on to do different tasks, ranges of IP addresses available to them, etc.

There has to be some leeway, because in some cases a person will log in on an IP address that is later used by another person to visit their site. And of course we all make mistakes and click on the wrong thing once in a blue moon. So Google has to get the balance right, and it's no surprise if their system isn't perfect all the time.

Obelia, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  2. playkid

playkid Peon

Best Answers:
    i accidentally clicked on my ads before, never reported it and nothing happened

playkid, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  3. magoo

magoo Peon

Best Answers:
    I've done it lots of times to experiment and see how much I'll get for a click, for example on a page of new content. I've never been banned. In my experience all that happens is if there are more than 2 or 3 clicks then you will not get paid for them

magoo, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  4. bizhobby

bizhobby Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm currently using www.asrep.com, the full version has prevention of what might seem like "generating invalid clicks". (Basically you can limit number of clicks from same IP within short period of time)

bizhobby, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  5. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you guys realise that you don't get banned straight away for invalid clicks? Google audits the data and brings out new algorithms to detect invalid clicks on a regular basis.

When they bring out a new algorithm they apply it to historic data as well as current data and apply bans depending on the results.

mad4, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  6. YIAM

YIAM Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Belive me I will never try it. And always aske others to never do such things.

YIAM, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  7. zetas

zetas Peon

Best Answers:
    I would rather say that you will get banned only for trying to cheat adsense by clicking through proxies or stuff like this... clicking more times from the same ip or from the ip you use to login will be filtered and ignored.

zetas, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  8. E8MC

E8MC Peon

Best Answers:
    "Better safe than sorry" -- if your site is quite popular and visited often, why take the chance of being banned by clicking your own ads? IMO, that's just not good business sense.

E8MC, Sep 7, 2006 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  9. ncaditya

ncaditya Guest

Best Answers:
    vladid clicked on own ads yet didnot get banned.

I don't think vladid meant that you click on your ads and don't get banned.

There are some exceptions G is allowing. For example on some high traffic sites I saw two contextual ads on the same page. This is against TOS and this is what they said even in reply to the email.

Also I have seen some newsletters running adsense. What about this?

Anyway vladid>>Plz don't do it. Who knows which snake is hiding in which bush?

Aditya

ncaditya, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  10. Telmari

Telmari Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the title of the thread is a little misleading, to start with, because for most people, clicking their own ads IS the reason they got banned.

Secondly, I think there's a difference between "accidentally clicking an ad" and "occasionally clicking an ad to 'test' the URL", especially when there's no real need to since there are other tools to help you determine the URL.

Thirdly, of course, Google's fraud/invalid click measures will usually filter invalid clicks from your own IP and they show up as 0$. But why test it out or try to devise a formula to find out how many clicks you can receive and then how many you can generate yourself and still be okay? What happens on that day you do it and Google decides you've crossed the line from 'accidental' clicker to 'intentional clicker' because you didn't receive enough clicks for the day, or what not?

Also, I think saying "they don't care" as a fact is a little forward, considering their TOS specificially states:

Seems like if they didn't care if you did it from time to time intentionally (AKA, their invalid click detection was good enough to filter out all the clicks a publisher made on his own ads), they wouldn't tell you it's a violation to click your own ads repeatedly.

Just my two cents though. I'd be pretty happy to just get more than 1k clicks a day :)

Telmari, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  11. ThisBuzz

ThisBuzz Peon

Best Answers:
    removed by ThisBuzz to avoid spam comparison

ThisBuzz, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  12. MySpace

MySpace Peon

Best Answers:
    "cough spam cough"

MySpace, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  13. ThisBuzz

ThisBuzz Peon

Best Answers:
    myspace I can assure you that post was not spam. I did consider deleting the post which is maybe what I should do and will do. (edit: removed) I truthfully wanted to give something which I value highly. Well at least 1 person got a PM through quick enough.

ThisBuzz, Sep 20, 2006 IP