1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

facebookmarketplace.com

Discussion in 'Appraisals' started by 617media, Aug 15, 2010.

Anyone give me some appraisal advice/opinions on this? I've had several offers but don't know what to do. Whether to hold onto it or sell.

thanks

617media, Aug 15, 2010 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Sell it asap - having "facebook" in the name could lead to trademark "problems".

beware of buyers who say they'll give you whatever price is recommended by XYZ valuation company where XYZ charges a fee. They'll disappear the moment you pay for the valuation.

sarahk, Aug 15, 2010 IP
  3. 617media

617media Peon

Best Answers:
    Sarah thanks for your quick reply.

This is what I have gotten about from about 50% of people I have asked. The other 50% tell me to hold onto it and that I should get a big offer in the near future.

I am much more leaning towards your advice because of the possible trademark problems. I have been offered $1000 by several legit buyers, but I want to stretch it to at least 2k. Might as well try?

However my friend who owns a web company thinks it could be worth a shitload of money in the near future due to the keywords.

617media, Aug 15, 2010 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Your friend is probably right but whoever monetizes it will need to be prepared to spend plenty to gain plenty and many people here just can't afford that kind of risk. You need to consider how much you are prepared to pay before you realise that gain?

I haven't opened the domain but if you haven't already got content up I would. The sooner it looks valuable and gets attention the sooner you will get that juicy offer.

Again... to develop it well you're either going to have to spend some $ or time because a domain name like that needs to have a site that impresses otherwise you'll look squashable.

sarahk, Aug 15, 2010 IP
  5. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't risk time and $$ on that domain. Better ask for refund.

dlatua, Aug 16, 2010 IP
  6. mirul

mirul Active Member

Best Answers:
    TM issue - I'd say $0...

mirul, Aug 16, 2010 IP
  7. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It's worth nothing - and I would actually say the value is negative because of cost of litigation and possible damages being awarded.

mjewel, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  8. -jay-

-jay- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dont listen to anyone about TM / negative value.

If the name does not get traffic , it has no value because its a crappy name. that simple. Develop or Drop.

-jay-, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  9. SiteSpeculator

SiteSpeculator Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Exactly: Traffic = Value (PERIOD) ---> TM Infringement does NOT equal ZERO value.

Measure the risk and move forward - If everyone is THAT afraid of TM issues or feels that TMs means ZERO value -Then I'll buy any GOOD I-Pad (or I-Phone or Mac . . .) domain names you guys have for your reg fees - just PM me. :)

SiteSpeculator, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  10. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What's the point assuming such as risk? There are a lot of domains MUCH better than that....
    These kind of domains are simply a waste of time. The only way you can have revenue is from traffic (without developing it), which will not be that much in parking revenue....

dlatua, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  11. -jay-

-jay- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what risk ? I doubt Facebook will come after you for facebookmarketplace.com
    and if they actually did draw up the C&D you just give them the name. No harm, no Foul.
    Its worth the risk as long as you think the domain may get traffic.

-jay-, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  12. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Facebook has been aggressive against going after a lot of of domains with their TM in it. They are under no obligation to server you with a C&D. They can just sue you in court without notice and seek treble their attorney fees, plus damages. Trademark holders have a legal obligation to protect their brand.

mjewel, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  13. -jay-

-jay- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is true. But 99.9% of the time they just accept the domain as payment. It would be different if the domain we were talking about was Faecbook.com or something like that.
    But If I go register face---book.com, I think I can sleep at night without worrying.
    Not saying you do not have a valid point, only that you have to take the domain itself into consideration. (facebook pays to sue you, why would they sue for something that has no value)
    in this instance....no worries for sarahk. If this domain was developed into a site that got 10k uv daily..........then I would atleast change my name in the whois for it ;)

-jay-, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  14. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    jay, what you just said is the risk. :p

dlatua, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  15. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    All you have to do is look at the names facebook has already taken action against. Changing the whois does absolutely nothing, nor does privacy protection. The persons real name, credit card, IP address, is all made available with a court order.

mjewel, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  16. -jay-

-jay- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The part about the whois was a joke...

Well, I guess there is a risk. But I have been registering domains for over 10 years and have registered a few thousand that were typos of major companies, sites, etc..
    That was where the money was years ago, typos that had overture counts which usually meant traffic. Ive had names that got thousands of uv daily from typos and never once had any problem. This risk is so misiscule that it is foolish not to take it.
    This topic goes back to that old phrase........no guts.......no glory.

To each their own.

-jay-, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  17. SiteSpeculator

SiteSpeculator Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Do you think Facebook would sue if you developed it into a site that sold info products on creating quality "Fan Pages" and/or successful Facebook "marketing"?
    Doubt it because you would likely be seen as a positive addition to revenue.
    Now - again - I agree with Jay - doubt they would do anything anyway - but to be a little safer - if you develop - keep it positive to Facebook.
    Lots of affiliates out there right now pitching how to utilize Facebook Ads -
    Doubt the name alone pulls anything in the high $xxx range - even with all the facebook ad affiliates out there right now - if it did I bet that would be exactly where it would be used.

SiteSpeculator, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  18. kenlapz

kenlapz Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, it will give u some problem with trademark & copyright

kenlapz, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  19. 617media

617media Peon

Best Answers:
    I just want to let you know you all are absolutely idiots, and i cannot believe i based part of my decision on random, ignorant people on a forum like this. I sold out for $1,400, after hearing again, and again how it is 'worth nothing'

oh yeah? Well guess what. Now the company that payed me $1,400 - which might as well be a couple pennys.... They sold it to oodle inc, in partnership with facebook itself.

So thank you for being part of me losing anywhere from $20,000-100,000

good thing i have 6mg of xanax left peace out

617media, Oct 6, 2010 IP
  20. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    And did you have the contacts & business experience to get that deal done?
    Chances are you didn't and therefore you couldn't have made that profit.

Plus, once the final buyer sensed how inexperienced you were they would have beaten you down.

sarahk, Oct 6, 2010 IP