1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Facebook spam question

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by Quippy, Jun 26, 2015.

I'm new here, so if there is a section for Facebook, apologies.

I'm having a problem with Facebook spamming my news feed, but not with ads. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to do something about this since it isn't really ads.

If a Facebook friend of mine "likes" a group or page that I've never visited or contacted, Facebook posts the group in my news feed with a "Like page" at the top. If a friend of mine adds someone as a friend who is a total stranger to me, Facebook posts it in my news feed with "Add Friend" at the top of the post.

I'm getting so many of these posts from Facebook harassing me to like pages and add total strangers as friends that it takes time for me to scroll through all of them to be able to see what my family and friends are sharing with me.

The difficult part of this is that Facebook blames the groups and friends for doing the spamming. I selected the "report spam" option that Facebook gave, only to have the group in the post contact me, upset because I reported them as spamming. They weren't doing the spamming, Facebook is doing it, but Facebook blames the groups. It's the same with the friend adds. If I choose that I want to hide the post, Facebook replies telling me to block the friend who added a friend. I want to stop this because the tactic is so dishonest. But these aren't ads. They're posts coming from Facebook, and the more I check off that I don't want to see these kinds of posts, the more I get. Does anyone know how to stop this? I don't just use Facebook to stay in touch with long-distance family and friends, though that's very important to me. I also have to use Facebook for work. Deactivating isn't really an option.

Quippy, Jun 26, 2015 IP
  2. mswengel

mswengel Active Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately this is a "feature" of Facebook. Companies can create these ads in that show which of your friends "like" their page.
    As for the suggested friends, this too is a "feature" that I detest. Unfortunately it's just part of the Facebook experience.

You might try activating an ad blocker on Facebook.com if the ads on the side get to you. I don't know of a way to get rid of the sponsored posts or suggested friends, however. I share your frustration.

mswengel, Jul 4, 2015 IP
  3. Jake Wellson

Jake Wellson Peon

Best Answers:
    You can try to adjust what you see in your news feed by opening up your FB control panel (upper right corner) and choosing "News Feed Preferences". You will get a list of people, groups and pages, that you have seen posts from in your news feed. If you want to stop seeing stories from a specific person, group or page, simply unfollow them (you will have that option to the right of each person/group/page's name). You can also unfollow a person directly from their FB profile page by clicking on "Following" on their cover photo. Your News Feed will stop offering you stories or activity by this person. Don't report people or groups, unless they are sharing content that is offensive to you personally, or they are breaking the FB gidelines and TOS. When you see content that you wish not to appear in your News Feed, click on the tick in the top right corner of the story/post and select "I don't want to see this" and then select "See less from (whatever the name is)". You can also select "Hide all" if you want to remove stories from your News Feed that were posted by people, Pages and groups you are not connected to. This is the proactive approach you can take in order to clean up your News Feed. It will take time, and you need to be persistent, in order to get some notable effect. Also, the less you engage (liking, sharing,commenting) with the content from a certain person, group or page, the less you are going to see from them in the future. :)

Jake Wellson, Jul 6, 2015 IP
  4. Dario McNut

Dario McNut Member

Best Answers:
    You can unfollow that certain friend of yours without removing them in your friends' list.

Dario McNut, Jul 30, 2015 IP
  5. kamentk

kamentk Member

Best Answers:
    Facebook earns their money from ads. They have to show you some ads. The problem is that the ads are not targeted in a good way. You can set up preferences in your profile about wha ads you arwe interested in. They will show you more ads like this. You can use the option on each add to tell facebook that this ad is not suitable for you. Then you will give them more information about your interests and get more suitable ads. Don't report theads. Just mark them as not related to you. Also don't use adblocker. If you have website you will see how bad is that. And just don't get so mad about the uninteresting ads. Take it easy.

kamentk, Aug 5, 2015 IP