1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Facebook Limited API

Discussion in 'Facebook API' started by scotsmarc, Aug 3, 2010.

Hi Guys,

I have been working on delivering a new social networking site and integrate several applications into facebook that allows users to search for dates, from an app within facebook along the lines of compare hotness. However my developers are saying that facebooks limited API does not now allow this. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

scotsmarc, Aug 3, 2010 IP
  2. DuValEnterprises

DuValEnterprises Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I will be the first person to say that the FB API is FAR from being limited, in general. You can do some very amazing things with it. :)

In regards to your question, it is unclear how you intend the application to function.

Are you trying to make an app that searches other dating apps (Hotness, as you mentioned) and scrapes user data from them? It won't work...

Are you trying to make your own app that allows people to find a date? This WOULD work (obviously there are many similar apps out there, Zoosk, etc.). The only LIMITATION is that users of your app will only be able to search among OTHER users of the app. Other users being those that have granted permission to your application, to allow it to access their data, like the "Single/In A Relationship" field.

Of course there is no API call that lets any application access the entire user-base of Facebook and search for users who are "Single" and from a certain location, this information is not publicly available on Facebook, so why should your app be able to access it? It would also negate the purpose of every privacy feature that FB has created in the past 4-5 years.

DuValEnterprises, Aug 3, 2010 IP