1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Facebook Competition: Post Like Cheating?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by dotcom123, Feb 24, 2014.

I am running a competition for a wedding photographer, basically they send me a photo - I add it to the competition folder and the photo with the most likes wins the prize.

One of the entrants photos that I uploaded went up 1000 exactly in a few hours after only being at 330 after 6 days, then 1 day later it was at 1340. Can I check to see if they are bought likes or if they are genuine? Most of the likes profiles don't have pictures so I am concerned that they have cheated.

Can I check this?

dotcom123, Feb 24, 2014 IP
  2. ethanleif

ethanleif Member

Best Answers:
    Facebook offers the option to promote pages or pictures via their ad manager page. Facebook makes it available on the newsfeed on all target users and has a call to action tag " like this page" something like that to get the likes.
    I don't think you have the option to know whether they promoted or not because that data is only available at the user's end.

ethanleif, Feb 24, 2014 IP
  3. dotcom123

dotcom123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeh I know how the ad system works. But I googled buying facebook likes and you can purchase likes for certain posts / photos - you just have to put in the link address.

Over 800 of the likes they have don't have profile photos. I need to see if there is a way to prove they have cheated?

dotcom123, Feb 24, 2014 IP
  4. SliceOfLife

SliceOfLife Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pretty much this. Every single legit FB user has a profile photo of some sort, so it's easy to rule these out straight away. Another way is to check the activity, friends, likes etc. of the profiles if set public. Not always possible, but many fake profiles are not protected like that. This added with the pretty sudden jump in likes strongly suggests cheating and has grounds to more or less prove that.

SliceOfLife, Feb 25, 2014 IP
  5. Repucaution

Repucaution Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I absolutely agree with this answer, really the thing that the most of the profiles you got likes from are without any profile picture, there is evidence at least.

Repucaution, Feb 25, 2014 IP