1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Facebook charged me over $1000?

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by imh00052@cox.net, Mar 25, 2010.

My wife has a facebook account that she hardly ever uses. Yesterday my bank was hit with over 25 charges from:
    FACEBOOK.COM*CARD AUTH 650-543-7818 01
    and
    FACEBOOK.COM*CREDITS 650-543-7818 01.
    The charges vary from 1.01 to 50.00. It is 1012.02 in total and the overdraft charges will be around $800 if it goes from pending to posted. I called the number but it was a message saying to leave my credit card number and I will get an email back later. I have called my bank and disputed the charges but could only email facebook as they have no contact info. I am pretty freaked out right now and wanted to know if anybody else went through this.

imh00052@cox.net, Mar 25, 2010 IP
  2. markoservice

markoservice Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Oh, it is very bad. Try to resolve issue from facebook soon, Or else you can not reverse payments.

markoservice, Mar 25, 2010 IP
  3. wandu

wandu Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, totally stunned here. Facebook can do that? What happened?

Ok WILD GUESS would be, your computer has spyware and whoever's behind it got hold of your wife's Facebook account and all other private info you have, probably used your details to put up an advertising of some sort on Facebook and that is what you are getting all that charges for.

Oh and you know what? I just googled for Facebook's contact number, you know, in case I find it, I can go back here and post it but this is what I found instead.

http://www.contacthelp.com/directory/Internet/Web+Sites/Facebook?ListingID=324

Facebook obviously don't think Customer Support should be on their list of priorities.

wandu, Mar 25, 2010 IP
  4. fcs

fcs Peon

Best Answers:
    really? USD1000 facebook charge you?? how come??

fcs, Mar 25, 2010 IP
  5. nikkipope

nikkipope Peon

Best Answers:
    i think this is due to some spyware i havnt lisiten such complaints about the facebook and FB also don`t require and ask for a credit card unless you make some purchase

nikkipope, Mar 25, 2010 IP
  6. DamnYouChucky

DamnYouChucky Peon

Best Answers:
    wow dude that is messed up.

keep us updated on how this turns out, Im interested.

DamnYouChucky, Mar 25, 2010 IP
  7. downloadvyp

downloadvyp Peon

Best Answers:
    there is no way.how could facebook have your card number ? when you register you don't need such thing!! so,it can't be .you got scammed by someone else..
    t

downloadvyp, Mar 25, 2010 IP
  8. imh00052@cox.net

imh00052@cox.net Guest

Best Answers:
    Spent the day at the bank and the police station. Both said it is most likely fraud. I just wish I could talk to someone at facebook to see what these charges are for. I have no invoice or bill and on my wifes FB page there is no CC info registered. Sometimes we buy stuff online but have never given out any info to any untrusted site. Any one else get any charges from FACEBOOK.COM*CREDITS 650-543-7818 01? What are they charging me for anyways? Anyone know what you can buy from facebook for $40 or $50? This is all confusing to me as I don't go on FB alot and really have no idea what is going on. Thanks for all your help and I hope this does not happen to anyone else.

imh00052@cox.net, Mar 25, 2010 IP
  9. ft913

ft913 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry to hear about your incident. I have heard that we can buy virtual gifts from facebook.
    I think you have some virus running in your computer. I would advice you to clean all that with a good antivirus or spyware. If that doesn't work then format your computer.

ft913, Mar 25, 2010 IP
  10. vip-ip

vip-ip Active Member

Best Answers:
    I had this happen to me with AdWords when I first got a credit card and wasn't careful enough about PPC campaigns. It was my stupidity for not pausing / deleting a campaign after a promo voucher expired. I bit the bullet and ate the charges. This case, however, sounds like fraud to me - someone's using your credit card to fund their ads. Have your credit card company investigate this, as well.

vip-ip, Mar 25, 2010 IP
  11. gameutopia

gameutopia Peon

Best Answers:
    That sucks. This from the real facebook and not some spoof or phishing scheme that looks like facebook. I would definitely scan your computer for any bugs just to make sure and peace of mind. Hope you get this resolved, that is a lot of money.

gameutopia, Mar 25, 2010 IP
  12. Hollow

Hollow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Facebook credits are virtual credits. Since your saying that only your wife has an account there, then ... She, or someone else has bought facebook credits with your card.

Have a look at the following for more info:

About Facebook Credits, Billing

You basically buy credits for apps, like maybe poker, farmville, etc or the usual popular games (I'm not too sure since I don't have a facebook acount, but those are the most popular in general).etc and spend them on the facebook apps.

I really hope it is maybe a scam, but I highly doubt it, unless someone else might have stolen your credit card to buy credits. You just have to find out from which account the credits were bought and used. (if you have kids, they do that sometimes...)

Hollow, Mar 25, 2010 IP
  13. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It appears you are not alone: http://www.facebook.com/help/?question=429617 Unless that is your wife. In which case, I'll remove the link if you like.

If you have this problem, please click the button in the link. Facebook will be more obliged to look at the link.

However, I agree with the consensus that it is a spyware issue. Who do you bank with, if you don't mind me asking? I use Wells Fargo and they are usually very nice about this stuff, especially if it is the first time. Though, that was with $400, not $1k.

D_C, Mar 25, 2010 IP
  14. niralimarwadi

niralimarwadi Peon

Best Answers:
    contact facebook support immediately.

niralimarwadi, Mar 25, 2010 IP
  15. nucleus99

nucleus99 Peon

Best Answers:
    Contact facebook support ASAP and try to resolve the issue. Also contact your bank before you get hit with fees. Tell them you have fallen victim to fraud and hopefully they will be able to help you. All the best.

nucleus99, Mar 26, 2010 IP
  16. nica65

nica65 Peon

Best Answers:
    How does FB get a hold of your credit card ##? what were the charges for?

nica65, Mar 26, 2010 IP
  17. DamnYouChucky

DamnYouChucky Peon

Best Answers:
    find where facebook is hosted, ask for where the data is coming from, track them and burn the building down.

DamnYouChucky, Mar 26, 2010 IP
    puremonopoly likes this.
  18. shrkscn

shrkscn Peon

Best Answers:
    Normally FB support team replies to the email withing hours.. not sure if you have already dropped them a mail.. Normally such $1 to $50 charges are for the ads that you run on FB. Have you tried the contact us link?

shrkscn, Mar 26, 2010 IP
  19. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is really absurd and shocking! But then... I have always been apprehensive about sharing one's personal details on social sites such as these! :(
    Hope the support at Facebook gets into action quickly and help you nail down the culprit....asap!

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, Mar 26, 2010 IP
  20. rockjone

rockjone Peon

Best Answers:
    i think you shoould have to contact facebook now

rockjone, Mar 26, 2010 IP