1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Facebook Ads: Why do I get the 'wrong' fans?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by socialmedia-blog, Apr 15, 2016.

For my Facebook Fanpage, I have recently started an advertising campaign. Since I am aiming to promote my blog with my Facebook fanpage, the German text in the ad reads: "Stephan Mayer blogs about social media and online marketing in Germany and China."
    My budget is pretty low because my main objective was try to out whether the campaign works out successfully on a small scale. If successful, I thinking about increasing my budget. In the image below you can see the fans that have clicked onto my like button. One German fan, three non-German fans. Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 08.09.10.png

That result gave me a big surprise because I had previously selected my audience very carefully (as you can see from the next screenshot). I defined 'Germany', 'German language', age group and interests. Any idea what went wrong? Do you have an idea why I am getting Arab fans instead of German fans? What do you think about the interests I defined there? I am curious about your ideas...

And please do not give me any suggestion like "you could have more fans via addmefast or any other 'fake fan service'. What I would like to get is highly "useful" German fans that are interested in reading the content on my Facebook fanpage and lead to a constantly high engagement rate and (ultimately) to a large number of readers of my blog.

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 18.46.17.png

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2016
    socialmedia-blog, Apr 15, 2016 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    How do you know they aren't German?
    From what I see on the news Germany is full to the brim with people for whom those names would be normal.

You want entrepeneurs, right?
    1. There is a Rahaf Sawah who lives in Germany but I can't tell if she's the one who liked your page
    2. EL Mo-pac Omayrat lives in Germany and is totally your target market.
    3. Shex Aid Shekhki lives somewhere that gets bloody cold in Winter - could be Germany, I guess
    On the plus side all appear to be real accounts. Time to get to know your target market better. It looks like only 25% of entrepreneurs are "native" Germans.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    sarahk, Apr 15, 2016 IP
  3. China_girl

China_girl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess those can also be some kind of fake ids or not really from Germany but from some vpn, ip address.

China_girl, Apr 15, 2016 IP
  4. The Soul Explorer

The Soul Explorer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well, I think those people who clicked the like button are currently living in Germany.

My best view for this one is that I believe facebook wouldn't allow it if your target is from Germany.

My suggestion is you can check the profile of those people from where the come from.

The Soul Explorer, Apr 16, 2016 IP
  5. socialmedia-blog

socialmedia-blog Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    sarak, China_girl, Soul Explorer: Thank you very much for your comments. Just checked the profiles and the fans definitely claim to be German and from the age group 18 to 35. Will try to readjust the campaign and change some of the interests to see whether this will have a result. Maybe makes sense to target people 25+, as the younger ones may be students instead of employees.

socialmedia-blog, Apr 16, 2016 IP
  6. And_The-Teddy_Bach

And_The-Teddy_Bach Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, I know the problem. Those are like farms from India and Pakistan. They get paid $1 per 1000 likes they give, which is really annoying. Since you want to advertise in Germany, I suggest you do following.
    1. When you type in the location, you should also exclude countries like "India", "Pakistan" and so on.
    2. When you create interests, try to narrow down the audience.

Two simple tricks. Helped me a lot, didn't get any spam likes in the future.

And_The-Teddy_Bach, Apr 23, 2016 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Those profile pages looked real enough to me. Did you check them?

sarahk, Apr 23, 2016 IP
  8. koderius

koderius Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yup -In addition to paying for like farms - FB ads are heaving A lot of fake impressions .

koderius, Apr 27, 2016 IP
  9. FemaleAdda

FemaleAdda Member

Best Answers:
    Really?? Is that a thing? So I am guessing that those fake likes dont help in business at all. why would they?

FemaleAdda, Apr 28, 2016 IP
  10. iskandar

iskandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think your interest targeting is broad. Not only you might be paying lots for likes, but they are not targeted too.

For interest, I suggest you put other similar facebook pages close to your niche. And names of popular people in your niche and see how it goes.

And as for Location, instead of Germany, go for cities -- like Berlin etc. You'll be surprised how different cities react.

I found that my relevence score consistenly at 10 when I do this kind of very targeted audience.

p/s I'm new too. If Im wrong pls let me know

iskandar, May 21, 2016 IP
  11. Mr.John90

Mr.John90 Member

Best Answers:
    If you have selected Germany and German language then I'm sure every like will be from Germany IP. Facebook will not display your ads to Arabs unless there is a big problem in their system. Don't judge by names, every country have different nationalities and religions.

Mr.John90, May 22, 2016 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I've proven they were in Germany

sarahk, May 22, 2016 IP
  13. Brucode

Brucode Member

Best Answers:
    By the names you can not judge the person is actually from where and also by checking the IP because it also changes within a minute by using any proxy server or VPN. you may guess by Keep focus on the person facebook activities.

Brucode, May 24, 2016 IP
  14. David G. Welch

David G. Welch Member

Best Answers:
    As it has been said above, they are germans, probably immigrants or descendant of immigrants.
    You should improve your segmentation to a more specific ones, using more interests and excluding some people.
    Try to use the Audience Insight tools, there are some things there that can be useful.

David G. Welch, Jun 30, 2016 IP