1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

eZine - 1 - 0 - Squidoo

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by poseidon, Apr 25, 2008.

Ok, Alexa shows Squidoo and ezine articles are pretty much same in terms of traffic but I think from link building point of view, ezine is way way more valuable than squidoo.

Some of the reasons for this conclusion are -

1. Squidoo uses Nofollow on links as compared to ezine's follow (well I didn't saw any nofollow in them atleast)
    2. Articles gets shown on front page in ezine giving you immediate traffic and exposure as compared to squidoo where you are buried with 100k other articles.
    3. RSS of ezine is used by others and infact, I have seen many of my articles got used by others with proper backlinking to source giving me more links.
    4. ezine has NO BS approach unlike Squidoo. I mean come on, squidoo showing "We like you" just way too many times.

Anyway squidoo has been marketed well (was obvious with seth) and probably it suits more towards marketers who are looking to get the word out but if you are looking for some link juice, don't waste too much time on it. There are good chances your article won't be even seen by 10 people.

I will be interested in listening what you guys thinks.
    Pushkar

poseidon, Apr 25, 2008 IP
  2. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    How long have you been using Squidoo for?

Nofollow is applied to lenses in WIP status.

Reprobate, Apr 26, 2008 IP
  3. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    I wasn't aware of the 90k rule but still this takes way more effort to get a link which may not even be worth it. I am talking this from the link building point of view.

But I loved the idea of WIP. They have made sure that people can "only take as much as they give"

Regards

poseidon, Apr 26, 2008 IP
  4. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    90k rule?

Not sure what you're talking about there.

If it's got a white tick in the green circle in your dashboard next to the lens, it's Featured Status. If it's a white minus sign in the gray circle it's WIP status.

Featured Status is pushing around the 250K mark.

Reprobate, Apr 27, 2008 IP
  5. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    I thought the ranking has to be below 90k (after ur reply I had checked in Google). So how hard is to achieve 250k ?

poseidon, Apr 27, 2008 IP
  6. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    It's not hard at all to get it into the sub 250K range. First day published it'll be around a lensrank number of how many lenses have ever been created, but after the next lensranking it'll bounce up. Past the sub 100K mark if you get a few quick backlinks at the likes of squoogle.com and isleofsquid.com.

Just having someone from even one of those lens directory sites review the submission will give it a substantial boost (as it's counted as traffic from a different source). I've tested the theory (with some other people) and it works.

Don't be surprised if you do a LOT better than 100K, but I prefer to under-promise and over-deliver :D

Reprobate, Apr 28, 2008 IP
    poseidon likes this.
  7. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the helpful tip as I wasn' aware of it. I have put it on my site and linked to you as source. Feel free to ask for change of url of source if you want :)

Cheers
    Pushkar

poseidon, Apr 29, 2008 IP
  8. m0nkeymafia

m0nkeymafia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have never used eZine / article submission for backlinks, is it actually worth it?
    Anyone have any good resources to hand related to it?

Cheers

m0nkeymafia, Apr 29, 2008 IP
  9. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    That'll do quite well! :)

I'd change this bit though...

Tip - Squidoo ranks the lenses and keeps links as nofollow for those which have little content or have little views. Once you get into under 100k,the links will become follow.

...to...

Tip - Squidoo ranks the lenses and keeps links as nofollow for those which have little content or have little views. Once you get into under 250k,the links will become follow.

If you can make the squoogle.com and isleofsquid.com into live links that would be great too! :D

Reprobate, Apr 29, 2008 IP
  10. arjun316

arjun316 Active Member

Best Answers:
    100k is views or ranking

arjun316, Apr 29, 2008 IP
  11. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    WIP is Work in Progress.

There is a delay for new lenses before they can be added to groups, etc.

Many links in Squidoo are not nofollow.

If you create good Lenses (Squidoo pages), then you can make some decent money, as they are revenue sharing.

Also, your Lenses can gain good PR and be valuable in other ways.

usasportstraining, Apr 29, 2008 IP
  12. ExtremistOak

ExtremistOak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    they are both good resources

ExtremistOak, Apr 29, 2008 IP
  13. korr

korr Peon

Best Answers:
    Unless they changed the algo, you just need to have more than three or four modules and hit 'publish'

As soon as you get some links to the page, either from http://www.lensroll.com or some other site, your lens should be updated to featured status after the next update.

One thing I noticed is that del.icio.us modules stay 'no-follow' since they're importing all the link data straight from that source site. I don't think each squidoo backlink has much weight on it since the page has so many other links on it to begin with, but you can put a ton of your backlinks in, especially deep links that match the content & keywords of the lens.

korr, Apr 29, 2008 IP