1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Extra sitemap to complement the main one

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by yulsa, Aug 26, 2010.

Hi everyone. Hoping somebody can help.

I work on a large CMS site. Recently the site has been updated and our system developers have created main sitemap for top level pages of the site. However, we have a lot of content in one of the folders which they didn't include in the sitemap (and are not planning to in the near future).

None of the pages in that subfolder are getting indexed. I want to create a sitemap of files just in that subfolder to speed up indexing. How would I submit it? Just as a separate file to all the engines? Or does it have to be added to the main sitemap (which is problematic). What other options are there?

Thank you.

yulsa, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  2. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just as a separate XML sitemap. Shouldn't cause any problems.

websitetools, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  3. more_sem

more_sem Peon

Best Answers:
    xml sitemaps wont solve your indexing problem, better to link it graphically over an html page and add a link of that page to your index page. This will save your from maintaining two sitemaps

more_sem, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  4. yulsa

yulsa Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Thomas.

more_sem: I hope it will at least help alleviate them. With the recent updates many of the links from ranking pages do not show proper urls (they add all kinds of session IDs and what not). While I'm waiting for the coding side to fix that part I'm ready to try anything and everything to start the indexing of the folder. What do you mean by "link it graphically?" Could you explain in a bit more detail? Thank you.

yulsa, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  5. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think he is recommending that you have a HTML sitemap that links to the pages you want indexed. then link the HTML sitemap from main page. That way you get link juice distributed around your entire website.

Concerning session IDs, A1 Sitemap Generator can cut them off (an option you need to enable), but it really is a thing that ought be fixed in the website. (As you write yourself)

websitetools, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  6. yulsa

yulsa Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think HTML sitemap would work in our case, except maybe for high level pages. We are a specialized social networking site with literally thousands of pages... Is there some kind of limit on how many sitemaps one can submit? Any specific rules to improve chances of indexation?

yulsa, Aug 26, 2010 IP