1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Export password and ODBC

Discussion in 'Optigold ISP' started by abatie, May 20, 2004.

I'm trying to enable the ODBC interface so I can do some consistency checking with our other in-house databases. I've enabled the local and remote data access companions, but when I go to File/Sharing, it's greyed out. The FM docs imply that I don't have a password that allows exporting data, though I've given my account all the groups there are in Employee Info. I assume either I'm going in the wrong place to enable this, or there's some builtin restriction I need to release? Any tips? Thanks...

abatie, May 20, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I just double checked, and they are enabled by default in the normal Optigold distribution. So as long as you have the plug-in(s) enabled, it should work. What file/table are you trying to enable it on?

Also, if it's a one time thing, you might save yourself some trouble and simply export the data from Maintenance & Preferences -> Export Raw Data

- Shawn

digitalpoint, May 20, 2004 IP
  3. abatie

abatie Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried Main_Menu and Global, though I wanted to do the entire database as I don't know what's where or what data is actually being used. In the internal export, there are a bazillion fields that I doubt we're using all of. I may be wrong though ;-) I just tried doing a full dump of Customer Data, selecting Move All Fields and Filemaker choked the system. I was impatient and hit the reset when I couldn't get it to stop, but I'm trying again and will go home and let it crunch overnight... I guess I'll call Filemaker tomorrow and find out what password they're looking for... Thanks!

abatie, May 20, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Try the password isp. As far as the export, just export what you need. For example Login and Password maybe?

ODBC access is not going to eliminate any of the fields.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, May 20, 2004 IP
  5. abatie

abatie Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried building my own little table, and then found this link: http://www.digitalpoint.com/lists/74508.html

Sigh. Can I have FM7 convert the optigold files and will everything work still, or are there compatibility problems? I worry when it says "converting" and then goes away for a while...

abatie, May 21, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It seems to work on a conversion. I wouldn't use it in real-world though, since there is no FileMaker 7 Server at this point.

digitalpoint, May 21, 2004 IP
  7. abatie

abatie Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, even with a simple little test db of my own with FM7, I can't get the odbc interface to work, so I've given up on tilting at this windmill. File a "Feature Request" to move this app to a mysql backend... Well, I can dream, can't I? ;-)

abatie, May 21, 2004 IP