1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

.exe (VBs) decompile

Discussion in 'Programming' started by webmasterplace, Aug 1, 2008.

Hi,

I have a program (written with Visual Studio 2005). It's compiled to an .exe, but now my question is if it's possible to decompile it again?

It's because I'd like to change some things to the program.
    If you have experience with programming, please post here or send me a PM!

Thank you very much ;)

webmasterplace, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  2. brian65

brian65 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've not heard of tool that specifically decompiles VB.Net programs but they probably do exist.

Lutz Roeder produces a tool called Reflector that let's you look inside .Net executables and assemblies - http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/ so you can see the code. With some effort you could decompile in this way.

One problem with decompiling a .Net program is that people obfuscate programs to protect them from decompilation. If you opened the EXE with Reflector and you see meaningless names for classes and methods then it's been obfuscated and it will be harder to reconstruct the original source.

brian65, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  3. webmasterplace

webmasterplace Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your reply. I have tested the program and get this error when opening my .exe file with the Reflector:

Invalid number of data directories in NT header.
    Code (markup):

4. brian65

brian65 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm guessing here but ... some obfuscators place extra junk code into EXEs and assemblies to fool or even crash decompiler/ inspector tools like Reflector.

brian65, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  5. webmasterplace

webmasterplace Peon

Best Answers:
    I have found another tool: VbsToExe.exe
    With this you can convert VB-Scripts into EXE files, but you can also extract the original VB-Script from the EXE file. Unfortunately I'm blocked this time because of another nasty thing: a Password :s

Is there a way to find out the password (by using OllyDBG/HIEW or something?)

6. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is funny because if you'd like to change somethings to the program why not go back into the source code (that you write) and change it..

Maybe you meant... you have A program written in VB and you'd like to decompile it to the source code (because you don't have it) and make changes?

NetStar, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  7. webmasterplace

webmasterplace Peon

Best Answers:
    I never said I wrote the program ...
    I said I have a program that is written with Visual Studio 2005 and I would like to change some things. Don't turn my words.

webmasterplace, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  8. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You may be able to make changes to the gui with a resource editor or a hex editor. Good luck.

NetStar, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  9. nhl4000

nhl4000 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting thread, I think its best to redo the program if its not too hard. Please PM the program and I'll see what I can do to have your changes be done. I got some decompiles and other tools since I am a VB.Net programmer.

nhl4000, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  10. Arkserver

Arkserver Banned

Best Answers:
    i ask the author if the software ;) i doubt he likes it that people are decompiling his software without him knowing.

Arkserver, Aug 7, 2008 IP