1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Examining how Google Adsense looks at this forum.

Discussion in 'Placement / Reviews / Examples' started by wingdude, Dec 21, 2004.

1. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    It seems easy to abuse. Link it to a high ranking 'meso' page and voila, there you have high paying ads on your cookie recipes site. People don't have a clue what the ad is about and click for a peek.....

But then G can peobably see the page it links to in that line of code is way different than the source page and raise a big red flag.

Interested to hear from people implementing this line in their code...

T0PS3O, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  2. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's very easy to track, especially in your earnings report. All of the sudden you see a huge jump in CPM, but page views are the same? Something wouldn't look right to google, and thusly, you'll get banned.

Infiniterb, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  3. wingdude

wingdude Peon

Best Answers:
    Well guys, I quickly took it off but I realised something, I had registered about 300 page impressions that day but Google didn't pick up any, I therefore realised that there must be google ads on that site otherwise it is tracking thin air and if you linked to another site like DP they would get the money!!!

wingdude, Dec 22, 2004 IP
  4. Infiniterb

Best Answers:
    For those that would like to do this with vbulletin, you can simply add the following line to your adsense code:

google_page_url = "pathtoforums/archive/index.php/t-$threadid.html";

Replace pathtoforums with whatever your path to the forums is.

Infiniterb, Dec 24, 2004 IP
  5. wingdude

wingdude Peon

Best Answers:
    Infiniterb, as TOPS said isn't this 'modifying the code' or is it allowed, it would help many people if this was allowed e.g forums and blogs

wingdude, Dec 25, 2004 IP
  6. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I dont know if it would be really modifying the code, since technically, you are not modify the code. You are just adding something before it..

Josh

Josh, Dec 25, 2004 IP
  7. wingdude

wingdude Peon

Best Answers:
    If that's the case I'm afraid I'm going to have to disappoint some viewers of the thread. For this to work so you recieve money I have found the following need to happen:
    1. The url you use must have GOOGLE ADS on.
    2. Those ads must have your code otherwise they get the money.
    All this code seems to do is redirect the spider to look at the other URL and use their details (the content and the affiliate code [pub-****]) so unless its your site it won't work in my opinion

8. wingdude

wingdude Peon

Best Answers:
    What about this for a spin of the topic. By accident I clicked on the 'Use Frames' option of Google and I saw that the extra bit of code was added "google_page_url =" This basically links to that frame instead, so is what Shawn doing illegal or is he just linking to another 'frame' because the content shown is not the one he wants indexed.

9. classifieds

classifieds Sopchoppy Flash

Best Answers:
    I'm new to adsense and the DP forums.

Would you guys be willing to dumb-this-down a little so I could more clearly understand what it means and its implications?

Thanks either way. I'm learning fast!

classifieds, Dec 25, 2004 IP
  10. wingdude

wingdude Peon

Best Answers:
    OK, if anyone else can help it will be kindly appreciated. Basically Classifieds, Shawn (DP webmaster) has added a line of code to the google adsense ads you see on this forums, this line of code - google_page_url, can redirect the Adsense bot to look at that other page instead of the one you are seeing right now. We are contemplating whether this use violates the TOS of Adsense or not.

11. onestop

onestop Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I need the answer of this question also. I've an SEO mod on my phpBB forum, and google indexes static url's for my forum. But when users login they see php url's. It would be just incredible if I can implement the same code. But is it legal? I'm kind of new to adsense and I don't want to get in trouble.
    But since both static and dynamic url pages belong to my forum would it be a problem? I'm just trying to serve more relevant ads to my visitors.
    Any ideas? maybe Shawn can clarify this also?
    Thanks in advance.
    Matt

onestop, Dec 26, 2004 IP
  12. Infiniterb

Best Answers:
    You'd have to ask google. IMO it's not illegal. All it simply does is look to a text archive of the thread to allow better results (read: more targeted) for the visitors. vbulletin adds a lot of extra crap and causes the ads to be displayed wrong for some threads.

Infiniterb, Dec 27, 2004 IP
  13. wingdude

wingdude Peon

Best Answers:
    My problem is whether you could also link to an external site (methoselioma) and the ads would be displayed like that. I tried it but it didn't register any impressions or clicks

wingdude, Dec 27, 2004 IP
  14. Infiniterb

Best Answers:
    You can link to wherever you want. The problem with that, though, is that it can be tracked. If you're looking to scam the system, I wouldn't do it. In the end, you will get caught. The whole point of this variable is to help sites who cannot get the proper ads shown for their content (read: sites with frames). It also happens to help publishers with forums who have a problem displaying proper ads to their forum content.

15. wingdude

wingdude Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for your advice, so does it mean you can link to any page on your site?

16. Infiniterb

Best Answers:
    You can't just use that variable to link just anywhere within your site. For instance, you create a high paying keyword page, point the variable of the adsense code to that page, and have the adsense code reside on your main page. This will show the wrong ads on your main page in relation to your content. This will raise a red flag and ultimately kill your adsense account.

17. wingdude

wingdude Peon

Best Answers:
    Raise a red flag with whom? How would Google technically find out because the spider is being directed away and does not know the content of your original page?

18. Infiniterb

Best Answers:
    Because google can track when the mediabot hits a page that has it's code running on it, then is redirected. You and I don't know exactly what google can/cannot track, but it's safe to assume that this is something that can be tracked.

19. wingdude

wingdude Peon

Best Answers:
    I suppose, so how come when Shawn uses it it won't raise a red flag? Unless what you are saying is that the bot somehows works out the content is roughly the same as the one its being redirected to. This actual code as I mentioned before is used for frames and in that case it would be no use for the mediabot to track the page it is placed on.

20. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wingdude...the problem is....
    you mentioned 'meth oseli oma' which means, unless you run a consultancy, that you have built a page purely to run google ads.... i am pretty sure that makes you a violator of googles TOS, And that means that they should kick you off completely.
    Have a good day

Solicitors Mortgages, Dec 27, 2004 IP