1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Everybody, please READ THIS! (AdSense Reporting Down On Thursday)

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by fryman, Sep 7, 2005.

1. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL :D
    I'm one of those sad people that has taken his laptop to the beach. But then working from the beach during the day sure a hell beats sitting in doors. The beach happens to only be 2 miles from my front door.
    It takes me 30 minutes (if that) to check that things are still OK whilst I'm on vacation. Paying someone to do that is a complete waste of money (imho). If something goes wrong, I can work just as well from anywhere in the world (almost) as I can at home. So I just take my stuff with me and take longer vacations.
    Do I check things everyday whilst I'm away - no, that's what the scripts are for. Do I trust automated methods 100% no, that's why I have the ability to check things.
    Make technology work for you, why should you stay at home and work. I can do exactly the same work when sat on a 2 month cruise - and I know where I'd rather be.

jlawrence, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Yeah, working while on a cruise sure seems like a nice idea, what I meant was that sometimes you need to disconect yourself and let your mind forget about work and just enjoy life...

And then get back to work...

fryman, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  3. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    That is true, and that is one of the major advantages of the business we're in.
    You can unplug and basically work when and where you want.
    You certainly get some looks sat working on a site on the beach rather than sitting reading a book.
    We're lucky, as one of the beaches here is covered by a hotspot. I just take my office (Laptop and IP phone) put it in a bag and go to the beach. Then think about all the daft people sat in an office working :D

jlawrence, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  4. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    That must be the best part... being able to work wherever you want, whenever you want...

Had a good night and suffering from a severe hangover? What the heck, wake up at 2 p.m! No boss around to fire you :D

Being able to work in your pajamas with a beer besides you... priceless...

fryman, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I get my earning stats posted to my bank account summary statement once a month. Some special deal they set me up with. You can log in to your account (don't know the url sorry) and tick EFT to get this confirmation monthly.

T0PS3O, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  6. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    You mean you check your stats once a month?

Because if you do, that sure is a dumb thing to do... you should check them at least once a day to look for any weird spikes or sudden click boosts that could mean something is wrong so you can get in touch with Google as soon as you notice it.

fryman, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  7. markhutch

markhutch Peon

Best Answers:
    There are many people that check their stats three or four times per hour. Just wonder if they wouldn't be making more money if they spent that much time upgrading and promoting their web sites? However, I've got that one beat, I think! I was reading a message thread in another forum a few days ago about what people were going to do over the Labor Day (US) holiday. Many folks said they were going to movies, the lake and other fun stuff like that. One guy wrote; that he was just going to sit home and watch his web site stats all weekend. Now, that's a person that needs to get a life!!

markhutch, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  8. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    What I don't understand is if they are doing scheduled maintenance, why wouldn't they just put a small box in when you log in that says "Stats will be down for xx amount of time while we perform neccesary maintenance"

Wouldn't that save them 1000's of emails?

yfs1, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  9. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Ah... the never ending mysteries of google.... just like wondering when gmail will be out of beta...

I had to find out by reading their blog, and I agree that having to post this at forums to announce people what Google is going to do sure seems a bit absurd

fryman, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  10. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Its appreciated (not sure why someone gave this thread one star). It really makes you think though about Google. AdSense is the biggest PPC out there by far and its reporting is going to be down for 8 hours. What do they do? Post it on a blog that very few even know exists let alone check it constantly.

yfs1, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  11. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    My suggestion for everyone here would be to go visit this link
    http://adsense.blogspot.com/
    and subscribe to the blog, you will get every new post sent to your email as soon as it is posted. ;)

fryman, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  12. yfs1

Best Answers:
    I'm already subscribed but my point is more about AdSense publishers in general. I would guess less than 5% know the blog exists and less than 1% are subscribed. So it seems a weird place to make an announcement about an 8 hour disruption.

Does anyone think I am way off on those percentages?

yfs1, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  13. EWpro

EWpro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    fryman,
    atleast you prevented one - from me :D

EWpro, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  14. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Well at least you won't get your head slapped by me now :D

Yeah, yfs1, I agree... wonder why Googleguy hasn't joined over here so he can give some explanation of why can't they post a damn note in their site everytime they are going to do some upgrade or maintenance?

Hey Jen, tell Googleguy to hop in!! ;)

fryman, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  15. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Of course we haven't seen ASA since the suggestion thread :eek:

By the way, the notification would be nice on paid services like AdWords and AdSense. I'm not proposing the same for search (although we wouldn't mind a box warning that they will be updating PR in 3 days so there may be some downtime :p )

yfs1, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  16. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Amen to that brother... w/e's is party time most of the time. You'd live a short life doin this stuff 18 hours a day 7 days a week.

dcristo, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  17. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I remember blogging about way back in July 2004. I still check stats everytime I can (something like 10 times a day :eek: )

Ajeet

PS: Am no longer associated with that blog.

Ajeet, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  18. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Yes that's what I said.

Whatever you say Fryman. You're intelligent :) Now excuse me, I have to log in to my AdSense account because else I'm dumb.

We're not all obsessed by AdSense and we're not all relying on it for food and shelter. That would be a dumb thing to do ;)

T0PS3O, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  19. Offender

Offender Peon

Best Answers:
    I check my stats quite often but only because its my job and I get paid to do it. :)

Offender, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  20. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Its funny...It seems like the clicks are way behind but the Earnigns are up to date. I haven't ever seen that before.

Either that or I am getting $20+ a click which I could get very used to :cool:

yfs1, Sep 8, 2005 IP