1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Even Million Dollar Corporations Spam & Keyword Stuff.

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by ViciousSummer, Feb 12, 2006.

I was shopping for shoes at SteveMadden.com the other day and noticed that they have decided to keyword stuff their site...At the bottom of every page is the following:

lady shoes lady dress shoes lady golf shoes wholesale lady shoes large size lady shoes wide width shoes lady lady evening shoes lady designer shoes lady size 12 shoes large lady shoes lady high heel shoes lady casual shoes lady comfort shoes steve madden mens shoes lady fashion shoes lady narrow shoes boot madden steve steve madden boot madden slipper steve clog madden steve steve madden boots steve madden slippers madden man shoes steve steve madden sweater shoes steve madden knit shoes knit madden shoes steve womens designer shoes womens casual shoes designer womens shoes large size womens shoes womens wide shoes mens and womens shoes wide womens shoes womens shoes wide widths womens shoes boot womens high heel shoes shoes womens shoes

If you click on one of the keywords, like "knit madden shoes steve" it brings you to a landing page that says:

"Thanks for visiting stevemadden.com. You are interested in knit madden shoes steve. Did you know that almost 95% of the visits to stevemadden.com come from people who either type stevemadden.com into the address of their browser or who seach "steve madden" with their favorite search company? How did you visit today? If you were looking for knit madden shoes steve we are glad that you found us. We are sure that you will find knit madden shoes steve at stevemadden.com."

I find shit like this totally annoying. It would be one thing if they pointed you to where you could find "knit madden shoes steve", but it doesn't. Totally pointless pages. The even use keywords for things they don't even carry.

ViciousSummer, Feb 12, 2006 IP
    mcfox likes this.
  2. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    so isnt this against google's TOS?
    If so, why dont you report them?
    Look what happen to BMW's webpage recently.
    DOWN WITH THE BIG COMPANIES! :D

ly2, Feb 12, 2006 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  3. Moneyfolk

Moneyfolk Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess they are using that ploy to keep you on the website in hopes that even if you don't find what you are looking for...you find something else of interest. The idea may have come from the sales people but their webmaster should have warned them google frowns on that kind of stuff.

Moneyfolk, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  4. Moneyfolk

Moneyfolk Peon

Best Answers:
    BTW - ViciousSummer

Funny email in your blog today. :) Did u reply?

Moneyfolk, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  5. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    While I applaud Google's initial decision to ban BMW, I'm puzzled why they re-index'ed them within a week ... that seemed to set a bad example. I.e. use black hat techniques, do well in SERP's for a couple of years, get caught, go back to white hat (where you should have been) and only be "offline" for a few days ...

hulkster, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  6. BadLuck

BadLuck Peon

Best Answers:
    Good point alek. And they tell us to be nice and ethical? Where is the ethics in ban only poor sites and let corporates get away with that crap?!

You think gogole would reindex any of your sites after they cought you using BH ?!

BadLuck, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  7. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    The thing that I find so incredibly stupid is that companies like BMW and Steve Madden don't need web exposure, this desperately. You know the execs know nothing about SEO or even the internet, yet some "SEO" sold them on "more traffic ='s more $$$". 3000 people a day search the internet for "Steve Madden", do you really need to make your company look bad by trying to go after the 11 people that look for "lady comfort shoes" (which you don't even carry, so it most likely won't result in a sale...) :rolleyes:

ViciousSummer, Feb 14, 2006 IP
  8. Oak Aged

Oak Aged Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, the Steve Maggot feetware site should know better. That kinda stuff really annoys me too, and I'd like to see them spanked for such tactics. And it's surprising that BMW should feel the need to resort to trickery. But it's NOT surprising that Goofle should relist them right away. Think about it not only in terms of morality or profit, but of expectation and image. The world expects Google to display appropriate and reasonable results to any given search. That's why a search for "ladies fluffy slippers" should NOT return a site that only sells "mens grungy runners," and it's also why any search that's obviously intended to find BMW better bloody well find BMW or Google suddenly loses all credibility. Imagine a surfer's impression of a search engine that can't find BMW. BMW doesn't have to bribe Google to list them; Google needs to list them.

Oak Aged, Feb 15, 2006 IP
  9. Dejavu

Dejavu Peon

Best Answers:
    And another site that keyword stuffs: bigfoot.com
    Search for the text 'find email', you will see the very, very small font with the stuffing.

Dejavu, Feb 15, 2006 IP
  10. Brad Callen

Brad Callen Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe the large companies that are doing this dont exactly know what their webmasters / SEO professionals are actually doing to their site.

Like BMW.de

hhhmmm but then again they can be re-included in less then 2 days right!

Brad

Brad Callen, Feb 17, 2006 IP