1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ethics of rewrites

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by DallasBBQ, Apr 15, 2011.

I am developing a site for a niche industry group. As part of my content strategy, I would like to post short recaps of recent events in this industry. I plan to review RSS feeds and post short recaps of news stories with links to the original article. Is this considered ethical since all my content will be based on published articles from major news sites? I plan to write original content that is short 150-200 recaps with full attribution. I am not doing this for SEO. This is purely a service for my users to quickly see what is happening in this industry. They can click on the links if they would like read the original article. Is this a common practice? I see a major sports site that is doing the exact same thing – www.realgm.com

DallasBBQ, Apr 15, 2011 IP
  2. theAdviserMe

theAdviserMe Active Member

Best Answers:
    I personally think it is fine and those sites whom you linked will actually thank you for it...

theAdviserMe, Apr 17, 2011 IP
  3. premiumwriting

premiumwriting Peon

Best Answers:
    As long as you're linking to the original source and giving credit there's absolutely nothing wrong with it from an ethical perspective.

premiumwriting, Apr 17, 2011 IP
  4. peejaydee

peejaydee Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say that provided you're writing your 'summary' as a news style paragraph, rather than sumarising the content of the original article and provided you are directing readers to the original page to get the details, then you'll probably be fine.
    Writing summaries is dubious ground. Some might argue that you're using the essence of the original idea for your own purposes. I would avoid summarising the original article. Try instead to focus on what the 'headline' of the article is and report on that making it very clear where the story originates.

peejaydee, Apr 17, 2011 IP
  5. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    There are tools that can automatically 'paraphrase' articles. Search Google for more information on the word 'paraphrasing'

contentboss, Apr 18, 2011 IP
  6. balivillaholidays

balivillaholidays Peon

Best Answers:
    Rewrites are not that bad as long as you link as you fully quote the fragments from their contents. It also much better if you rewrite the story from your original words and sentences and just state a non-live link or nofollow link of your story source.

balivillaholidays, Apr 18, 2011 IP
  7. thesickearth

thesickearth Active Member

Best Answers:
    nobody can own a news event, so if its completely re-writed its all yours, no need to link anybody

thesickearth, Apr 18, 2011 IP
  8. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Rather than simply summarize, why not add something new? IMHO, virtually every news article leaves out background details or other interesting information. You could add your opinion or some piece of information the original writer assumed or left out. That way you are adding to the piece and creating something at least somewhat new. Add something that might be a conversation starter.

It will require a bit of research on your part but done right, you can actually end up outranking the original source material. I had a site where I played with something similar and several of the articles ranked higher in the SERPs than the originals and several were included in Google News. Unfortunately, doing it right, took much longer than I had the time for and a server change eventually killed the site completely.

YMC, Apr 19, 2011 IP