1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Established member, like counts or best answers?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by mrforum, Jul 9, 2016.

Hi,

I think that DP should reconsider how they offer the "established member" badge, because right now it's not efficient and people seems to get likes by chance.

There are lot of users with lot of useful posts and still without any likes. But on the other side there we can see some posts get likes for nothing, for example a two word joke gets like sometimes which is really not useful.

Also it will be best if users get the "established member" badge by best answers count and the number of overall posts.

mrforum, Jul 9, 2016 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'm actually agreeing with this - maybe not the number of posts, but a combination of both likes and "best answer" would probably be a better validator for established?

PoPSiCLe, Jul 9, 2016 IP
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I like this suggestion, congratulations on getting your 1st like.:)

Spoiltdiva, Jul 9, 2016 IP
  4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    If I am not mistaken, one of the reasons why the likes are so hard to get is to make people hang out around the forum longer. That way the new members can get acquainted with the community, rules, what flies, what doesn't fly here. Don't see anything bad about that. Personally, I do not care if I get another like or get any business from this place. I am hanging out here because it's something I enjoy doing.

qwikad.com, Jul 9, 2016 IP
  5. mrforum

mrforum Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much :) I really appreciate it :)

Yes, actually i meant a combination of those things

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2016
    mrforum, Jul 9, 2016 IP
  6. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Generally people don't get likes "by chance" -- but much like whenever this subject or anything like it comes up, it often seems to be from posters who just want to start spamming pointless trash instead of trying to make actual contributions.

Now, I'm not DIRECTLY accusing YOU of this, but there does seem to be a number of common traits to the people complaining about the like system and needing just a handful of them to unlock certain things on the forums.

1) More often than not, once they're allowed to do things they spam and get banned.

2) Their posts reek so badly of broken "Engrish moist goodry" I end up hearing in my head whilst reading them the bad Vietnamese hooker "Me love you long time" joke.

3) Quite often their posts are little more than short incomplete sentence fragments amounting to little more than a "Me too" or parroting what's already been said in a thread -- quite often being little more than copypasta of suggestions already shot down by more experienced people. See "Use jQuery", "use Bootstrap", "use Wordpress" and "use Dreamweaver" for examples of such herpaderp in action.

4) Bouncing week, month, year, and even decade old threads long resolved with posts that are a mix of the above three.

Getting likes isn't hard. Try to help someone else. DONE. Best answers is harder, as you often have to set aside people's feelings to get those possibly costing you likes... but it's not rocket science. A USEFUL member of these forums should be able to maintain at LEAST a 20:1 ratio of posts to likes. Active helpful members range 8:1 to 5:1 quite easily. (as you can see from certain respondents to this thread).

I'm "guessing" since I'm not involved in running the site, but from where I sit the established member thing is there to slap the sleazeball scam artists around to slow them down just enough for the moderation staff to keep up with the real dirtbags. Seems to function fine in that capacity even if it does disadvantage the trickle of legitimate users to be found in the mealstrom of sleazy huckster and snake oil peddlers that make up the majority of web development traffic these days.

... and even when the dirtbags who know *** about *** and are only out to rape the ignorant do make it through, they usually stick to their own subsections of the forums -- see the hives of scum and villainy that make up pretty much every subforum under "business and marketing" -- where people talk out their ass about just about everything in the blind hope of finding a nube or rube gullible enough to buy into their malarkey.

So what I just told you is true -- from a certain point of view.

deathshadow, Jul 9, 2016 IP
  7. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think that it should be changed too. Likes are hard to get and people usually get likes based on luck, not contributions. I think post count is what it should be based on.

CarpCharacin, Jul 10, 2016 IP
  8. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Post count is useless as a base for established membership.
    There is nothing preventing me to post 100 posts to General Chat - doesn't have to be useful, funny, readable or anything of the kind. Hence, post count is completely useless (at least as a sole criteria).

PoPSiCLe, Jul 10, 2016 IP
  9. CarpCharacin

Best Answers:
    maybe 50 or 60 posts in discussion forums.

10. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    All the forums on this site are discussion forums, mate. How do you weight individual forums? Do coding-forums count more than design-forums? How about marketing-forums? Server-related forums? Business-related forums? While a certain post-count can be one criteria, again, the amount of posts says absolutely nothing about the quality. Although, the site do have a quality-meter for posts, which could be combined, of course - however, that would probably be a slight toll on the database.

You have 188 messages on this forum. At least 50 of those are in the support forum, asking slightly inane questions, without much use for the rest of the user-base. Hence, the amount of messages says nothing about the quality of the posts.

PoPSiCLe, Jul 10, 2016 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  11. CarpCharacin

Best Answers:
    89 of my posts are in support and feedback.

12. mrforum

Best Answers:
    I just don't say that it should be the post counts or the other, but it will be great if it's determined by combination of various factors, like counts, post counts, joined date, post length, best answer count etc..

And also DP should have another feature "Request manual review", where users can request the DP admins to review their posts/activity manually so admins can decide if they deserve the Established member badge, in case when they think the automatic system underrated their activity :)
    I hope DP will not ban me for saying that :)

mrforum, Jul 10, 2016 IP
  13. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    It could happen at any time.......tick, tick ,tick.....Perhaps today, later on today......maybe tomorrow.....tick , tick, tick....the clock is ticking. Maybe the next time you try to log in you won't be able to? Tick, tick, tick.....:rolleyes:

Spoiltdiva, Jul 11, 2016 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  14. mrforum

Best Answers:
    Suggestions are prohibited in DP? :)

mrforum, Jul 11, 2016 IP
  15. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    No they are certainly not prohibited, in fact they are encouraged. Humor is also not prohibited and is necessary if one is to survive here on DP.;)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Spoiltdiva, Jul 11, 2016 IP
  16. mrforum

Best Answers:
    lol :)

mrforum, Jul 11, 2016 IP
  17. jv1999

jv1999 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I actually disagree, in part. I think yeah you should become an established member if you reach a certain number of posts (because if you spam you'll get banned, and a post isn't counted as a post unless it's more than 10 words.). It should be Likes OR 200 posts or something like that.

As for "likes being random" that's such utter bs lol. I got my 3 likes in the first 2 days because I replied on new topics with useful info.

If someone asked: "what good seo tip be?" I didn't just respond with a general, hazy: "don't spam, and write content, and also link"

I actually type out paragraphs about how to do it, probably would explain content marketing + backlinking + mobile optimization + meta tags + pictures and boldfont + social media sharing.

jv1999, Jul 11, 2016 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  18. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Exactly. If you bring useful content, you will get likes and best answers quite quickly. I don't remember how long it took me, but I don't think it took me that long after I actually started using the site.

PoPSiCLe, Jul 11, 2016 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  19. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The first three likes are the hard ones because established members recognize their importance to a new member and do not give them out, willy nilly. After the first three likes, they flow much more freely.

jrbiz, Jul 11, 2016 IP
  20. CarpCharacin

Best Answers:
    I completely agree.

CarpCharacin, Jul 11, 2016 IP