1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Error: you may be over quota: Bad file descriptor

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Gajender, May 5, 2018.

Hi Guys,

I am a SEO guy and do not have enough knowledge about web development and coding. So i need your help on the below mentioned problem.

Actually, I was just setting up a 301 redirection (in .htaccess file through cPanel) on 1 url on my site and found below error message while saving the file:

"you may be over quota: Bad file descriptor"

I did some Googled about this error and found some reasons/suggestions like: my disk is full, upgrading the existing hosting plan, remove some unnecessary files from

the root and free some space, deactivate the plugins etc.

Thereafter, I removed the newly added line and save the file (old existing file) but still i am getting the same error message. Why I am getting this message if i did

not add any extra word in the already existing files?.
    SEMrush
    I am just adding half line in the .htaccess file for 301 redirection and found this error message. Can adding a half line can also create this error?

Can I solve this issue in any other way (except the mentioned reasons/suggestions)?

What is the best way to solve this issue?

Do I need to follow the mentioned Reasons/Solutions only?

I need your help.

Frameworks: PHP
    Web Server: Apache
    Document Information: HTML5

waiting for your response.

Thanks

Gajender Singh

gajender.singh999 (dot) gmail (dot) com

Gajender, May 5, 2018 IP
    SEMrush
  2. phpmillion

phpmillion Member

Best Answers:
    First of all, it really looks like you are over quota. If you login to your hosting control panel, what disk usage it shows? If it's 100%, you have the answer...

phpmillion, May 6, 2018 IP
  3. Cameron Fillers

Cameron Fillers Member

Best Answers:
    If you are using cPanel, like phpmillion suggested, then when you access your account, on the left hand side, you will see various data concerning your account. As your cPanel account will also double as your email service, your account can become full with email alone (I have had numerous clients fill up 100% of their quota, as their dump all email account fills up full of spam email, and they never clear it)

The fact that you cannot save changes to an .htaccess file, which is at most, several hundred bytes long means that your account disk quota is full, or the servers disk is full.

Worst case scenario, you should be able to open a ticket with your web hosting provider and ask, and they should be able to shed some light on the situation.

Cameron Fillers, Jun 18, 2018 IP