1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Error when submitting sitemap

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by geomark, Oct 27, 2005.

I created a sitemap and tried to submit it. I get the error message "Timed out waiting for DNS server to respond. Please verify that your DNS entries are correct and resubmit your Sitemap."

I checked my DNS timing over at dnsstuff.com and it looks very good, A or A- speed rating according to them. What else should I check on?

geomark, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  2. Matts

Matts Berserker

Best Answers:
    Matts, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  3. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    try dnsreport.com and see if there are any other problems with the dns for your site. :)

exam, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  4. geomark

geomark Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I checked out that troubleshooting page. Yep, it says that if I get that error my DNS server timed out and I should check my settings. Which I did, of course, and tested the timing at dnsdtuff.com, and it's fine.

I guess I'll have to email G and ask them why they are getting a timeout when others are not.

geomark, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  5. geomark

geomark Peon

Best Answers:
    @exam, thanks, that's a good resource. I just tried it. No fails, all passes except for 5 warnings about stuff that is advice to prevent spam but they say are not worth pursuing. So it all looks good with all the tests I have tried.

geomark, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  6. Matts

Matts Berserker

Best Answers:
    Take a look at your logs. When I was getting the HTTP error, I could see that google was doing a HEAD, and two GETs with a 200 OK on both. If you see that, validate the XML. Incidently, the bot comes by immediately after you ping the server google, but it takes an hour or so to refresh on the UI.

Matts, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  7. geomark

geomark Peon

Best Answers:
    I validated the XML before I submitted so its not that.

And today I tried again...no error this time. G sucks more and more these days. If its not some unstable gyration in PR and rank, its getting 302 hijacked (only in G's SERPs), or junk like these error messages telling me I have a DNS problem when it is they who have the problem.

OK, so now I was able to submit my sitemap. Now I try to verify it. Guess what? I keep getting the error message that their system is busy and I should try again in a few minutes. Man they suck.

geomark, Oct 28, 2005 IP