1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Entire account effected by mailware

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by theplastickid, Jun 20, 2012.

I have an account with a certain hosting company that will for this time remain un-named. All of my clients websites that are live on my reseller account have been infected with a blackhole exploit. Is it the responsibility of my web host to scan and remove this from my server and also to maintain suffician anti virus software on their servers to block this kind of thing? Or does it come down to me?

Many Thanks.

theplastickid, Jun 20, 2012 IP
  2. Sensei.Design

Sensei.Design Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    it depends on the nature of reseller account you have and if you are technically able to remove it as you will need access to the server I guess. Most reseller packages do not allow the resellers to administrate the server (even if their packages is the only one on a VPS) so this would be a job for your hosting company.

Sensei.Design, Jun 20, 2012 IP
  3. InnovusHost

InnovusHost Peon

Best Answers:
    The host should take action maintaining the server since reseller accounts do not have root permission.

InnovusHost, Jun 20, 2012 IP
  4. JFSG

JFSG Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is definitely the host's responsibility. You can't possibly manage the server as a reseller.

JFSG, Jun 20, 2012 IP
  5. SolidShellSecurity

SolidShellSecurity Banned

Best Answers:
    It comes down to them.

SolidShellSecurity, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  6. PromptSpace-Kushal

PromptSpace-Kushal Member

Best Answers:
    Depends. If it's something like a shell script or some kind of exploit that has been uploaded due to a vulnerability in your script. It becomes your responsibility to fix it.

PromptSpace-Kushal, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  7. ironcladus

ironcladus Active Member

Best Answers:
    As PromptSpace said. It will depend on how the sites were infected. If it's a vulnerability on the server side, the host needs to fix it. If it's a vulnerability in one of your scripts it's your problem.

ironcladus, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  8. MilesWeb

MilesWeb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What is your hosting provider saying?

MilesWeb, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  9. werewe12

werewe12 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It really comes down to you. If you're reseller account is infected due to outdated scripts or other vulnerabilities, you should take the steps to fix the issues from occurring. Most hosting companies will monitor the server as a whole and fix/prevent server wide attacks. There are however some hosting companies with security teams, that will extend a hand to remove the malware for you. Even with those companies, they will recommend to take preventative measures so the issue doesn't occur again. Check with your host to see if they have a recent backup which is not infected.. Maybe they can restore it for you.

werewe12, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  10. Dj.c

Dj.c Peon

Best Answers:
    Well.. you should clarify clearly on what kind of issues that you are facing, as if the issues is happen at backend therefore the provider may need to take care on it. If it is a plugin or apps that install on your account thn it is your responsibility.

Dj.c, Jun 21, 2012 IP