1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

English - the next world language?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mrdigital, Aug 14, 2014.

What do you believe are the chances of English becoming the next universal world language? Maybe you think Chinese is more likely? Spanish even? Or Arabic? You can cast your vote at:

www.ubiquitouslanguage.com

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    mrdigital, Aug 14, 2014 IP
  2. Emma S

Emma S Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It could be possible that English will.
    Because Chinese is harder. Аlso сhinese symbols are very hard to draw and you can't read a symbol unless you know Chinese.

Do you know about "Esperanto"?

Emma S, Aug 14, 2014 IP
  3. mrdigital

mrdigital Active Member

Best Answers:
    No.

I am guessing it is a new language?

mrdigital, Aug 14, 2014 IP
  4. RichardGB

RichardGB Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well, right now it is quite hard to switch to another universal language. Not because English is the most simple language in the world but because it is all started from IT and it goes on. By the way, Esperanto was a language that was created by some people in order to be the simpliest language in the world so everybody could talk it. But this attempt had failed as I know.

RichardGB, Aug 14, 2014 IP
  5. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes it will. English is already used widely in the internet.

mylittlepony, Aug 23, 2014 IP
  6. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Correct to an extent. Its purpose was indeed to simplify languages, but also the whole process of learning languages. Basically a language you learn as a preparation to easily learn other languages ;)
    It is more than a 100 years old now and its certainly not extinct. I believe there is a university in San Marino (where it all started) that teaches it and the stats say that around 2m people worldwide know it and there are even 1000 people that have it as a native language. You can check how it looks on this learning site:

http://eo.lernu.net/

Rado_ch, Aug 24, 2014 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  7. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    It depends on your definition of "universal".
    Take 100 people from 100 countries. Their "universal" language isn't going to be Mandarin.
    If I had to learn 3 survival languages, they'd be English, French and Spanish.
    ---
    I'm still baffled by the fact that deaf people don't speak a universal language, and aren't pushing to create one. They could have so easily agreed on an internationally understandable language that would actually be useful for EVERYONE. Do "this" with your hands, and it means "this" in EVERY language, in every country, whether you can hear or not. We could all be using it.
    I could go to Japan, Russia, or Austria and sign in the same language - rather than resorting to the existing international gestures for "I urgently need to poo", or "I want to eat".

Kerosene, Aug 24, 2014 IP
  8. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    While that's a good idea, I can't really see it happening. You'd have to dig deep in the roots of people and change traditions that sometimes date thousands of years. If it is a language per se (not just signs like in your example) the best that could be achieved is the universal language to be taught as a second language. Even though gestures and sign do have their own roots in every specific country/region too. For example, all over the world people nod their heads in agreement and shake them as a sign of refusal and only in home country, Bulgaria (and a couple more like Macedonia and Albania) this is exactly the opposite. ;)

Rado_ch, Aug 24, 2014 IP
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    At some point, there will likely be a convergence of languages, though I suspect that it is still a loooong way off. The Internet is already affecting the English language with new words, new abbreviations, etc., and the Internet will likely be the causative factor for ultimate language convergence. I believe that there will be an "Internetese" that may have its roots in English but will eventually become a worldwide language all of its own.

jrbiz, Aug 27, 2014 IP
    syda, Rado_ch and Content Maestro like this.
  10. farenheit000

farenheit000 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I was under the impression it already was? Not only have the English colonized enough countries in the world over history to influence their languages. Not to mention many countries that aren't native speakers of the English language teach English as a second language. Also, media (music, TV, movies) aid in teaching many people English (some relatives of mine that live in my ancestral homeland).

farenheit000, Jan 5, 2015 IP
  11. Steven1989

Steven1989 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I hope that, because I'm studying english in this period :D

But I'd like it would be real... speaking with people by worldwide without issues with language... A great dream! :)

Steven1989, Apr 22, 2015 IP
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    We can't even get it together on worldwide measurement systems, never mind something as complex as a language. :)

jrbiz, Apr 22, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch and Content Maestro like this.
  13. scott_r

scott_r Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'd like to see a Firefly type universe where we use English and Chinese side by side. And space ships.

scott_r, Apr 22, 2015 IP
  14. kamakama

kamakama Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think world change to English
    For example India , most of Indian people now speak English very good and in the future Indian language will dead also on Arabic countries schools changed to English specialty egypt

kamakama, May 8, 2015 IP
  15. DungeonMaster

DungeonMaster Member

Best Answers:
    I vote for no universal language. Each language has its own unique features, and the language you speak is a reflection of yourself and your culture. To speak one language universally destroys diversity and promotes a single culture.

I vote for Japanese, though... Or maybe Finnish, but I'm better at Japanese.
    普遍的な言語を望んでいません。

DungeonMaster, May 11, 2015 IP
  16. Affixate Digital Media

Affixate Digital Media Peon

Best Answers:
    Think It's now - the first business language!

Affixate Digital Media, May 18, 2015 IP
  17. SocialSignals

SocialSignals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The chances are linked to other factors. Political factors as in economic trade and influence plays quite a role in deciding the expansion of a language.
    I don't think chinese is a viable option, especially when considering that the east and west have continously held to systems of writing. Combinative vs. Referential based.

SocialSignals, May 20, 2015 IP
  18. Knight_Dark26

Knight_Dark26 Active Member

Best Answers:
    english language is the usually using world wide.

Knight_Dark26, Jun 28, 2015 IP