1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

English.net... in Arabic

Discussion in 'Appraisals' started by The Emirates Gallastico, Oct 12, 2007.

Hey guys, just picked this up.

English.net in Arabic.

إنجليزي

or xn--kgbos5ei0ab.net

What do you guys think it's worth? ALL other TLDs (even .info) are taken.

Thanks for your time :)

The Emirates Gallastico, Oct 12, 2007 IP
  2. the_gallery

the_gallery Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, don't see any value in this domain. There are only 17,000 Google results and it is a .net.

I am not sure where you checked the other tlds but they will show as taken for some registrars only because they do not offer IDN in those extensions.

cheers

the_gallery, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  3. The Emirates Gallastico

The Emirates Gallastico Banned

Best Answers:
    Already been offered $800 for it, so glad other people don't think the same way as you do :p

The Emirates Gallastico, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  4. the_gallery

the_gallery Peon

Best Answers:
    Good to hear. Of course a domain is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

cheers

the_gallery, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  5. Fka200

Fka200 Guest

Best Answers:
    The fact that it's a .net doesn't hurt the value for it being an Arabic targeted website. In other languages, I would focus mainly on ccTLD and .com, but Arabic... .net is somewhat equal to .com... so many people use .net in the Middle East that it's more standard (I've done my research, but I have a LOT of stats).

Not trying to prove anything, just making a point. Goodluck with the domain! It's a great one, plus awesome development potential.

Fka200, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  6. tushardhoot1

tushardhoot1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow...

I probably won't go on a site called xn812722susahdg.net (or w/e), but people with arabic keyboards probably will.

You might having some trouble keeping muslim propoganda out if it is going to have a forum? Unless you're selling it, that is.

tushardhoot1, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  7. Fka200

Fka200 Guest

Best Answers:
    It's not xn--... that's something called "The Punycode."

You have two aliases -> The punycode and the Unicode.

If you type in lets say دبي.net in Internet Explorer 7, with Arabic language tag (Tools > Internet Options > Languages > Add Arabic) you will see
    http://www.دبي.net. In Firefox, IDNs are enabled and working, but they are currently using the punycode Alias (this can be turned off) -> http://xn--ngbn6f.net/

http://xn--ngbn6f.net = http://www.دبي.net

Now the punycode, as I said, is xn--ngbn6f.net. This is the "English Alias," it works PERFECTLY with the current domaining system. The unicode, دبي.net, can be typed in using the Arabic keyboard (or copy pasted) and works just like a normal domain does [If typed in unicode ->دبي.net you need an IDN compatible browser Internet Explorer 7 or Firefox-- THE PUNYCODE WORKS WITH ALL BROWSERS).

I hope I sort of made sense. When I first started with IDNs I started laughing. I thought it was complete bull, but my ignorance proved me wrong. In order to monetize for international markets, IDNs are 100% NECESSARY. People can keep their ASCII transliterations, I'll work on my IDNs :) There's still SO MUCH I cannot explain about IDNs due to the fact that I am still a big IDN investor and do not like to spill the beans... so goodluck!

Fka200, Oct 13, 2007 IP
    tushardhoot1 likes this.
  8. tushardhoot1

tushardhoot1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oh I know that, but some of the info was cool.

I just mean that people who speak arabic will but probably not even 1 english person will.

Thats ok for him because its an arabic site anyways.

Rep given.

tushardhoot1, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  9. The Emirates Gallastico

Best Answers:
    To be honest I don't have the money or time to set up a website of that magnitude so will probably be selling it off as soon as I get an offer of 1k or above. As I can't speak Arabic, I think it would cost way too much to hire someone to do everything, especially as I'm a student :p

Also picked up Sweden.net in Arabic :D

The Emirates Gallastico, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  10. Fka200

Fka200 Guest

Best Answers:
    Emirates, you need to remember the PPC aspect of domaining. Sometimes it's great to sell if you get a good price, but if you have a GREAT idn with nice type-in NOW you will be making great money once IDNs are fully main-stream.

So, it's not always about letting something go on the second market, but also keeping it if it is making good change/month through PPC :) (those are the domains i'm currently after).

Fka200, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  11. The Emirates Gallastico

Best Answers:
    Hmm... will think about parking it. :p

Btw, tried to thanks you on IDNF but your mailbox was full so thanked you in the English.net in Arabic thread, thanks again for the translation :D

The Emirates Gallastico, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  12. Fka200

Fka200 Guest

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got it :) No problem, bro! Anytime! About the hosting one, I am still trying to get it verified 100%!

Fka200, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  13. The Emirates Gallastico

Best Answers:
    Cheers. Don't think it's the proper web hosting though as it was still available... usually if things look too good to be true, they are :p

14. Fka200

Fka200 Guest

Best Answers:
    TRUST ME no. If you mine hard enough you can find RIDICULOUS domains that are still available. Granted all the "high" value keywords are taken, but there are still some that WILL receive type-in traffic and oddly enough high overture.

If an Arabic domain has above 1000 OVT, I consider it REALLY good. I found out with about 4400 last week opened in .com/.net + the typo was open as well. Grabbed them all.

Fka200, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  15. The Emirates Gallastico

Best Answers:
    What's overture and how you do check it? :confused:

By the way, are you looking at picking up .bz extensions? Started a thread about it on IDNF :D

16. Fka200

Fka200 Guest

Best Answers:
    Def. not. I only stick to .com/.net. I do have .tv, .biz, and .info, .org IDNs, but 98% of my portfolio is in com/net.

I really like .net in Arabic since it just sounds right. I was worried that .com MIGHT be better in the Middle East, but after this summer, I def. think NET is VERY acceptable.

(http://google.com/trends?q=نت,+كوم&ctab=0&geo=AE&date=all&sort=0)
    ^^ NET VS COM IN ARABIC
    (http://google.com/trends?q=net,+com&ctab=0&geo=AE&date=all&sort=0)
    ^^ NET VS COM IN ENGLISH

نت = net
    كوم= com

Also, this is overture:
    http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

It's US overture. So remember, it's not that accurate [also yahoo tool], but it gives you a decent idea in words in comparison to others. Trends is also another good tool (google.com/trends)

Back to studying :) If you need anything, just me know! Also, get Google results with quotes for Arabics. I mentioned in the PM that there are accents (the hamzas) as well.

Information above can work for a MAJORITY of the languages if you are not a native. Just reg'd about 10 IDNs last night that I am hoping are traffic domains. Hopefully there are still more left in the wild! Remember: IE7 is still not standard. According to my stats of over 50K visitors, around 90% of people are still on IE6 (this is for the Middle East).

Fka200, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  17. arabSquad

arabSquad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great Thread .. as i know Fka200 " or sam " is an expert in this kinda stuff :p

BUT in the last months a really great number of webmasters and users Changed Their browsers from IE to firefox ... especially in arabic webmasters forums ... its like a war out there about who's better :D

on the original thread , Good luck The Emirates Gallastico .. A good domain & i hope you'll find a good buyer :)

But even though , i noticed arabic webmasters RARELY talk or bother registering arabic domains , a good number of domain providers offered registering such domains for the average price of registering domains " about 8-9 bucks " but stills .. i dont think arabic domains are just as used as english ones or even close

arabSquad, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  18. The Emirates Gallastico

Best Answers:
    Cheers mate. Already p!ssed off about 20 of my friends after I kept asking them for translations... :p

19. Fka200

Fka200 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hey ArabSquad,

It depends what you want to do with the domain. If you are getting an English domain, lets say Cars.com... you are targeting only the people that understand what "cars" means. When someone registered Cars.com for the first time, I doubt they thought that someone in Middle East would even care what that website was.

Now in the year 2007... there is an opportunity to own سيارات.com/net. This is Cars.com/net in Arabic IDN. Now you can finally target the audience you want: Arabic speakers.

Some people want GLOBAL traffic. In markets where it's VERY hard to compete (such as in Japan or China) IDNs are a SURE-THING. For an American company trying to market their cars in Japan, it would be hard. But to own a premium domain such as 車.com/.net/.jp, they can setup a presence with the people of Japan online.

They can refuse to talk about Arabic IDNs. They can keep registering 3d4.net and al3ab.net and dardacha.net (or dardasha.net) [ decent domains, I have to say, but nothing compared to the actual Arabic version. Also, some of the things the people are registering on the Arabic forums are just very funny], while others will go and get العاب.net, دردشة.net, and all the others.

And as for Firefox, it's a GOOD THING they are upgrading to Firefox. I use IE7 in my examples because the average user uses Internet Explorer, so it would only be natural for them to go to Internet Explorer 7... but if people are going to Firefox, that's great as well! It is IDN compatible also :). Some Arabic IDNs are getting a couple thousand users/month. I'd like to see an ASCII domain trying to target the Middle East in a specific way try to do that.

Anymore questions, feel free to let me know! - IF ANYONE STILL DOESN'T GET IT, PM ME. I can help people out using MSN Messenger as well.

*** Also, registering an IDN is the SAME thing as registering a normal domain. 車.com and Cars.com are the same price. IDNs are normal domain names with a specific purpose: to target those who cannot speak English. When people in other countries do a search for something, they search in THEIR language. No one in Korea will search for cars in Korea (ok maybe some) but the majority will search for 자동차를 한국에서.

You would have to own an IDN and develop it to see what I am talking about.

Fka200, Oct 14, 2007 IP