1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

English 101: Wrong use of apostrophe s ('s)

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by beeznet, Feb 23, 2010.

1. dulcificum

dulcificum Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're an utter bloody retard. Learn basic grammar before you think of making another post again.

dulcificum, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  2. dulcificum

dulcificum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Completely false. No proofreader in the UK worth their salt would let anyone publish "CD's" as a plural. There's no justification for it because it is singularly wrong.

dulcificum, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  3. alexa_s

alexa_s Peon

Best Answers:
    Well don't tell any of my employers, who have included some of the oldest-established publishing houses in London, because some of them disagree. :eek:

I think you just like the sound of your own voice, really, don't you?! ;)

alexa_s, Feb 27, 2010 IP
  4. dulcificum

dulcificum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Give me one example of a reputable publisher who does this. Then try to give me one good reason for wantonly publishing an obvious error.

dulcificum, Feb 27, 2010 IP
  5. alexa_s

alexa_s Peon

Best Answers:
    Oxford University Press. Ask me another. [​IMG]

"Wantonly"? Are you sure you're not mixing that up with a kind of Chinese soup, now?

With your evident literary prowess, I wouldn't put it past you.

However, one school of thought is that the apostrophe in abbreviations of that kind is legitimately used to denote "omitted letters", just as the apostrophe in the word "hasn't" denotes a missing "o", for example. This is its alleged historical justification in abbreviations, anyway. I admit I'm not keen on it, myself, but it's a matter of taste, style and preference, however much you might prefer it to be "right and wrong" - and it's imposed on me in some of my editorial work simply because it's the "house style" (all publishers have one, and few editors ever agree with 100% of it). [​IMG]

And now, if you'll excuse me, I've had enough of this particular conversation, so I'll bow out as gracefully as I can muster in the circumstances and invite you to make the most of having the last word: I know people keen on seeing things as "right and wrong" tend to enjoy that. ;)

alexa_s, Feb 27, 2010 IP
  6. dulcificum

dulcificum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not a London publisher. Please point to the style guide recommending this. Everything I've worked on published with OUP uses apostrophes correctly.

Your ignorance amazes me. Firstly, point your browser here: http://www.google.co.uk/dictionary?aq=f&langpair=en|en&hl=en&q=wantonly

Next, actually look up transliterations for 云吞. Finally, realise that soups are not their predominant cooking method.

Way to dodge the question. I'm still waiting for a coherent justification.

dulcificum, Feb 27, 2010 IP
  7. jackeyman

jackeyman Peon

Best Answers:
    many people don't pay more attention on this.

jackeyman, Feb 28, 2010 IP
  8. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Please excuse me, but all this hullabaloo about apostrophes has stimulated my poetic instincts ...........

All he got wrong was an apostrophe
    They acted like it was a catastrophe
    He said he didn't care much about grammar
    They hit him with a big hammer
    Ouch .........................

lightless, Feb 28, 2010 IP
  9. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's funny lightless

I may also add >

This is the end of the noughties and the internet ...

When it comes to search engine optimisation and searches for example, you will likely have a higher majority using incorrect or no apostrophes, so you really have to weigh up what will work very carefully.

Yes in the ideal World people would get it right, undeniably though this is not an ideal World. A higher percentage would use incorrect or no punctuation than would use the stricter and older proper way, so this is where you need to make decisions when it comes to your pages getting found above others who may well be a little to strict and pedanticly written whilst considering factors that are to some extent in some respects a little outdated in this modern day and age.

Don't get me wrong I have deliberated over this many times and recently changed one of my sites from using "World's" instead of "Worlds" as I knew the first was correct, but I still have to consider that most people would use the word "Worlds" without punctuation if I wish to beat others in search engine results.

I make mases of typos on forums myself and you would laugh at my IM contacts as I make a typo on almost every message. Yet I can get page 1 on the likes of Google for pretty much anything I want.

Revelations-Decoder, Feb 28, 2010 IP
  10. dulcificum

dulcificum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Apostrophes don't make any difference to search results. Just have the minimal self respect required to not present yourself as a braindead retard.

dulcificum, Mar 1, 2010 IP
  11. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    I have evidence they do make a difference and you really have to think of the target audience of a site b4 making brash sweeping statements as if your taget audience was teenagers between 14 and 17 say. Not using them would serve much better on occasions, especially for SERPS

Of course if your target market is Company Directors the opposite would be true.

Revelations-Decoder, Mar 1, 2010 IP
  12. dulcificum

dulcificum Active Member

Best Answers:
    So you think that 13-17 year old kids respect blatant stupidity?

dulcificum, Mar 1, 2010 IP
  13. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    No they don't write correct English when on the net in my experience. We had my 15 year old Niece staying with us for five weeks and language her and her friends use and the way they spell things and use slang and "hip" language suited their age groups means that when they communicate online and do searches they use a type of language almost compltely foreign to older people.

I studied the way her and her friends type and use search etc, and you would find it very interesting to see that they just do not care about this type of thing as they have a different language all of their own. So for example the large market for music downloads suited to that age group, spelling grammar and punctuation are of little meaning to them in this instance, nor would it be any real use to do so or worry about it.

It's horses for courses or more markets for markets.

Revelations-Decoder, Mar 1, 2010 IP
    lightless likes this.
  14. dulcificum

dulcificum Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should slap her until she learns do be a proper human being.

dulcificum, Mar 2, 2010 IP
  15. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    That would be hundreds and hundreds of under 18's you would be advocating slapping then, as they nearly all do so. My Nieces contact lists go into the hundreds and each every one of them does exactly the same thing.

It's called the modern Worlds, where times are a changing and such age groups rebel as teenagers always have done and always will and where the slang changes every so often as does the music etc.

Suggesting such a thing is quite repugnant though tbh dulcificum :( You sound like an antiquated out of touch barbarian!

Revelations-Decoder, Mar 2, 2010 IP
  16. alexispetrov

alexispetrov Peon

Best Answers:
    We all make mistakes with a apostrophes from time to time; it doesn't irritate me until someone is constantly doing it - or of course if it's a word like "you're" - in which case there is no excuse.

That said, I think Revelations-Decoder brings up an interesting point about how kids below around 16 use search engines; a point that is frequently overlooked.

As to dulcificum, I don't agree with Revelations-Decoder that you're advocating slapping hundreds of children. In fact, I daresay you are encouraging slapping tens of thousands of children.

We might hate how they type but that is no reason to slap them. How would you feel if I decided to beat your ass until you learn that "You should slap her until she learns do be a proper human being." makes no sense?

Bah.

Alexis.

alexispetrov, Mar 3, 2010 IP
  17. dulcificum

dulcificum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Obviously you are sympathetic because your posts contain dozens of errors too. Why are you so happy to let people be wilfully ignorant?

dulcificum, Mar 3, 2010 IP
  18. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    LOL THIS IS A FORUM DUDE

Why would I care. I heva awlays aisd eht worts kidn of poepel rea theso taht plul ohetrs pu on tpyos no froums

Guess what fella I own a Registered Trademark that evolved from one simple typo and is now a bunch of Teddy Bear Cartoon Characters, so tell me who is learning and seeing the bigger picture?!?!

That was a rhetorical question btw it needs no answer from such an aggressive and close to being rude reactor.

Revelations-Decoder, Mar 3, 2010 IP
  19. dulcificum

dulcificum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Did you misread my question? Stop rambling about irrelevant stuff and respond coherently.

What is a "reactor" in the context above?

dulcificum, Mar 7, 2010 IP
  20. Noahdeck

Noahdeck Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, yes. Grammar has always been one of the biggest problems with outsourcing your content needs but still, it would depend upon having the right choices of outsourcing firms. Even Asia doesn't use English as their main language, there are countries who speak fluently English such as the Philippines. Copywriters from there have also been known good in different niches and from experience, I can say they also have this capability to easily understand instructions on how to formulate article approaches, follow different formats, etc.

Noahdeck, Apr 20, 2010 IP