1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Encrypt $_GET variables?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by egdcltd, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Mrblogs

Mrblogs Peon

Best Answers:
    You could store their current position, and then compare that to the new position (on the new URL), and make sure that it is a valid move that they can make.

Mrblogs, Sep 18, 2006 IP
  2. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    I did figure out a way to do it withoiut using GET; instead I added three new colums to the maps table, and summoned the right map using the zone number from the characters table. Nowhere near as flexible, but much more secure.

egdcltd, Sep 18, 2006 IP
  3. drewbe121212

drewbe121212 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a different oppinion on the security through obscurity thing. I think it can work to keep out the "children" cheaters. You know, the ones that really don't know anything, but know the little tricks that almost everyone knows.

If I change a query string from ?username=Frank and encode it to something similar to:

?3wewfho3234we=2l4645dsaa3sadf

And say my encode / decode functions are of course exactly the same, and proper checks are done on the php page IE

if ($username == "frank")
    {

}
    elseif ($username == "bob")
    {

}

If the user changes the query strings value from 2l4645dsaa3sadf to even something remotely close like 2l4645dsbb3sadf it will be a way off to what the script is looking for. Yes, I know this would not keep out the pro's, but it would be enough to get rid of a few that could do damage otherwise.

Think, if this is a number and the number ends up being 8 characters long encoded and it must match something else in a query lets say, they would have a need in a haystack chance of finding that.

drewbe121212, Sep 18, 2006 IP