1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

EMD Domain - Adwords optimization

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by lafratts, Oct 23, 2012.

Hey Guys,

I have an EMD domain related to travel that was recently hit by Googles EMD update. The site is high quality, lots of unique content, great links, etc. I think it just got hit because it was about 6 months old (was just a landing page before).

Anyways since my busy season is approaching I want to supplement the organic traffic with an adwords campaign.

QUESTION:

Has anyone had experience with EMD adwords campaign? I was hoping that I would be able to get better conversions and click through on the matching domain-keywords .. Anyone have thoughts on this? Any tips, advice?

I appreciate the input!

lafratts, Oct 23, 2012 IP
  2. Lucid Web Marketing

Lucid Web Marketing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I really don't understand this fascination with EMD as if it's the Holy Grail.

Using PPC is a good idea on many fronts, even if you are ranking high organically. It doesn't matter if it's an EMD or not. You are not going to get more clicks because of it. Well you might just because your domain will be bolded on the exact keywords but the main driver of people clicking your ad (and getting a higher Quality Score and lower cost) is what your ad says. A ho-hum, boring ad will get lower CTR no matter what your domain is, although it may get a bit of a boost. Conversions are driven by your landing page and how well it convinces the visitor to buy.

Lucid Web Marketing, Oct 24, 2012 IP
  3. fubar78

fubar78 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Even though it's not exact match, you can enter in anything after your real domain name in the Display URL (for example www.yoursite.com/EMD) so like Lucid Web Marketing said, it's about way more than the EMD. Conversion is about your website/landing page....good calls to action...valuable/informative content...and all of that must relate to your ads and your keyword choices. Use your keywords in your ad text and your bolded keywords in your domain may help as well.

fubar78, Oct 25, 2012 IP
  4. wtg

wtg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i have a site, A review based EMD site on a particular product .. the performence of ads were looking like a natural flow like any other ads.. making changes here and there increased/decreased clicks ctr etc but i dont think EMD played any role in it... Simply because my disaply URL is same as the keyword i searched for will not conveince the user to buy instead these days might flag something phishy .. instead having it in the Ad with a good call to action will work better.. in call to action i prefer to use some non genric terms rather than using check now! or find out more! etc..

wtg, Oct 27, 2012 IP
  5. seolearner5

seolearner5 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I completely agree with lucid here, domain does not play any role as far as PPC is concerned. The traffic generated by ppc depends on the ad and if your landing page is good enough then the click may generate a lead which will benefit you. So carry on the PPC for your website and put up an attractive head and correct landing page and you are through.

Hope this would help,
    Sudarshan Panchang || C COM

seolearner5, Oct 29, 2012 IP
  6. Jake Howard

Jake Howard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dissagree completely with Lucid and Seolearner5.

If I am looking for a Cheap Computer, and there are two ads, with similar content and I have the following options

Ad one: CheapComputers.com.au

Ad Two: BrandnameIT.com.au

I will go would go with Ad one first every time.

If I type something into Google, and there is a website with the URL exactly what I have typed, automatically I think that they are specializing in exactly what I am after.

Jake Howard, Nov 4, 2012 IP
  7. Lucid Web Marketing

Lucid Web Marketing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So you don't read the ads (or presumably organic listings themselves? You just go straight to the domain that matches your search? What if none do? That is a strange way to decide which one to click. You may be doing yourself a dis-service if another listing mentions a benefit you may want or interested in. You'll never see it since you look only at domain names and only if it matches your search term.

Most times that won't happen anyway. Sites advertise to get you to your site but also want to brand themselves in some way. I could have a site named AdwordsManagementServices.com, which would be nice, but I want them to remember Lucid Web Marketing, not a generic name.

I've had plenty of PPC clients and none had a generic domain name. All did well both in maximizing clicks at low cost (thanks to me) and good conversions to maximize ROI. I'm sure there are likely some that would search and click on listings the way you do but I think they would be a small minority. Tell them in your ad or listing that you can provide what they really want and they'll click.

Lucid Web Marketing, Nov 4, 2012 IP