1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Embedded Audio on Wordpress Site

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by treyarnon, Oct 31, 2016.

Hello,

I am currently building a wordpress that will include a technical dictionary. I would like the user to be able to press on a word and hear an audio reproduction of its correct pronunciation. Can anyone suggest how I can do this? I am relatively new to all of this and am a bit lost.

Thank you.

treyarnon, Oct 31, 2016 IP
  2. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would probably need to take a look at a few things to understand a bit more clearly what you need to happen but, I was actually surprised I sort of found something out of the gate that largely does this. I think.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/dictionary-box/ I have not had time to install it but I can in a sec. I have multiple instances of wp running on my dev. server. I will try to slap it somewhere real fast.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Oct 31, 2016 IP
  3. treyarnon

treyarnon Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nigel - thank you very much for taking the time. I really appreciate it. I am building the site to deliver an online business English course related to a particular industry, to people for whom English is not their first language. I will record the audio for each word in my own voice and I want to embed it so that when they click on the word they hear the pronunciation.Alternatively, a small speaker icon next to the word would also be fine. I just need to deliver the recording in the easiest way possible. It sound as if you might be onto something. Thanks again and I'll await your further comments.

treyarnon, Oct 31, 2016 IP
  4. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well. That would partly depend on how many words we are talking about. Wordpress will handle audio files natively now so in theory you can do something like this...

1. Brazil : [audio src="brazil.mp3"]
    2. Technical : [audio src="technical.mp3"]

so, in this case they would probably see a little arrow or audio player. (it would probably need the full url) Unless yanking the words from an actual dictionary this is likely going to wind up being a fairly manual process.

I suspect you can upload all the mp3's and we could install something that would let you select the track from the wp editor and just stick it in there next to the word. I am not aware of anything that would let you simply click a word aside from that plugin I posted above which I can check in a sec.

Is the site online? It would help if I could see what you are doing format wise with the technical terms. I am pretty certain that my idea will work fine as long as we are talking about a list if you will. You would not be able to do this inside a paragraph for instance. It would further be visually ok if it was just an arrow to listen to it rather than have a giant page of terms with an audio player next to it.

http://wiredpen.com/resources/audacity/embedding-audio-files-in-a-wordpress-com-blog/ if you check a few paragraphs down that page you could see what the audio symbol and arrow would look like.

or http://i1.wp.com/wiredpen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/audio-shortcode-wordpress.png

Interesting project though. Happy to help sort it out.
    Nigel

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Nigel Lew, Oct 31, 2016 IP
  5. treyarnon

treyarnon Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Nigel, thanks again. This project is on paper only for now. I'm basically drawing up the site plan and visualising how I want it set up, so I'm not able to send you a link I'm afraid. I found a website offering a Medical English Course which has something similar to what I want to create. Not sure if I am allowed to post links here - I hope it's no problem. http://www.medicalenglish.com/unit/1/vocabulary
    Thanks!

treyarnon, Nov 1, 2016 IP
  6. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ahh ok. That is basically what I explained above. Work should not be as crazy today. I will do that a few ways on a wordpress install somewhere. I have it running abou 10 times for demo purposes. I will send a link to it in a bit. I am just getting up.

N.

Nigel Lew, Nov 1, 2016 IP
  7. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ok I have to field a few phone calls but I have the premise here goo.gl/kfmltZ

I will add the word, description and make that a button only in a few.

N>

Nigel Lew, Nov 1, 2016 IP