1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Email is the killer app

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by anthonycea, Jun 24, 2004.

Larry and Sergey said in a recent interview that Email was MORE important than search and that is the reason they got into the email business.

They mentioned that folks spent a greater percentage of their time using email then searching.

Any articles on this subject would be welcomed, since I lost the one I was going to post. I will go find it.

anthonycea, Jun 24, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What someone needs to do is completely rewrite the SMTP protocol so spam isn't possible. :) Whoever finally does that will truly be a savior.

digitalpoint, Jun 24, 2004 IP
  3. gooner

gooner Peon

Best Answers:
    No doubt a great move by Google also and as they're using the invite system (The same as they're doing with orkut) its also an invaluable source of data as far as tracking social networking is concerned ;)

gooner, Jun 24, 2004 IP
  4. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    How is tracking who they invite invaluable- all they are seeing is a change from to

schlottke, Jun 24, 2004 IP
  5. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    An article in Infoworld details what it would be like with a Google Desktop. In fact, with a Google Supercomputer behind GMail, spam could easily be marked with almost zero false positives. Google would have so much email cached, the anti-spam analytics would be easy.

Help Desk, Jun 24, 2004 IP
  6. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is a valid statement, but I believe they are just using it to phase GMAIL up to full speed. Having an open invite right off the bat would have horrible load issues. Look at Yahoo when they decided to up their storage.

Help Desk, Jun 24, 2004 IP
  7. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Good article TB, really I have seen similar articles on the "search OS" I have a page on the so called search OS on my website.

I put the article on the page.

Thank you for posting it.

8. gooner

gooner Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't have a Gmail account so I can't comment on how much personal profile info Google ask for (or is optional to add with your account) when you sign-up but if its anything like orkut there's loads of scope for data mining on how communities grow and tracking marketing demographics.

Not that im suggesting there's anything underhanded or sinister going on, simply pointing out that there's more ways for services like Gmail and orkut to provide Google with revenue idea's for future products (or improved revenue for existing ones) than simply well targeted advertising.

gooner, Jun 24, 2004 IP
  9. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    "Not that im suggesting there's anything underhanded or sinister going on"

The above quote is by Gooner

There is always something underhanded and sinister going on in business, if there were no bad practices used we would not have antitrust laws in place.

Some folks hate M$ others hate Google, Sun hated M$ for years until they seen the light of going broke. They have kissed and made up with Mr. Gates.

Funny the things folks will do for money, a hungry man will steal food to stay alive.

Business is MEAN BUSINESS, look at Enron, WorldCom, AOL/TimeWarner, there is alway some sort of minipulation going on in large enterprises.

How do you think lawyers and judges make a living.

10. Joel Naten

Joel Naten Guest

Best Answers:
    If everyone started using digital signatures, they could add accepted signatures to their email program. Any email that arrived without a known signature would be moved to the junk mail folder pending acceptance, or just outright deleted. Of course, that would make it difficult to just hand out your email address and have someone email you. You would first need to go to their web page and accept their digital signature into your email program. It's a nice thought anyway.

Joel Naten, Jun 26, 2004 IP