1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Email... Dead? Wordpress CEO runs a billion-dollar company with no offices or email

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by John_Vianny, Jul 12, 2016.

I found this interesting article:

This CEO runs a billion-dollar company with no offices or email

What do you think about this statement AFTER reading?
    "I think email is definitely on its way out, between things like P2 and Slack, which is a work place chat tool. Email just has so many things wrong with it. I've never heard anyone who've said they love email, they want more of it — have you?

Imagine if, in your company, instead of email, everyone could post and comment on a blog. Different groups or teams could have their own space on it, but fundamentally everything was tagged and traceable and transparent. That's kind of what P2 looks like. "

Do you think that mail is going to be replaced soon with a sort of "real-time" messaging?
    Or do you think that people who avoid mail are in fact the people without a job or money, and of course not in target with internet or email marketing?

John_Vianny, Jul 12, 2016 IP
  2. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Nope, email is here to stay.

dcristo, Jul 12, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Email has become the primary mechanism of business communication, internally. What I mean is that communication between employees, vendors, and existing customers/prospects is most often email. Why is this? It is because of its convenience. An email thread typically holds the whole conversation in one scroll-able place which may occur over days or weeks or months. Further, if someone is busy or out for a period of time, the email sits there in their inbox waiting for a reply. But, just as important, and unlike a call or chat session, the replier can reflect on the previous message and take time to compose the best reply. People understand if an email is not immediately returned and this gives the replier some much needed thinking time. No other mechanism really provides all of these benefits.

Reports of email's demise are seriously premature. :)

jrbiz, Jul 12, 2016 IP
  4. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    If I was CEO of a Blog platform I would promote my blog functions by controversial comments. Email is still strong and will be for many years to come, one important reason is as @jrbiz said, the complete conversation as well as legal bindings to it. Chat functions are still being treated as verbal communication, it is not efficient in many cases. There might come a day that emails are gone but no time soon, world ain't ready for that, think of the opportunity cost of that change.

Mehdi.b, Jul 12, 2016 IP
  5. ahsanabrar

ahsanabrar Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Its true that most of people dont like to write or sent formal emails but it can never be replaced by real-time chat or any other private blog spcae coz it also the medium of secret holding and easy findings.

ahsanabrar, Jul 12, 2016 IP
  6. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Email to be stay in the at least 20 year down the road.
    As its widely use for formal business communication.

mentos, Jul 15, 2016 IP
  7. Korbis

Korbis Member

Best Answers:
    People will still be using e-mail for at least five years after the last fax is sent.

Korbis, Jul 15, 2016 IP
  8. John_Vianny

John_Vianny Member

Best Answers:
    The fact is: email are used by business people.

I mean people who NEED to use email.

Maybe the student with the money of the family, or the employee can not rely on the mail, but the business man, which is definately the target of most of us marketers, still use it.

The question is how it will evolve? Would it turn more in an app integrated in the browser such as push notification?

John_Vianny, Jul 19, 2016 IP
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, we already have push notifications for decades with MS Outlook. My Outlook client downloads emails immediately and notifies me when they arrive. I would not waste my time with having to check webmail. Something else that is a standard is using Calendar Invites in Outlook. My sales and marketing teams use them all of the time, not only internally among staff, but with customers and prospects. Do not underestimate how important email and calendar invites are and how much businesspeople rely on MS Outlook for both of these. Yes, Google has email and calendar invites, but generally, Outlook rules the business world.

jrbiz, Jul 19, 2016 IP
  10. John_Vianny

John_Vianny Member

Best Answers:
    Gmail is bigger than outlook. Less people use outlook imho.

John_Vianny, Jul 19, 2016 IP
  11. Rob Whisonant

Rob Whisonant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I could see teams not using email to communicate. In fact other forms like shared notes in Evernote, private blogs etc work well. But for others? Email is still the best form of communication. Especially to a large audience.

Rob Whisonant, Jul 19, 2016 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I probably get more email from test scripts I write than I do for anything useful. Websites still invite me to get their newsletters and I really don't know why, they'll never get read by me no matter how enthusiastic I might be when I sign up. I'm using an online chat box for a lot of the support issues that used to come in via email - they get resolved a lot more quickly that way. The tools that Matt Mullenweg talks about are great for internal communication but external comms are stuck with email for the time being.

sarahk, Jul 19, 2016 IP
  13. gummyworms

gummyworms Active Member

Best Answers:
    So how exactly does he communicate his financial statements between him and his account or read other people's resumes without any privacy. This is just wrong and untrue.
    Is wordpress's earnings somewhere public too, including the employee's social security numbers?

Actually aside from the private vs public post issue, how is he going to communicate with ourside clients, advertising networks without email

gummyworms, Jul 31, 2016 IP