1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Email copywriting

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by geegel, Nov 2, 2006.

I'm attempting to sharpen my skills in email copywriting. Unfortunately the resources I found so far weren't that helpful and they all seem to make the basic assumption that email marketing = spam.

I would really appreciate some hints, tips or online resources covering this particular issue.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, George

geegel, Nov 2, 2006 IP
  2. AndrewCavanagh

AndrewCavanagh Member

Best Answers:
    Here's a few tips to writing email copy that get results...

1. Keep emails low key.

Hype, bold or capitalized words, exclamation marks can all get your reader deleting your email.

2. Spend some time creating a compelling subject for your email.

It has to be short (so it can be read) and it has to get your reader to open the email instead of deleting it.

Usually you target your prospect's pressing need.

And you incite enough curiousity that they have to open the email to find out what it's all about.

Including the reader's name in the subject can help if it's not contrived.

3. Open with something like Hi (firstname),

Your email should look like something they would get from a friend and personalization helps.

4. Your opening line should drag your reader into the email and by itself it should be enough to get your reader to click through to a linke.

5. Put a link under the first paragraph so your reader can immediately click through to the site you're promoting and check it out without having to read the rest of the email.

6. Add more specific compelling reasons your reader should click through and check out the page.

This might be 2-5 paragraphs followed by another link.

7. Yours sincerely,
    Name Of Sender

8. P.S. One more compelling reason your reader should click through now followed by a final link.

That should give you a reasonable outline.

Keep your sentences and your whole email short.

Kindest regards,
    Andrew Cavanagh

AndrewCavanagh, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  3. ILoveWriting

ILoveWriting Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi, I was recently asked to be a guest author for an upcoming Wiley book by a well-known expert on the topic of email marketing (yes, I admit it, it's one of my favorite areas of copywriting!). While I can't share the chapter I wrote, due to a non-disclosure agreement, I can share with you an earlier article that I wrote on this topic.

Here's the link:
    http://www.waldropmarketing.com/killer_emails.html

I hope it's helpful to you. And good luck with your email campaigns!

Sheri

ILoveWriting, Nov 23, 2006 IP
  4. Charisse V

Charisse V Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great article, Sheri!

Thanks for posting it, I will definitely bookmark it!

Charisse V, Nov 24, 2006 IP