1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Efficiant Way to get Dmoz Listing

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by salikkhan, Apr 17, 2011.

1. magran

magran Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a typical DMOZ story.

magran, May 13, 2011 IP
  2. bustour

bustour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a couple of great sites that can't get in and others that have. There seems to be no rhyme or reason, but it has to do with the particular editor who sees your submission. There's really nothing you can do once you've submitted. There use to be a forum where you could check on your submissions, but they wisely removed that as it was just a mess.
    I just submit a site when it's ready, try to fill out the info as good as possible and then try to forget about it.

bustour, May 14, 2011 IP
  3. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There is nothing to say that your other sites simply wait for an evaluation. If they are guideline compliant they will be listed. But you are right that there is no reason behind which sites are evaluated. We have to have editors who want to volunteer to edit in that section of the directory and want to use the suggestions pool. No one can predict when that might be, so you may find that some sites that are guideline compliant may get listed years before an evaluation takes place on others. Sorry but this is a directory that works using volunteer editors who work in their spare time, usually we do not have enough editors to evaluate quickly all sites suggested and because we are volunteers we spend as much or as little time as we can spare. You can speed it up by volunteering to join us, press the button almost every category.

Anonymously, May 15, 2011 IP
  4. Netizenx

Netizenx Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Standard DMOZ smug editor comment.

Standard DMOZ editor contradiction to previous statement.

In which case, why should any Internet user or search engine want to use your services? DMOZ is obviously not able to do the job.

And why do you and other DMOZ editors spend so much time in this forum, other forums and blogs, spouting the same nonsense and trying to justify DMOZ and its policies, instead of maintaining your categories and taking care of the general maintenance of the so called ODP?

It's not an ODP at all, is it? It's a contradiction in terms. Should be renamed the OxyMoronic Project - OMP.

Netizenx, Jun 2, 2011 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  5. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you'll find that only a handful of our ~6500 editors are interested in posting in external forums.

(I spend around 10 minutes a day here as a break from ~8 hours a day of ODP releted activities :).)

jimnoble, Jun 2, 2011 IP
  6. CeilingTiles

CeilingTiles Peon

Best Answers:
    I have submitted multiple sites to DMOZ and never heard anything. Maybe you have to know someone.

CeilingTiles, Jun 2, 2011 IP
  7. Netizenx

Netizenx Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you have 6500 editors, why does it take years to get a site reviewed?

You spend 8 hours a day on ODP 'related' activities and you are just a volunteer?

I admire your dedication. There was a time when I admired ODP. Originally, it mirrored the spirit of the web as it should be, at least it claimed to.

In 1998, the year of ODP's birth, I made my first site submission, and I don't produce junk sites. Ten years since I applied to edit one of your neglected categories.

Don't tell me I didn't follow the guidelines. I'm not an idiot.

DMOZ is owned by AOL now, right? So who's in charge?

Netizenx, Jun 2, 2011 IP
  8. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most editors don't have the luxury of having ample free time to edit as I do. Many can only edit for an hour or so per month or even less. Even so, an hour or so per month's work is better than none at all isn't it?

Also, reviewed and listed aren't the same thing at all. Some areas of the directory attract so much rubbish that only a small percentage is listable.

There must be 2-300 million websites that we haven't yet evaluated - or were you thinking that those suggested by their owners are somehow more worthy than those that haven't been :)?

jimnoble, Jun 2, 2011 IP
  9. Netizenx

Netizenx Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I understand your pain regarding sheer volume of rubbish. Best of luck brother and goodnight.

Netizenx, Jun 2, 2011 IP
  10. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Please popin any time you like and tell me how long I can take the dog for a wlak, how long I can spend over my evening meal, how long I can spend doing the Times crossword, how long I can spend in the shower, how long I can spend making love to my wife.........because you certainly want to tell me how long I can spend of my spare time posting in forums. But let me ask you why you spend any time on forums....oh did I not tell you that I now expect to be able to dictate to you how you spend your spare time you seem very keen to dictate to me and my fellow editors how much of their OWN spare time they spend evaluating the sites site owners want to get listed. You are a joke.

The comments you make saying standard DMOZ smug editor comment, are obviously from someone who still has vitriol about DMOZ in their soul, read on dear readers and look at those comments about not getting accepted as an editor and about site listing....all sour grapes.

I told it as it is based in reality and 10 years of editing, spending hundreds of ours of my spare time listing, you, you tried once and failed and are still hurting obviously. But don't come with your smug comments when I have spend so much time in the directory inplying that editors don't give up enough of their time. My experience is that editors often give up too much time for the directory. Often taking the maxim "Think not what DMOZ can do for you, but what you can do for DMOZ" I have seen editors spend hours agonising over how to list a particular site or set of sites. I have seen editors bring incredible knowledge to help expand the directory structure so as to be accurate and most helpful.

You want to see what really happens before you use such inane comments as 'smug' when you are told the facts. But sour grapes does really set ones teeth on edge and its so sad to see.

Anonymously, Jun 2, 2011 IP