1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Effect on Directories after Google update

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Aayus, Aug 18, 2012.

Now a day Google changes lot of time the strategy. If this change will go continuously than what effect on free directories submission.

Aayus, Aug 18, 2012 IP
  2. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't submit or accept listings that have keyword stuffed anchor text because Penguin has targeted those who do. Other than that, everything that has been already said many times in the forum already.

YMC, Aug 18, 2012 IP
  3. ravdag

ravdag Peon

Best Answers:
    Directories can be effective in google updates but sometimes the pr will decrease. The optimization should always be monitored during the updates but no one knows when will be the next update of google.

ravdag, Aug 22, 2012 IP
  4. jewelraz

jewelraz Active Member

Best Answers:
    So far, I didn't notice any negative affect on my web directory. But my directory site is promoted to PR1 from ? :)

I am very very careful in add listing. I never publish those links who are there just to spam my directory.

jewelraz, Aug 23, 2012 IP
  5. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For those using directories in the way they are intended, there is literally no change in effect.

For those over-submitting to directory lists crammed with bad/weak directories, who use poor submission information, the effect is that they will be penalised in Google. Sadly, that's most people :)

silencer, Aug 23, 2012 IP
  6. websguy

websguy Member

Best Answers:
    It just a rumour about web directories. After penguin update just directories are not effected but blogs, business websites are also badly effected. Google only hitting those who spamming

websguy, Aug 25, 2012 IP
  7. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And yet it IS dangerous to say that directories are not affected. The industry IS affected because there are so many weak spammy directories being built. All those weak spammy directories will get nailed by Penguin. Anyone that lists in a lot of them will also get nailed, especially if they are using spammy information (which is true in most cases). Since very few directory owners on this forum understand what spam is, it wouldn't surprise me if the same people running around saying their directories are quality, human-edited and spam free are going to be the same ones that get nailed the hardest by penguin.

To reiterate - For those using directories in the way they are intended, there is literally no change in effect.

For those over-submitting to directory lists crammed with bad/weak directories, who use poor submission information, the effect is that they will be penalised in Google. Sadly, that's most people

Couldn't have said it better myself ;)

silencer, Aug 26, 2012 IP
  8. kinnethharring

kinnethharring Peon

Best Answers:
    I think there is no problem on that as long you are in the right category.

kinnethharring, Aug 28, 2012 IP
  9. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have noticed no change in traffic or rankings but new listings has gone down very much.. I am thinking I might stop taking new listings and begin to shut my dir section down.

averyz, Aug 28, 2012 IP
  10. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Before you shut down, consider how many of your submissions were coming from SEO companies. Since so many of them seem to think their best defense/excuse with their clients for their bad practices is to blame directories, they might be slowing down their submissions?

YMC, Aug 28, 2012 IP
  11. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Almost all my submissions come from marketing,advertising and seo companies for the past couple of months I have had a lot of requests for other types of ads that pay way better. But it is really making me think that most companies are changing their link building strategy. I am also seeing less and almost no benefits from dir links these days.
    I think I am done with the dir biz.

averyz, Aug 28, 2012 IP
  12. mangobuddy

mangobuddy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Post- Penguine, I am getting good benefit of submissions and links.

mangobuddy, Aug 29, 2012 IP
  13. Johnalex

Johnalex Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Any body have the correct Google guidelines or tips regarding directory submission and social bookmarking back links?

Johnalex, Aug 29, 2012 IP
  14. Saif Rizvi

Saif Rizvi Member

Best Answers:
    There is not such effect of google penguin on web directories as penguin update is meant for avoid spamming and over optimization.

Saif Rizvi, Sep 1, 2012 IP
  15. davocold

davocold Peon

Best Answers:
    Web directories are like any other websites but google only targets bad quality and spammy sites. If a web directory has human edited content and good backlinks it will do good in SEPRs.

davocold, Sep 3, 2012 IP