1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Edit Wikipedia

Discussion in 'Directories' started by giorgioarmani, Dec 16, 2015.

I'm looking to add recently released information about an entry to Wikipedia.

Can anyone assist in doing this correctly?

giorgioarmani, Dec 16, 2015 IP
  2. na9endra

na9endra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    need little bit efforts to add / edit the article in Wikipedia.
    below are the key points to consider before you go ahead.

what ever you are planning to write on wikipedia, you have a conflict of interest with regards to writing about it. For that matter, it's likely your article or entry doesn't meet Wikipedia's notability inclusion guidelines ("notability" being jargon for "availability of good sources"). Even if it does, you will most likely fail to write about it from a neutral point of view as Wikipedia requires. If you try to make an article without satisfying those rules, it'll be deleted, and the visible deletion log entry will both look bad for you and mildly deter anyone else from writing the article.

That said, plenty of you are going to go ahead and try to do this anyway, so I'll give a shot at telling you how to do it right:
    Register an account on Wikipedia. Don't use your organization's name as your username, since that appears to be a "role account", and those aren't allowed. If you must, include it parenthetically after the rest of your username. Using your real name is admirable, but not necessary.

Be transparent about your conflict of interest. On your user page, write at least something along the lines of "I belong to [so and so...]", your role at [so and so....], and your motivation (e.g. whether you've been asked to make an article, or just doing this on your own). Once you start writing the article, you should also mention this on the article or draft talk page. Always err on the side of disclosure, especially since undisclosed paid editing is prohibited in Wikimedia's Terms of Use (see Terms of Use § Refraining from Certain Activities, specifically the "Paid contributions without disclosure" subsection).

Do your research and gather sources. Wikipedia articles should be based on reliable, independent sources, since Wikipedia has a policy of verifiability. This is particularly important because Wikipedia's "notability" inclusion criteria require them—without some, your article will be deleted. Your organization's web site is not an independent source, nor are press releases—avoid citing either. Make sure also that you have a number of sources that talk about your organization in-depth: mentions in passing don't count for notability, though they might be useful for referencing specific facts. Find at least 3–5 solid sources—the more the better. If you can't find enough sources, stop here; your organization doesn't qualify for an article yet.

Start a draft. There's a whole draft namespace, you can use a subpage of your user page or you can work with the Articles for creation system. I think I would use a draft page, but there are plenty of options.

Write the most basic summary of your article possible in one sentence, as though you were answering the question "What's all about [your article]?". For example, Wikipedia's article about itself currently starts with "Wikipedia is a free-access, free content Internet encyclopedia […]". This most basic summary should be the first sentence of your article. Format in bold the first instance of the name of the subject—that's Wikipedia convention. Follow up with a few more details, moving from the general to the specific. If a particular group of details pops up, like the history of the organization, feel free to give it its own section. As you go, use footnoted references to corroborate everything you say. Also, the only link to your website should be at the bottom of the page, in an "External links" section: links elsewhere in the article look spammy.

Review what you've written. In particular, see Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Words to watch and adjust your prose accordingly. Avoid "weasel words" that are vague, "peacock terms" that are just there to make you look good, and any sort of fluff. For example, the local pizza place doesn't "provide on-demand flavour solutions", it delivers pizza. "Fluff" also covers things like mission statements that don't belong in an encyclopedia. If you want to say anything that could be construed in any way as favourable or unfavourable, back it up with a source and make it strictly a statement of fact: don't say "ABC Company. is a leading provider of roadrunner-hunting devices", but perhaps instead say "The Canid Investor Report found that ABC Compay. has had the greatest sales of roadrunner-hunting devices in every year since 1949", with a reference to prove the assertion. Imagine that everything you write will be reviewed by your worst enemy, and write it in such an unarguably factual way that there's nothing they could criticize. Include salient criticism where applicable; even though you probably don't agree with it, if you don't include it, someone else will probably add it later—and they might not be as scrupulous about neutrality as you have to be.

Get someone impartial to review your article, preferably an experienced Wikipedia contributor. Mention in your request that you're involved with the article / entry, and that they should therefore look carefully for issues relating to your conflict of interest. Be humble any time that anyone points out a problem: your interests are best served by fixing the problem rather than arguing or taking offense.
    Once you've fixed any problems and gotten a positive review on the latest version, move the page to the article namespace, i.e. move "Draft:<your entry / article> or similar, to "<your entry / article>". If you don't have the permissions to do it yourself, you can ask for someone else to do it at Wikipedia:Requested moves.

cheers :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    na9endra, Jan 2, 2016 IP
  3. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You're wasting your time, the link will be removed.

dcristo, Jan 2, 2016 IP
  4. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Couldn't agree more with @dcristo, spamming Wikipedia takes too much effort to get your links displayed in there for a very short period of time before being deleted.

Wikipedia editors are aware of all those linking tricks you can think of.

Mystique, Jan 2, 2016 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I've added info to Wikipedia (not links) that I thought was factual and impartial and it's still be removed when someone with a differing view saw it. Even if your changes are approved the next person with an interest in that subject could take the info out.

sarahk, Jan 2, 2016 IP
  6. giorgioarmani

giorgioarmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not looking to add a link but information that is relevant to an architectural building of cultural relevance. If anyone is able to do this for me or instruct me how, please get in touch.

giorgioarmani, Jan 3, 2016 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    At the top of the page you want to make changes there is this:

upload_2016-1-4_10-24-12.png

Have you tried to just create an account and edit?

sarahk, Jan 3, 2016 IP
  8. rahim701

rahim701 Active Member

Best Answers:
    My question is, why on earth u created this thread on directory section? It is not directory related question.

Answer of your problem to edit information:
    • Optional but better to do: Create an account on wiki, if ask, validate your email, wiki will give you little bit respect or wiki will show your ip publicly
    • Read this article on "how to edit wiki article/page", https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:FAQ/Editing
    • If you provided invalid info, it may reverted to previous content
    • If you provide valid info without valid reference, it may reverted to previous content
    • If you have valid reference (ex newpaper article) and still reversed, you can talk with admin. every page have a talk page (ex: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:AT&T_Mobility). You will find the "talk" button at top left side of that page.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
    rahim701, Jan 21, 2016 IP