1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ecommerce from Start to Finish - An Idea.

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by TezzellEnt, Jan 18, 2012.

Just testing the waters here, but I noticed a lot of people online in general (and here with some questions) don't really understand e-commerce; or at least how to start a store up. I tried doing a search on Google and amazon, but I don't think that there any relevant products that would fit the bill. I am thinking of setting this up as an e-book. I am imagining documenting my own experiences in setting up my own profitable niche eCommerce store.

I am wondering if there will be a market for this, and if so what do you think should be included?

So far, here is what I have planned out:

1) Legal Set up (for the united states?): Helping you start up your own small business.
    -This will include EVERYTHING you need to set up a store in terms of the US government (taxes, permits, fees, etc).
    -What to do when tax time comes, how to protect yourself.

2) Market research:
    -What do you want to sell.
    -How to determine market size.
    -Finding wholesalers & dropshippers.
    -etc.

3) Online setup:
    -choosing a domain name.
    -choosing the best hosting.
    -choosing the right shopping cart.
    -the different types, paid vs. free.
    -picking the best payment processor/gateway/etc.
    -setting this all up on the backend. (ssl, databases, dns, etc). A walkthrough how I did it.
    -writing descriptions/taking photos.

4) Business tools:
    -Finances/bookeeping.
    -CRM: (software to keep your customer information, handle marketing campagins, etc)
    -Email marketing.
    -Phone software.
    -Shipping boxes.
    -chat software.

5) Marketing & Optimization:
    -white hat SEO techniques. (both on and off page)
    -email marketing techniques.
    -social media marketing.
    -market engagement.

6) Selling your store?
    -dunno if this should be included, but I have sold two of mine in the past.

Basically what I am imagining is writing out in layman's terms the step by step process in going through all the hoops, and taking the intimidation out of it.

This was all on a whim this morning (due to a dream I had - long story hah). Will it be worth my time and effort to do this? Is there a need? Are there any competing products out there you can think of? What am I missing?

Thanks for reading.

-Tezzell

TezzellEnt, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  2. Jordan260

Jordan260 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The more help people can get the better. So yeah that's a good idea to start an eBook about it.

Jordan260, Jan 21, 2012 IP
  3. secure7478

secure7478 Peon

Best Answers:
    love your idea

secure7478, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  4. frozzy

frozzy Peon

Best Answers:
    Chapter about pitfalls will be interesting. Also it would be great if you could include a couple of success stories in the beginning, this will make the reading more interesting, motivating and exciting.

frozzy, Jan 24, 2012 IP
  5. DonaldT

DonaldT Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am preparing to set up an eCommerce site and have not been able to find a good guide on the topic. I think there is a market for an ebook on this topic. Do you think you could have it completed for tomorrow? ;-) :D

DonaldT, Jan 24, 2012 IP
  6. deepak.pal

deepak.pal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its really a nice article about ecommerce store setup. One thing I must add that you should use Google Analytics to check traffic, st goals and make funnel. It will provide you a smart way to analyze your website and visitors behavior.

deepak.pal, Jan 24, 2012 IP
  7. frozzy

frozzy Peon

Best Answers:
    TezzellEnt, by the way - if you will issue this particular book, please let me know - because I will definitely obtain it with great pleasure :)

frozzy, Jan 25, 2012 IP
  8. TezzellEnt

TezzellEnt Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for the replies. There seems to be some interest, and I will begin work on it immediately. Is there anything else that I am forgetting/missing/leaving out?

Also, I live in California. I am figuring that I will show how I set up my stores legally in this state. I will include my permits, licenses, etc that I had to obtain. Should I research other States/Countries too, or just focus on one and explain that there could be differences?

Jordan260, thank you for your reply. This will be my first ebook I have written, so it will be an interesting experience.

Thank you secure7478, I hope I can under promise and over deliver!

frozzy, I will certainly let you know when the book is completed. If I can restart my old (dead) laptop, I should be able to provide metrics on my 2 other stores. Maybe I can shoulder tap any community members as well who run successful ecommerce stores and include some of my own. I had a question for you, what sort of pitfalls would you want me to include? Did you want me to weigh the pro's and con's of dropshipping vs holding inventory, or was there some other pitfall you wanted me to discuss? Thanks again for your questions and suggestions, they have been taken to heart.

DonaldT, unfortunately I received your message a little too late. I will begin working on it and notify you when it is complete. It shouldn't be too long!

deepak.pal, I'm not sure I fully comprehend but I did forget to include a section on using a software to analyze conversions and marketing campaigns. I will have an overview of Google Analytics included. Thanks!

I hope this was in the right forum category too, I didn't know where else it would fit. A shout out to anyone reading thus far, If you run an ecommerce store, please PM me!

Thanks all!

-Tezzell

TezzellEnt, Jan 25, 2012 IP
  9. PointD

PointD Peon

Best Answers:
    Would be a great help,maybe an introduction What is e commerce store, what are the alternatives etc...

PointD, Jan 25, 2012 IP
  10. DonaldT

DonaldT Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Looking forward to it.

DonaldT, Jan 25, 2012 IP
  11. frozzy

frozzy Peon

Best Answers:
    TezzellEnt - exactly, dropshipping vs holding inventory is very common problem as I know. Also there are some pitfalls connected with getting stuff from other countries, for instance China. How it works - taxes, permits, fees. And also some information about start up capital, the amount of money needed (minimum and maximum).

frozzy, Jan 25, 2012 IP
  12. Appleseed Inc

Appleseed Inc Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds amazing really.

Appleseed Inc, Jan 28, 2012 IP
  13. kelvinp

kelvinp Peon

Best Answers:
    Really good tips, thanks in advance.

kelvinp, Jan 30, 2012 IP
  14. TezzellEnt

TezzellEnt Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    PointD - Thank you for your comment. I will definitely include a section of ecommerce overview. I will also include the alternatives of having your own store (amazon, ebay, etsy, etc). Do you think that would be enough?

DonaldT - I hope that it helps! Thanks again.

frozzy - Those are some excellent suggestions. I will certainly include the pitfalls you stated. I have witnessed (not personally) people getting scammed over at alibaba. That will be something that every beginner needs to be aware of. With taxes, permits and fees; I am familiar with setting up an LLC in California, obtaining city, county and state licenses. I will certainly include resources I used, but I will note a disclaimer that it could be different in other states/countries. I noticed you are in Germany. Should I include information from there as well? If so, where would I be able to locate that info? Thanks again for your comments and suggestions, if you think of anything else feel free to PM me or write on this thread!

AppleseedInc - Thanks, I will do my best to include everything that is pertinent, but also make it easy to digest and get started.

kelvinp - Thank you. I am doing a lot of work to get it packed full of all relevant information. If you can think of anything else that should be included, let me know!

I will try to keep this thread updated as I am working on it. Please check back and let me know all your thoughts.

Best,

-Tezzell

TezzellEnt, Jan 31, 2012 IP
  15. house.com.sa

house.com.sa Member

Best Answers:
    I think if you experience the experiment of other in e-commerce , this is will add a lot to your book

house.com.sa, Feb 5, 2012 IP
  16. winterweb

winterweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, love to see it, maybe you can do something for the European market as well?

Thansk!
    winter

winterweb, Feb 5, 2012 IP
  17. StoreDailyMart

StoreDailyMart Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow! Your thread is great. I do also belong from the ecommerce field. I like all the discussions. Thanks. I am glad to be a part of your post.

StoreDailyMart, Feb 6, 2012 IP
  18. Audrey110

Audrey110 Member

Best Answers:
    Splendid overview of e-commerce. The most important thing for me is to keep CRM (Customer Relationship Management) up. Keep your self updated by the personalized customer service that would let you know about the Customer's choice. Personalized Customer Service is also a advantage of e-commerce... One thing that this thread is missing and that is The advantages and the disadvantages of E-commerce... Other than this it is a good thread...

Audrey110, Feb 8, 2012 IP
  19. TezzellEnt

TezzellEnt Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    house.com.sa - Sorry if I don't understand correctly; Did you mean that because I've developed and sold a few eCommerce stores, it's good that I can give my perspective? Thanks for your comment, and I look forward to your clarification.

winterweb - As I have been writing the ebook, I've been focusing on the legal start up in California. In the future roadmap of the book, I would definitely like to include other markets including some in the EU. Please PM me any information or resources you have regarding forming a company in Europe. I noticed you're in Germany, do you know the process of setting up a Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung (GmBH)? For other's reading this, a GmbH is basically a Limited Liability company popular in Germany. Thanks for your comment winterweb, I look forward to hearing from you!

StoreDailyMart - Thanks for your post as well! If you have any stories to share, please PM me. I'd like to get your perspective.

Audrey110 - I definitely agree on the CRM aspect. Repeat customers and word of mouth advertising cannot be valued enough. By using email marketing, subscribe buttons, specials, and the like I have seen so much customer interaction and the conversion ratios of my stores improve noticeably. CRM software combined with great analytics has allowed me to test certain coupons, PPC ads, and other marketing channels in the past and rate their effectiveness. I will definitely try to weigh the pros and cons of eCommerce as well. Should I look at it from the perspective of a brick & motor shop vs eCommerce, or some other advantage and disadvantage viewpoint? Thanks for your comments.

TezzellEnt, Feb 8, 2012 IP
  20. Dootch

Dootch Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey TezzellEnt, I think it's a great idea. There is a massive need for it. I'm actually working on a similar thing myself.

Cheers,

Luke

Dootch, Feb 13, 2012 IP