1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

eBay Watchers - Getting Attention

Discussion in 'General Business' started by T0PS3O, Feb 14, 2005.

Got some stuff up for grabs on eBay but this time getting no bids.

There are some people watching the items but I'm not sure what that means exactly.

Last time I just e-mailed all previous bidders a few hours before close and this initiated a bidding war beyond comprehension (3 pairs of shoes went for £460 quid).

But with no bidders details or watchers e-mail, I don't know how to reproduce this (or at least try to).

So.. How do I get the attention of the Watchers... Or: What is a 'Watcher'?

Do they receive automatic e-mail update when I change something on the offering? I'd like to 'remind' these watchers (I take it they have an interest, else they wouldn't be 'watching') there's only a few hours left. Might even offer free delivery.

With a few hours left and no bids, what would be your tactics to get rid of this item?

PS. It's clothing BTW.

T0PS3O, Feb 14, 2005 IP
  2. rbucich

rbucich Peon

Best Answers:
    In my experience, and I can speak for myself...many bidders on ebay are reluctant to place bids until the last second out of fear they will get out bid themselves. The only reason to bid on anything early is to set a high proxy bid out of hope that you will win the auction outright in the end and don't want to get caught up in the bidding or won't be near a computer near the end. I have had many auctions with little or no action go crazy at the last second.

As for contacting "watchers," I've never been contacted and have never tried to contact them so I can't say. It doesn't sound like something eBay would encourage and it might be considered "tampering." I know for a fact it is against their rules...as crazy as this sounds, to warn another bidder on a product that you know is fraudulent or a scam.

If the product doesn't sell, just relist it...assuming you had a reserve.
    Hope that helps.

rbucich, Feb 14, 2005 IP
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback.

I know I shouldn't expect bids until the very end. But I'd just like to pitch it once more to those who seem to be interested.

Apart from adding the auction to the 'watch-list' favourites type of list, does it provide any more functionality such as e-mail update when something changes perhaps?

T0PS3O, Feb 14, 2005 IP
  4. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    You can't contact people that are watching your items but I have noticed items that people are watching especially those with at least 3 usually get a fair amount of bids in the last 5 minutes. I sell many items for The Present Shop on Ebay as a way of marketing the website.

Weirfire, Feb 14, 2005 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    One sold, the other didn't.

Relist again....

T0PS3O, Feb 14, 2005 IP
  6. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    The only problem with selling stuff on Ebay is the fees you have to pay. If you're a webmaster then you can get round a lot of the listing fees for things like layouts and images.

I've found it's a good marketing tool though as I get around 3 - 5 visitors per item I sell for them.

7. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Best Answers:
    Register 300 different accounts and add your item to each of their "watch lists"

This will get your item on the ebay "pulse" page, which lists the most popular and most watched items...

p.s.. In case anyone is wondering, i'm only joking about creating all those accounts :D

Starbug, Feb 14, 2005 IP
  8. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    You could get a network of people who sell stuff on Ebay to selectively watch items :)

I'm in :)

9. Heather48DD

Heather48DD Guest

Best Answers:
    It's easy if you have my X-6000 secret code.
    Last time I used it I nailed 1430 watchers in 3 hours time.
    Imagine if I would have let that run for the full 10 days of my auction?
    Anyone want a leg up on the competition let me know.
    My Name is Heather48DD......and the secret code is in my ebook I sell on ebay.
    C ya Heather48DD

Heather48DD, Jan 2, 2008 IP
  10. BasicInternetLessonsD-COM

BasicInternetLessonsD-COM Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been sitting on an old domain I've rarely used.
    BasicInternetLessons . com - and thought I'd get with the times and use E-bay to sell it. Never using E-bay before... except through a workmates account to get a scooter, I listed BasicInternetLessons dot com and saw 2hrs later I had a watcher.

Found this thread from google and now I know exactly what a watcher is and am rather looking forward to whatever if anything will happen from this.

Will try and find you Heather in Ebay.