1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ebay TOS concerning PPC's like adwords

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by linkster, Feb 13, 2006.

I am very new to advertising with ebay. I signed up and decided to just use ppc to dive traffic to ebay. I started with a large list of phrases but I have narrowed it down to the ones that seem to convert to leads etc.

However, now that the campaign is profitalbe I started looking again and the TOS agreement and if I am reading it right i cant bid on the word "ebay" or anything with ebay in it like "how to use ebay".

Also, I was putting the display url in my adwords as www.ebay.com because I am redirecting people to ebay via my affiliate link in the destination url.

It requires a lot of attention and sloothing for keywords but I am making a profit and my commissions earned is going up. However, I am concerned that I will have my money taken back from me if I am violating ebay's TOS with CJ.

Please advise.
    Thanks in advance

linkster, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    They could terminate your affiliation (and probably will) if you don't stop bidding on "ebay".

digitalpoint, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  3. Micromag

Micromag Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They are very direct in their TOS that they do not want "www.ebay.com" in display URL in use in Adwords - I already saw other advertises that dont like this, but never saw one so specific like this.

I'm also doing bad thing like this with other advertise, that do not tell in TOS but they tell this in their Keyword link.

Well, the good news is that I think that is hard to a big advertise like ebay discover that you are violating the TOS in Adwords network.

I don't like to take risks in my business but I would take this risk, if you're making money with this I would give a try.

Just make sure that your Adowrds Ads are very professional and I don't think that you will be in trouble.

Micromag, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  4. linkster

linkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok so two differing views. I dont understand why they will not allow me to use their name if I am redirecting directly to ebay's page. I could see if I were sending them to my hompage wich is not ebay, that they would not want me using that as the display url. However, the cusotomer see's www. ebay.com and when they click my ad they go to ebay.com. Why would they be against this.

Also, isnt it silly not to allow your publishers to bid on your name in any way? Would you rather the ads that appear for searches with your company name be your affiliates or your competition? You may have to share a little revenue, but if the customer decides to look at the ad zones on Google, its seems silly for them to only see your competion. Its better to share than get nothing.

I dont want to email them about this because I dont want my account shut off. Is there a way I could call them lol?

5. Micromag

Best Answers:
    I see 2 main reasons:

1 - they want to protect their name from a possible inadequate Text Ad use.

2 - As is possible to display just 1 "ebay.com" per sponsored search, they do not want competitors in google - if your ad are already being displayed, their ebay ad is not displayed for the same search.

They do not want to the publishers to bid on "ebay" keyword due that if you, me and other publisher begin to bid in this keyword, when they decide to bid for their own product they will need to pay $5,00 per click.

6. linkster

linkster Peon

Best Answers:
    That makes some sense I guess...but as I look at the adwords showing for "ebay" on my datacenter. I see the 1 ebay ad and 8 that are not. To me its better to have those ads filled up by people advertising my product rather than the competition.

Ok so if I do PPC for Ebay, I can only bid on words like "online auction" and never anything like "buy shoes on ebay"? If this is the case doing PPC for them may not be an option for me.

Also, I cant even make my own review page or how to profit with ebay page and call it mydomain.com/ebay-guide.html? Because I would be using ebay in the file name.

7. Micromag

Best Answers:
    what I understand is that you cannot use the "ebay" before the "/" (you can not use the ebay in domain registration).

so you call your domain as you did above:

mydomain.com/ebay-guide.html

but you cannot use:

mydomain-ebay.com/guide.html

8. Micromag

Best Answers:
  9. linkster

linkster Peon

Best Answers:
    ok so i can use whatever.com/ebay-guide.html and I can use that with adwords in the display url. However, I still cant bid on "ebay" or any term with ebay in it like "Sell on ebay" right?

So all of your who are doing ebay are either driving organic traffic or bidding on phases like "how to sell online"

Sorry I am just crushed that I cant use that i cant bid on anything ebay. Bye Bye profits I guess.

linkster, Feb 14, 2006 IP
  10. Micromag

Best Answers:
    use the keyword tool, it is your best friend to find the best keywords - some very nice keywords only appears magically after hours wasted in keyword tool.

Also you earn money from ebay from new signups or you earn also from who buy there?

if you earn from who buy there you're free bid on a keywords like "digital camera" , "camcorder" , "projector" or even "plasma tv" - just make sure to have a specific landing page for each keyword.

Micromag, Feb 14, 2006 IP
  11. linkster

linkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Could i just have my domain in the display url, and in the destination url redirect them to something like:

http ://www.qksrv.net/click-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXX url=http://www.ebay.com/unique-product.html

Something like that? This would allow me to convert at a higher rate I think. Of course I would have to watch the urls for changes.

linkster, Feb 14, 2006 IP
  12. Micromag

Best Answers:
    not sure, but I think that Adwords will not allow you to have too a different display and destination URL:

for example if your display url is:

my-domain.com/e-bay

adwords may not allow a destination url like:

http://www.ebay.com/unique-product.html

to be sure, make a try, create a dummy ad and see if it is approved or not.

Micromag, Feb 14, 2006 IP
  13. Micromag

Best Answers:
    Micromag, Feb 15, 2006 IP
  14. candyoff

candyoff Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Extremely careful with eBay's TOS.
    Its easy to earn money "violating" their TOS, but your earning will be reserved someday and CJ's account will be terminated. They doesnt need to search in Google in order to check who is buying the keyword. Their affiliate links will able record out referral links. You can try to drive traffic to an expired affiliate links and check the "Invalid link report".
    FYI, CJ has Network Quality team who monitor publisher's activies and recently (few months back) they hire "net detective". Google for the news.
    Good luck to you.
    I would recommend u to start opening another account.

candyoff, Feb 20, 2006 IP